03 Sep, 07:30AM in sunny Singapore!

Why are foreign students entitle to S'pore Education grants?

Subscribe to Why are foreign students entitle to S'pore Education grants? 103 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    126 posts since Jan '06
    • While undergoing enrolment for a Part Time course at the Singapore Polytechnic, I was surprised to learn through the Poly's enrolment guidebook, that foreign students studying at the Polytechnic were entitled to tuition grants of $9,850 annualy for 3 years (almost $30,000!). The foreign students annual tuition fees was only $2,260per year if they took up the tuition grants from the Ministry of Education. In order for foreigners to receive Tuition Grants at the Poly, the governments only condition is that foreign students had to work in Singapore upon graduation for a period of 3 years.

I dont recall governments in Australia, England and America handing out tuition grants to foreign students who came to study at their universities from Singapore.

Are these Tuition Grants to foreign students being handed out at the expense of local students in terms of higher fees being paid by our students at tertiary levels? Why are we being so generous in subsidising heavily foreign students at the Polytechnics? On the other hand for my Part Time course at the Poly; I being a Singapore Citizen, have to pay my tuition fees fully up front. I'm not even entitiled to any loans or grants. Sad So on what grounds are these foreign students entitiled to all the taxpayers money?

I fail to understand how the government is providing such huge subsidies to foreign students studying here when the local students have to raise money through loans to pay for their tuition fees. Sad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we are handing out $millions in grants to all foreigners who study here, how do we justify increasing university fees for our local student population? we are giving cash to foreigners while local students have to bear the brunt of higher fees. It doesnt make sense to me! something is wrong here.

Edited by gill_hfc 26 Mar `06, 4:58PM
    74 posts since Jan '06
    • Originally posted by gill_hfc:
      While undergoing enrolment for a Part Time course at the Singapore Polytechnic, I was surprised to learn through the Poly's enrolment guidebook, that foreign students studying at the Polytechnic were entitled to tuition grants of $9,850 annualy. The foreign students annual tuition fees was only $2,260 if they took up the tuition grants from the Ministry of Education. In order for foreigners to receive Tuition Grants at the Poly, the governments only condition is that foreign students had to work in Singapore upon graduation for a period of 3 years.

I dont recall governments in Australia, England and America handing out tuition grants to foreign students who came to study at their universities from Singapore.

Are these Tuition Grants to foreign students being handed out at the expense of local students in terms of higher fees being paid by our students at tertiary levels? Why are we being so generous in subsidising heavily foreign students at the Polytechnics? On the other hand for my Part Time course at the Poly; I being a Singapore Citizen, have to pay my tuition fees fully up front. I'm not even entitiled to any loans or grants. Sad So on what grounds are these foreign students entitiled to all the taxpayers money?

I fail to understand how the government is providing such huge subsidies to foreign students studying here when the local students have to raise money through loans to pay for their tuition fees. Sad

Dear gill_hfc

Well.. The government expects something in return from those foreign students.. It is not as though they get those subsidies for free.

They have to pay it back by working and staying in Singapore for 3 years. The government collects more than S$9850 in various ways such as taxes etc. This is a smart business tactic by the government. They are using this as a source of income.

25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by free thinker:
      Dear gill_hfc

Well.. The government expects something in return from those foreign students.. It is not as though they get those subsidies for free.

They have to pay it back by working and staying in Singapore for 3 years. The government collects more than S$9850 in various ways such as taxes etc. This is a smart business tactic by the government. They are using this as a source of income.

Those subsidies are being paid with our tax money.

By working and staying in Singapore for 3 years, those foreign students end up competing with local workers for the same jobs.

In other words, we are paying foreign students to come and compete with us.

I'll be the first to admit that we do need some foreign talent due to our lack of population base. But the way I see it, the government is doing it to the level of overkill. Rolling Eyes

126 posts since Jan '06
    • Originally posted by free thinker:
      Dear gill_hfc

Dear free thinker

How is this a 'brilliant tactic' exactly?? $9850annualy x 3 years is = almost $30,000! Each foreign stduent is getting $30000 in subsidies over a 3 years course at the Poly. Do you really think by sticking out here for 3 years, working after graduation, these students would be paying back more than $30k in taxes? Its a brilliant deal for someone who comes from another third world country, gets an almost free education in singapore and after that gets to work here for 3 years. Name me 1 country in the world with a similar scheme for foreign students. We are simply to generous at the expense of our local students. No wonder university fees are going up cause we are too busy handing out subsidies to foreigners.

1,828 posts since Mar '06
    • Originally posted by fudgester:
      Those subsidies are being paid with our tax money.

By working and staying in Singapore for 3 years, those foreign students end up competing with local workers for the same jobs.

