27 May, 03:56PM in sunny Singapore!

Mervyn Tan's show trial was a sham

Subscribe to Mervyn Tan's show trial was a sham 151 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    4,918 posts since Mar '05
    • It appears rather suspicious that our beloved government has struck a backroom deal with that sod..

The government's National Arts Council has publicized that he is teaching a Masters class and will be a judge in a music competition in December (http://www.nac.gov.sg/com/com02a.asp?id=36). Also, the Singapore Arts Festival has already listed him as one of the soloist (http://www.singaporeartsfest.com/Programmes2006/).

How can these government agencies put him down on their programme in December unless they know that he will not be paying for his crime in a jail cell somewhere?

In other words, perhaps they knew he CANNOT be jailed. Perhaps the government knew it, perhaps the court knew it and most likely he knew it...

If that were true, the court hearing was a sham, on the level of a kangeroo court in a bannana republic. Could it be that the judge had instructions not to jail him although the law provides for imprisonment or a fine or both?

That loser only came back because he knew they will do a show trial and fine him $5000, which is the maximum anyway. He is not at all concerned about that money...if 60k is peanuts, 5k is pi sai...

Edited by oxford mushroom 24 Nov `05, 6:31AM
    20 posts since Nov '05
    • Originally posted by oxford mushroom:
      Our beloved government has struck a backroom deal with that sod..

The government's National Arts Council has already publicized that he is teaching a Masters class and will be a judege in a music competition in December (http://www.nac.gov.sg/com/com02a.asp?id=36). Also, the Singapore Arts Festival has already listed him as one of the soloist (http://www.singaporeartsfest.com/Programmes2006/).

How can these government agencies put him down on their programme in December unless they know that he will not be paying for his crime in a jail cell somewhere?

In other words, he CANNOT be jailed. The government knew it, the court knew it, he knew it...

The court hearing was a sham, on the level of a kangeroo court in a bannana republic. The judge probably had instructions not to jail him although the law provides for imprisonment or a fine or both.

That loser only came back because he knew they will do a show trial and fine him $5000, which is the maximum anyway. He is not at all concerned about that money...if 60k is peanuts, 5k is pi sai...

oxford mushroom: You seem to haev a very low view of the courts in Singapore. Could it not be that the pianist's performances etc were arranged after the Court had decided on his matter?

4,918 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by jeevna:
      oxford mushroom: You seem to haev a very low view of the courts in Singapore. Could it not be that the pianist's performances etc were arranged after the Court had decided on his matter?

I have respect for most court decisions...just not this one.

It is highly unlikely that they would have waited till now to arrange the line-up of their programme, just a few weeks before the competition, although that's probably going to be their explanation. In any case, it is poor taste to invite a convicted criminal to be a judge at such an event. Are there no suitable judges for a music event in Singapore?

On top of that, the papers had reported that he had written to the authorities before his return. The reason why he had not returned all these years has been the fear of imprisonment. Yet he dares to return now....it is too much of a coincidence that the court chose not to hand out a custodial sentence.

The entire episode smells far too fishy to be above board...

As Gordon Hewart, Lord Chief Justice once said, "...justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done".

I cannot see it and neither can thousands of Singaporeans....

Edited by oxford mushroom 24 Nov `05, 6:49AM
    1,429 posts since Dec '04
      As Gordon Hewart, Lord Chief Justice once said, "...justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done".

I cannot see itand neither can thousands of Singaporeans....

I can see justice only when Giro payment forms are available for male singaporeans like my brother who want to cancel their ns or reservist by paying the pro-rated $5,000 (depending how how much had they served).

It will be a very nice gesture if the army can have multiple mode of payments like Nets, credit cards, and zero-interest installment plans.

49,243 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by jeevna:

let's say you are mervyn tan. will you just step into singapore knowing that you might be jailed and your career might also go down the drain? (after 'sacrificing' so much for it)

will you not use some common sense and make some arrangements? after all singaporean or not he is a popular pianist already.

13,820 posts since Jun '04
    • What are you complaining about? This Melvyn Tan already wrote to the authorities before hand informing them of his intention to comeback. Obviously he had an agreement with the authorities of some sorts. If police can strike some form of agreement with crooks, why cant the authorities?

