24 Apr, 01:20AM in sunny Singapore!

Here's More World Class Standards

Subscribe to Here's More World Class Standards 29 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    6,078 posts since Feb '04

• No help for dying dad at Woodlands checkpoint
      Mon, Jul 16, 2007
      The Straits Times

ON JUNE 29, my family and I were on our way to Johor Baru. At about 11.30pm, just after clearing the Malaysian checkpoint at the Causeway, my father had chest pains and breathing difficulty. We had to cancel our trip and return to Singapore. I immediately made a U-turn.
      At about 12.10am, when we arrived at Woodlands checkpoint, I called 995. A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) operator assured me an ambulance would be dispatched as soon as possible and I would be kept informed of its arrival.

I proceeded to booth 15. As there were two cars ahead of us, to save precious time, I pulled up and, leaving the engine running, I ran to the booth, hoping to jump the queue and get our passports endorsed quickly so we could secure medical help for my father.

Seeing the immigration officer engaged, I tapped on the glass panel in desperation. Without allowing me to explain, she slammed the glass door in my face and pushed aside our passports I had placed on her counter to continue serving the two cars before us.

The whole episode took a good 10 minutes and by the time I went back to drive my car to the booth, my father's condition had taken a turn for the worse.

Finally, after our passports had been endorsed, I drove to the red lane for Customs clearance to seek assistance from Customs officers. Another rude shock awaited me there.

Not a single officer came forward to help at first. Subsequently, an officer who noticed my father gasping for breath called for an ambulance. The ambulance eventually arrived but, by then, it was too late as my father had slipped into unconsciousness.

I was appalled by the way the officers conducted themselves.

Also, the assurance by the SCDF operator that an ambulance would be rushed to the scene and I would be kept informed of its whereabouts was false. Isn't 995 meant for emergency only and shouldn't cases involving a dying man be attended to as quickly as possible?

When I sought assistance at the red lane, none of the officers could perform cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Aren't front-line officers manning checkpoints supposed to be trained in CPR? Alternatively, shouldn't a paramedic team be stationed there in the event of an emergency?

If only help had been at hand, it might have saved my father's life.

16,378 posts since Aug '05
    1,406 posts since Jul '06
    • not surprised..I once called 995 and no one picked up the phone after 5 min.

its 12 something, the staff at the checkpoint are reduced. Moreover, at the red lane, where almost no person will "volunteer" to go, of course there will no people lah. He should have driven on the green lane or horn to attract attention mah...i am sure the gurkhas will come running with their MP5 all cocked and ready - at least you get your attention.

6,078 posts since Feb '04

• I mean, it's understandable to NOT expect any kind of assistance or standards from across the causeway, but... to reach our end of the causeway and still not received the kind of WORLD CLASS standards is outrageous..!

How can emergency services be so sloppy?

What happened to the World Class performance?

Where is it?

200 posts since Jun '07
    11,451 posts since May '04
    526 posts since Oct '99
    • You want World Class Standards? Can...

3 Nov 2003
      'Today' newspaper

by Val Chua

Emotions ran high on a balmy Sunday night as the normally stoic Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew nearly broke down while recounting the ordeal his wife went through in London recently.

The troubles that the couple faced - including joining a queue in a free hospital - when Mrs Lee was hit by stroke two Sundays ago, revealed how differently two systems worked.

"I cannot tell you how restless and unhappy we felt," he said at a community event in Jalan Bukit Merah yesterday.

"We run a (healthcare) system where you have to co-pay ... but you get the attention. There, no attention, just join the queue," he said grimly.

The first sign of trouble was that there was no private hospital with CT scan facility at night in London, he told residents and community leaders.

So, Mrs Lee had to go to the NHS hospital nearest to the Four Seasons Hotel where they were staying - a free facility called the Royal London Hospital - and join the queue.

"We waited 45 minutes for the ambulance for a 10-minute drive," said Mr Lee in his first public appearance since the couple returned on Friday.

"In Singapore, within half-an-hour, you would be in SGH (Singapore General Hospital), TTSH (Tan Tock Seng Hospital) ... and within one-and-a-half to two hours flat, you'd know what went wrong."