In other words, we are paying foreign students to come and compete with us.

I'll be the first to admit that we do need some foreign talent due to our lack of population base. But the way I see it, the government is doing it to the level of overkill. Rolling Eyes

Cool I don't know whether is there any change in the above program. When they are bonded, it is telling you that they will be given a job after graduation, Not NS, later can get PR, if they wanted to carry on here. For higher promotion will need to convert to singapore citzen.
      Some went back after 3 years because of better offer, some stayed. Career path when you are only par to par Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad like that only.

Unless there is changes to the programme, else it should be the same.

54,017 posts since Aug '05
      While undergoing enrolment for a Part Time course at the Singapore Polytechnic, I was surprised to learn through the Poly's enrolment guidebook, that foreign students studying at the Polytechnic were entitled to tuition grants of $9,850 annualy for 3 years (almost $30,000!). The foreign students annual tuition fees was only $2,260per year if they took up the tuition grants from the Ministry of Education. In order for foreigners to receive Tuition Grants at the Poly, the governments only condition is that foreign students had to work in Singapore upon graduation for a period of 3 years.

I am pretty sure that other countries aren't as generous as us. However, there are certain policies which prevented foreign students from fulfilling their bonds. I've got a foreign student friend. He tried in vain to look for a job, only to be rejected because he's on a foreign student pass.

So, if the students can't pay back by working here, they have to repay our government fully. In a way, we won't pay for them in vain. However, if they convert that foreign student pass to other things like PR, we will be competing with them. They are willing to accept lower pay for the same job, so we will be out of jobs.

As for paying fees up front, it has always been the case. We don't subsidize part time courses, unless you are upgrading and is working in a company which supports upgrading. That's where the government grants come in. Otherwise, no chance.

67,538 posts since Dec '03
    6,785 posts since Apr '03
    • Originally posted by alwaysdisturbed:
      its juz chasing local students out of the country...

Quitters. Laughing

/runs away Laughing

• Originally posted by ndmmxiaomayi:
      I am pretty sure that other countries aren't as generous as us. However, there are certain policies which prevented foreign students from fulfilling their bonds. I've got a foreign student friend. He tried in vain to look for a job, only to be rejected because he's on a foreign student pass.

So, if the students can't pay back by working here, they have to repay our government fully. In a way, we won't pay for them in vain. However, if they convert that foreign student pass to other things like PR, we will be competing with them. They are willing to accept lower pay for the same job, so we will be out of jobs.

As for paying fees up front, it has always been the case. We don't subsidize part time courses, unless you are upgrading and is working in a company which supports upgrading. That's where the government grants come in. Otherwise, no chance.

My ex company have many. Most changed to citzen, some didn't. My case was worst, 2 ex colleagues from neighbouring come here for uni. Went in slightly early then me. One left after bond completed, better thing to do back home, while another one stayed. Few of my local colleague come together or eariler also no match. Started lower, mainly NS only, later can say "no horse run or home run". Can hit 3rd level without citzenship / PR also can. Some of them converted to citzen go further. like most of my local pioneer, I worked 8 years can only hit 2nd level same as my local colleague. He was slightly lucky cause we create 3rd level for him when we lefted at the 10 years. But pay no much changes.

So if they crossed 2nd level earlier than you, your career path is basically light off unless got "santa" coming to town. Waiting for vacancies and new post not that easy these days. Crossing level, the gap can be near 4 digits, so how much will you be falling behind, will greatly depend on how fast you chased. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . Your performance likely to lose also, because he is a level higher. (No good how to promote, rite)

Yes, if they break their bond, they will need to pay like local scholar who break bonds.

I am not saying that they are not workable, but somehow the feeling is always bad. Cause you will be likely to be behind, unless you look or do for something about it that can help you..

6,785 posts since Apr '03
    • Originally posted by ditzy:
      Quitters. Laughing

/runs away Laughing

if i can enjoy or get the life i wan being a quitter...i wldn't mind...

35,170 posts since Apr '03
    126 posts since Jan '06
    • Still I do not see why foreign students should be entitled to 80% or more grants on their total tuition fees payable. Why cant foreifn students be entitled to only 50% or 60% grants? Does it not occur to the government that the couple of thousands more collected from each student would go towards education investments for its own citizens. Why should students at universities pay higher fees each year when the government is handing out huge subsidies to foreign students who come here to study? It doesnt make sense to me. Do we the citizens come first or foreigners who use our system to improve themselves?

Still I do not see why foreign students should be entitled to 80% or more grants on their total tuition fees payable. Why cant foreifn students be entitled to only 50% or 60% grants? Does it not occur to the government that the couple of thousands more collected from each student would go towards education investments for its own citizens. Why should students at universities pay higher fees each year when the government is handing out huge subsidies to foreign students who come here to study? It doesnt make sense to me. Do we the citizens come first or foreigners who use our system to improve themselves?

