27 Apr, 05:15AM in sunny Singapore!

Hundreds of foreigners with fake degrees nabbed in Singapore

Subscribe to Hundreds of foreigners with fake degrees nabbed in Singapore 33 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    286 posts since Jun '08
    • http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/224287,...

Singapore – More than 400 foreigners were caught last year for lying to Singapore’s Manpower Ministry in their work pass applications, a fourfold increase from 97 cases in 2005, a media report said on Friday. The majority were said to have used fake or forged qualifications in applying for employment passes, necessary for highly qualified people, or S-Passes, for semi-skilled workers, The Straits Times said.

A rising trend of workers using qualifications from bogus universities that sell degrees for little or no studies was also detected.

Making false statements in the applications for work or immigration passes carries stiff penalties, including fines and jail. Foreigners caught are also likely to be repatriated.

IntegraScreen, which does screening work for immigration authorities in several countries in Asia and the Middle East, said about 5 per cent of the resumes are found to be faked.

“The use of diploma mills is exploding as the internet makes buying bogus degrees easier than ever before,” managing director John Baxter was quoted as saying.

“More workers are buying these degrees because they are looking for an edge in the competitive job market,” he noted.

Most degree mills charge between 50 US dollars and 5,000 US dollars for degrees at all levels. Some provide an after-sale service, with phone operators verifying graduations and sending transcripts to prospective employers.

David Leong, head of PeopleWorldwide Consulting, told the newspaper that those who purchase their degrees are not victims, but intend to hoodwink employers or business clients.

30,628 posts since Jul '07
    • another typical problem in attracting foreign talent. Maybe out of 1000, only 400 get caught.

2,749 posts since Jun '08
    • Originally posted by angel7030:

another typical problem in attracting foreign talent. Maybe out of 1000, only 400 get caught.

You really hit the nail on the head.

• Originally posted by Beautiful951:

You really hit the nail on the head.

Same like littering and all other offences mah, not all get caught, a high percentage would had slipped thru. So, becareful ya, some talent here are just acting.

19 posts since Mar '08
    • Originally posted by Hippoyoung:

In the end, it's foreign talent or foreign thrash?

Haha..well put, thrash. So we maybe dealing with a foreign thrash ya. hahaha..

34,548 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by angel7030:

Haha..well put, thrash. So we maybe dealing with a foreign thrash ya. hahaha..

so funny that coming from you ... still pretending to be a singaporean ? ..... icon_lol.gif

• Originally posted by Fatum:

so funny that coming from you ... still pretending to be a singaporean ? ..... icon_lol.gif

ah pui..hehehe

• do you want me to show that you're not Singaporean ? ... just pretending to be one ? ... smile.png

called the IMH schizo hotline I passed you already ? ...

29 posts since Apr '08
    1,614 posts since Jan '05
    • they come to singapore to seek a better life ma.. get S-pass can have better status okie.. what to do.. all this just for their own survival..

1,286 posts since Sep '05
    • Hahaha..the paper chase never ends.

Degree or not, if you are good you stay. Perform badly, sack!

• if the employer is stupid enough not to verify the qualifications when someone comes along with a degree from a university he's never heard of ..... then he deserves to get conned ......

298 posts since Jun '07

if the employer is stupid enough not to verify the qualifications when someone comes along with a degree from a university he's never heard of ..... then he deserves to get conned ......

Sounds like a form of corporate social darwinism to me. teeth.png

595 posts since May '06

if the employer is stupid enough not to verify the qualifications when someone comes along with a degree from a university he's never heard of ..... then he deserves to get conned ......

On second thoughts if the guy comes knocking offering himself at half price of a bona-fide graduate, u teh boss you will have second thoughts too.

1,286 posts since Sep '05
    • If im the employer, i will look at work experience first before the paper qualification. Verify with the companies the employee worked for before hiring.

924 posts since Apr '08
    • for some reason, my filipino maid have a medial degree

she could not give me an answer why she did not become a doctor with the medical degree

in the end, i hired her cos she looks hot

83 posts since Feb '08
    • I am not suprise. My employer (a US MNC) been hiring more and more so called IT Professional from India and the best joke is when they employed this newly Grad from India with Master Degree in Com Sc.

And after 2 years with us.....she still couldn't figure out what is / , /var or /home.Let alone to housekeep them. She don't even know what to do to a full filesystem..GOSH!

Already drawing so much more then us (local) and yet jabbing at us for not teaching her!

All are good talker and really know how to suck-up to the bosses. All day they just talk, brag, eat and complain of not being paid enuff and when problem arise, within second all disappeared...kkn

Also their timing always swee...when thing starts to settle down then only they appears and now they start to "you must do this then do that if still cannot you must execute this command" blah blah blah....

Foreign Talent?! more of a Foreign Pest!

• ah ... but that's one thing we Singaporeans should learn from the Indians ...

their resumes are so darn powerful ... you'd think they were doing some earth shattering research in school ..... and nevermind about not really knowing anything .... being good at pretending to know everything is the key to getting your foot into the door ... no point being good at your job if nobody else knows it .... but if the bosses "think" you are good at your job ....  icon_lol.gif

that's one thing we suck at .... self-promotion ..... icon_lol.gif

924 posts since Apr '08

ah ... but that's one thing we Singaporeans should learn from the Indians ...

their resumes are so darn powerful ... you'd think they were doing some earth shattering research in school ..... and nevermind about not really knowing anything .... being good at pretending to know everything is the key to getting your foot into the door ... no point being good at your job if nobody else knows it .... but if the bosses "think" you are good at your job ....  icon_lol.gif

that's one thing we suck at .... self-promotion ..... icon_lol.gif

agreed, as per my above post, my filipino maid brought a medial degree to a maid position interview as compared to what a few singaporeans did for their job applications.

my coy just recently have a recruitment drive for a few admin positions, more than 50% of the applicants submitted half assed resumes that looked more like a result slip than a real resume. my impression is that singaporeans just do not bother to present themselves professionally

Edited by ChiBet 12 Aug `08, 4:06PM
    2,749 posts since Jun '08
    6,691 posts since Apr '05
    924 posts since Apr '08
    • Originally posted by newcomer:

so have u screwed your maid?

oh sorry for the misunderstanding about the maid thing.

my maid is back in Brunei taking care of my parents but sometimes i wondered if my dad screwed the maid yet.

she is really pretty

6,691 posts since Apr '05
    3,117 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by ChiBet:

for some reason, my filipino maid have a medial degree

she could not give me an answer why she did not become a doctor with the medical degree

in the end, i hired her cos she looks hot

U never ask her for a physical exam of your body?

Please Login or Signup to reply.