When Mrs Lee reached The Royal London Hospital at 12.30am, it happened to have three cardiac arrest patients.

Mr Lee was told his wife's brain problem was "not as important" as the cardiac arrest cases, he recounted solemnly. She would have had to wait till 8am the next morning for her CT brain scan if 10 Downing Street had not intervened to get her early attention. High Commissioner Michael Teo had sought help from 10 Downing Street at 2am on Sunday and she received treatment at 3.30am on the night itself.

"Once upon a time, it was a wonderful hospital. But after 40 plus years ... the system cannot deliver. There's no connection between those in the system and the patients," he said.

But it's the way free healthcare systems work, he added, noting that Singapore must not go down that path, even though there are calls for free C class wards in public hospitals here.

"It's how the system works ... They did not discriminate against us," he noted of his London experience.

This contrasted sharply with how quickly Singaporeans - including national carrier Singapore Airlines - reacted to the situation.

Even though doctors initially advised that Mrs Lee stay put in London for three weeks, Mr Lee decided fly her back once her condition stabilised.

And then there was the big worry that she would get a spasm onboard, he recounted.

But he needn't have worried. Within 48 hours, SIA had fitted out SQ321 with medical support of oxygen tanks and other fixtures for a drip.

"No other airline would have done this," Mr Lee said, looking visibly touched.

On board were also two Intensive Care nurses from Changi General Hospital, two doctors, as well as officials from SIA who made sure all the equipment worked.

"Everyone knows his job," said Mr Lee. "Within 12 to 13 hours, we'd reached Changi Airport. It was a big relief," he said. "Twelve to 13 hours. Your heart stops beating sometimes. We landed at Changi Airport. Great relief. I had my granddaughter (Li Xiuqi) with me. She is very fond of her grandmother. She was so relieved."

Mrs Lee was whisked off in an ambulance to Singapore General Hospital, where she is recovering.

"I think this experience has changed my granddaughter's view of Singapore," Mr Lee said.

The overseas ordeal has made him even more assured that Singapore has what it takes to succeed, despite the downturn. "It's how we respond in an emergency that determines how we fight back. And I have enormous confidence that we can fight back."

The Singapore system - with its efficiency and fighting spirit - must be kept, he said.

"You slacken, you choose the easy way, and you'd be finished," he said.

Choking back tears, he added: "I have immense confidence that in an emergency, our people respond ... If we can do that, we can succeed."

• See.. we are so much better than UK

23,162 posts since Jul '04
    • Originally posted by John Wong:
      See.. we are so much better than UK

Laughing Laughing uhh. i dunnoe wad to say.

267 posts since Apr '07
    • So now we truly know it was all lip-service and have been duped into believing world class standard when a life threatening situation like that was brushed aside. Sad indeed. Rolling Eyes

Edited by FocusPoint 17 Jul `07, 5:43PM
    526 posts since Oct '99
    • Wonder if the immigration officer that "slammed the glass door in (his) face" knows his dad died afterwards? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

4,307 posts since Jul '04
    • If a leader is indeed world-class who had himself once been ignored in an emergency in London, would he have allowed patients like this to die due to officers adopting a couldn't-could-less attitude like the scdf officer who promised the ambulance arrival but failed to send the ambulance and the immigration officer who slammed the glass on the dying patient's son's face.

What a hypocrisy to call our hospitals world class when there are so many third-world problems left unsolved at all the government services, TTSH and all the rest?

302 posts since Aug '06
    • see this in the straits times today, very sad to see this happen in one of the "world class" countries...
      Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Originally posted by ShutterBug:

[b]No help for dying dad at Woodlands checkpoint
      Mon, Jul 16, 2007
      The Straits Times

ON JUNE 29, my family and I were on our way to Johor Baru. At about 11.30pm, just after clearing the Malaysian checkpoint at the Causeway, my father had chest pains and breathing difficulty. We had to cancel our trip and return to Singapore. I immediately made a U-turn.
      At about 12.10am, when we arrived at Woodlands checkpoint, I called 995. A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) operator assured me an ambulance would be dispatched as soon as possible and I would be kept informed of its arrival.