Edited by shade343 24 Nov `05, 8:55AM
    16,825 posts since Mar '04
    • So Singapore practices plea bargaining after all?

Why didn't they make a deal with Ngyuen Tuong Van? THey could have offered to spare his life in return for information on the drug bosses. Or are they too dependent on dirty Burmese money?

6,647 posts since Aug '05
    • can't afford "brain drain".
      Evil or Very Mad
      the brain that will ran away upon the first fire from the rifle.
      Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

396 posts since Nov '05
    • If we are going to be strict about punishing drug carriers, we should be serious about punishing this guy too! National service and the defense of our nation is of not lesser importance.

That's it.. I'm sending my son overseas after his PSLE and he can either stay there or be famous and pay a $5000 fine.

Also, I'm going to boycott every event the National Arts Council is involve in. I do want to associate myself with criminals. Someone should start a petition calling for his removal as judge.

5,182 posts since Oct '05
    43,014 posts since Oct '03
    291 posts since May '02
    • All these talks about meritocracy, clean and transparent are nonsense. Melvin’s case is double standard loud and clear.

13,820 posts since Jun '04
    • Originally posted by iveco:
      So Singapore practices plea bargaining after all?

Why didn't they make a deal with Ngyuen Tuong Van? THey could have offered to spare his life in return for information on the drug bosses. Or are they too dependent on dirty Burmese money?

That guy wasnt in a position to bargain.

He shld have bargained anywhere else but Singapore.

35,169 posts since Apr '03
    • Originally posted by pat33:
      All these talks about meritocracy, clean and transparent are nonsense. Melvin's case is double standard loud and clear.

Were they ever practised 100%? Laughing

291 posts since May '02
    • Originally posted by LazerLordz:
      Were they ever practised 100%? Laughing

But Melvin case is a current and living proof, isn't it?

• S$5000 is a mockery of the thousands of NSmen who sweat, suffer, sacrefice their time and youth and not to mention opportunitties forgone for their country.

1,721 posts since Sep '05
    291 posts since May '02
    • Originally posted by Salman:
      Most people don't bleed and some don't sweat doing NS.

That is not the point.
      I bet you are some foreigner talent so shut your mouth.

3,013 posts since Aug '05

I cannot see it and neither can thousands of Singaporeans....

Somehow I feel that it is not a verdict of justice, but I do know that in the course of justice, there is always a compassionate side of law. Wink

• Originally posted by pat33:
      That is not the point.
      I bet you are some foreigner talent so shut your mouth.

I paid my dues in the army mister. You shut up.

291 posts since May '02
      I paid my dues in the army mister. You shut up.

Your stupid discussions are highly one sided. Calling people names, like you so smart and know all. You think you can twist other people point of views with your silly pro-govt views with no proper engagement but name calling.

Edited by pat33 24 Nov `05, 1:25PM
    • Am i in any way pro govt on this issue.
      I am not pro govt nor do i have any incentive to.
      I am a logical & reasonable person.
      I am pro reason and logic.

291 posts since May '02
      Am i in any way pro govt on this issue.
      I am not pro govt nor do i have any incentive to.
      I am a logical & reasonable person.
      I am pro reason and logic.

If so dun call people names here because you don't agree to their views. You must know that this world is make up of diff people with diff views.

If you are logical and reasonable you won't act the way you did by calling names and by jeering, do you?

Edited by pat33 24 Nov `05, 2:35PM
    • BTW you may not agree with Robert Teh's point of views. But you must notice by now that he engages you like a gentleman with no name calling or mud slinging. That does not mean he is scared or his views are weaken.

For your info, Robert was here for a very long time. Check previous postings.

I am sure he doesn't want to boost this. I also doesn't want to say until now. I read once about his views being sorted by The Straits Times in The Straits Times.

Edited by pat33 24 Nov `05, 2:36PM
    49,243 posts since Mar '05
      Most people don't bleed and some don't sweat doing NS.

---

Edited by dragg 24 Nov `05, 2:24PM
Please Login or Signup to reply.