Sorry, when we singaporean going oversea, we paid every single cents. (What grant). Only PHD are offered by the Uni (paid for doing research).

I don't understand why should grant be given to foreigner in the first place. Unless already indentified as "talent", using academic records as selection only can be scholar. Should go for scholarship then..
      Wouldn't you think that your privilege had been stolen, not saying our tax payer money then.

5,545 posts since Dec '05
      Still I do not see why foreign students should be entitled to 80% or more grants on their total tuition fees payable. Why cant foreifn students be entitled to only 50% or 60% grants? Does it not occur to the government that the couple of thousands more collected from each student would go towards education investments for its own citizens. Why should students at universities pay higher fees each year when the government is handing out huge subsidies to foreign students who come here to study? It doesnt make sense to me. Do we the citizens come first or foreigners who use our system to improve themselves?

Aiyah,mus understand mah nobody overseas will be willing to pay e full fee at our 'world class' poly n uni mah...so mus give subsidies mah to make it look like its a top choice insititution for foreigners wad

113,434 posts since Jun '04
    30,604 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by sbst275:
      Thought only ASEAN students gets these grants as well?

Nowadays, it seems like as long as you are a foreign student, you can get a lot of grants, privileges or perks from the Singapore government.

No wonder all the local students are complaining.Laughing

54,017 posts since Aug '05

The thing is, more students are going out of Singapore and staying there permanently. And the worst thing is, PM Lee acknowledges that and change a bit of the rules, which doesn't help the situation now.

So, if we can go out of Singapore and spend 40k on studies, get a good job and life, I don't see why you choose not to.

• Originally posted by Chelzea:
      Aiyah,mus understand mah nobody overseas will be willing to pay e full fee at our 'world class' poly n uni mah...so mus give subsidies mah to make it look like its a top choice insititution for foreigners wad

Mr. Green I don't think there was a fire squad behind telling them must come mah. No money don't come mah, come for what.

• Originally posted by ndmmxiaomayi:
      The thing is, more students are going out of Singapore and staying there permanently. And the worst thing is, PM Lee acknowledges that and change a bit of the rules, which doesn't help the situation now.

So, if we can go out of Singapore and spend 40k on studies, get a good job and life, I don't see why you choose not to.

Mr. Green Mr. Green I had never realised that newton's law not working here. "What ever go up must come down li"

Unless due to losses, such as parent's support. else I don't think so easy to settle oversea. No just 40K, for your information. It's 100K cash not CPF.

"God know, I don't know, You don't know and he know" Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

• Originally posted by charlize:
      Nowadays, it seems like as long as you are a foreign student, you can get a lot of grants, privileges or perks from the Singapore government.

No wonder all the local students are complaining.Laughing

Remember that scholar from penang who made the TNP last week? Laughing How do explain that anomaly? Laughing

30,604 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by ditzy:
      Remember that scholar from penang who made the TNP last week? Laughing How do explain that anomaly? Laughing

Sorry, I did not catch that article.

Care to post the link?Laughing

6,523 posts since Feb '05
    • Hello people.
      ..at a institute/ in the life science sector..

here, in this lab, i estimate theres 50 workers in this particular lab. 48 are foreigners. out of the 48, at least 35 are from China, usually Shanghai. with the rest a mixed incluiding, india, ang moh, malaysia etc. all are on contract, fortunately.

the 2 singaporeans are on scholaship bond or temporary status.

i asked why the large number of foreigners. its because singapore has too little PhD holders, so bo pian, hire foreign people. when SGP got enough PhD ppl, the foreingers may get out.

still, this is still a sign of job competition, some more this sector is a very high-paying job

126 posts since Jan '06
    • If we are handing out $millions in grants to all foreigners who study here, how do we justify increasing university fees for our local student population? we are giving cash to foreigners while local students have to bear the brunt of higher fees. It doesnt make sense to me! something is wrong here. Confused Confused

• Originally posted by 105090:
      Hello people.
      ..at a institute/ in the life science sector..

here, in this lab, i estimate theres 50 workers in this particular lab. [b]48 are foreigners
      . out of the 48, at least 35 are from China, usually Shanghai. with the rest a mixed incluiding, india, ang moh, malaysia etc. all are on contract, fortunately.

Singapore do have PHD, except may no in this field only.

i asked why the large number of foreigners. its because singapore has too little PhD holders, so bo pian, hire foreign people. when SGP got enough PhD ppl, the foreingers may get out.

still, this is still a sign of job competition, some more this sector is a very high-paying job
      [/b]

Please Login or Signup to reply.