I proceeded to booth 15. As there were two cars ahead of us, to save precious time, I pulled up and, leaving the engine running, I ran to the booth, hoping to jump the queue and get our passports endorsed quickly so we could secure medical help for my father.

Seeing the immigration officer engaged, I tapped on the glass panel in desperation. Without allowing me to explain, she slammed the glass door in my face and pushed aside our passports I had placed on her counter to continue serving the two cars before us.

The whole episode took a good 10 minutes and by the time I went back to drive my car to the booth, my father's condition had taken a turn for the worse.

Finally, after our passports had been endorsed, I drove to the red lane for Customs clearance to seek assistance from Customs officers. Another rude shock awaited me there.

Not a single officer came forward to help at first. Subsequently, an officer who noticed my father gasping for breath called for an ambulance. The ambulance eventually arrived but, by then, it was too late as my father had slipped into unconsciousness.

I was appalled by the way the officers conducted themselves.

Also, the assurance by the SCDF operator that an ambulance would be rushed to the scene and I would be kept informed of its whereabouts was false. Isn't 995 meant for emergency only and shouldn't cases involving a dying man be attended to as quickly as possible?

When I sought assistance at the red lane, none of the officers could perform cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Aren't front-line officers manning checkpoints supposed to be trained in CPR? Alternatively, shouldn't a paramedic team be stationed there in the event of an emergency?

If only help had been at hand, it might have saved my father's life.

[/b]

23,162 posts since Jul '04
    • Originally posted by mistyblue:
      the old guy will get world class funeral service...

just like the late ong teng cheong. Laughing

2,114 posts since Apr '06
    • Originally posted by mistyblue:
      the old guy will get world class funeral service...

It probably wouldn't stop there - this regime could always take a leaf out of the legendary North Korean precedence by having a thug's body embalmed and preserved in a specially-erected mausoleum, along with having a couple of murals, portraits and statues on display for self-aggrandisement. If that isn't enough, they could formally confer power to a dead man through the Constitution by making him the Eternal Leader of this regime - all courtesy of public funds extorted from the masses... Laughing

3,355 posts since Feb '06
    49,241 posts since Mar '05
    6,186 posts since Jan '03
    • Originally posted by walesa:
      It probably wouldn't stop there - this regime could always take a leaf out of the legendary North Korean precedence by having a thug's body embalmed and preserved in a specially-erected mausoleum, along with having a couple of murals, portraits and statues on display for self-aggrandisement. If that isn't enough, they could formally confer power to a dead man through the Constitution by making him the Eternal Leader of this regime - all courtesy of public funds extorted from the masses... Laughing

im more concern of if that day will be declared a public holiday for the nation to moan for him. Laughing

624 posts since Jul '07
    • Originally posted by digicharat:
      im more concern of if that day will be declared a public holiday for the nation to moan for him. Laughing

u mean the day the old man leaves the world? if it is, don't worry, you will definitely have public holiday. What I am concern is - are they giving us more than one day public holiday. Should give hor? May be the death day will be made permanently a public holiday for Singapore.

• Originally posted by zix1:
      u mean the day the old man leaves the world? if it is, don't worry, you will definitely have public holiday. What I am concern is - are they giving us more than one day public holiday. Should give hor? May be the death day will be made permanently a public holiday for Singapore.

ya. thats what i meant. like cny, christmas etc.
      just that, that day will be for mourning. everyone must wear black. Crying or Very sad

Edited by digicharat 17 Jul `07, 2:11AM
    624 posts since Jul '07
      ya. thats what i meant. like cny, christmas etc.
      just that, that day will be for moaning. everyone must wear black. Crying or Very sad

why wear black leh, can't wear white, navy blue, grey and so on? anyway, don't think he will die so soon. predict after next election.

• Originally posted by zix1:
      why wear black leh, can't wear white, navy blue, grey and so on? anyway, don't think he will die so soon. predict after next election.

im suspecting the current him is a MK-II.

624 posts since Jul '07
      im suspecting the current him is a MK-II.

wat's MK-II?

Please Login or Signup to reply.