25 Apr, 06:25PM in sunny Singapore!

PM Lee says it’s possible 4 S'pore 2 hav minority race pm

Subscribe to PM Lee says it’s possible 4 S'pore 2 hav minority race pm 51 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    121 posts since Aug '05
    • Paving the way for our current Finance Minister?

From Channelnewsasia

SINGAPORE: Fresh from the historic win of US President-elect Barrack Obama, Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said it's possible for the country to have a minority race Prime Minister. But, in his first public comment on the subject, Mr Lee said he does not think it will happen anytime soon.

Speaking at a dialogue session with grassroots leaders from the Malay community on Saturday, Mr Lee also touched on the implications of protectionist policies for the local workforce, amidst the current downturn.

It was a historic day when Barrack Obama became the first elected African-American US President. But Mr Lee pointed out that Obama's victory does not mean race is no longer an issue in the US.

He noted poll results showed Republican John McCain secured most of the white votes while Obama scored with the Latin, Asian and African-American electorate.

And in Singapore, he believes the reality is that race-based voting patterns will remain.

Mr Lee said: "Can we one day have a non-Chinese, a Malay-Muslim Prime Minister? It's possible. Will it happen soon? I don't think so because finally you have to win votes and these sentiments. Who votes for whom and what makes him identify with that person? These are sentiments that do not disappear completely for a long time, even if people did not talk about it or even if people wish they did not feel it."

Mr Lee added that although the situation today is very different from 20 to 30 years ago, no country in the world is totally race or religion-blind.

PM Lee continued: "The population's attitudes have shifted because English is more of a common ground, because the new generation is better educated and I think they can see that there are successful people of all races.

“But to become a position where everybody is totally race-blind and religion-blind, I think that's very difficult. You will not find it in any country in the world.”

34-year-old Member of Parliament Zaqy Mohamad was more optimistic.

He said: "I agree with PM that a candidate for prime minister has to be based on ability and acceptance by the majority of Singaporeans. I think today with the younger generation who've gone through post-independence Singapore, I think they are a lot more accepting and race-blind.

“In my lifetime, I'm not sure I will see one, but I think if someone comes forth with the right ability and proven track record, it could be a reality."

Foreign workers was another hot topic.

Participants were concerned that they are taking up precious jobs from locals amidst the current downturn.

However, Mr Lee said that foreign workers took the brunt of job lay-offs in the last recession between 2001 and 2003 and if it wasn't for them, the unemployment rate among Singaporeans would have been much higher.

He said: "If we just send away the foreign workers now, it will do us harm. For example - companies which are already in difficulty and they hire half foreign workers and half Singaporeans and you tell them that foreign workers must go out. And when you take Singaporeans, his cost will go up and the company may close. And if the company closes, even the half who have jobs may lose their jobs.

“So I don't think it's that simple. You send out the foreign workers and the Singaporeans will take over the jobs and you get paid more. I think our interest is to protect the Singaporeans and look after the Singaporeans but we must do it intelligently, we cannot just react and do something without thinking."

Mr Lee also advised workers to hold on to regular jobs which contribute to the Central Provident Fund (CPF) for better long term financial protection.

He cautions that even though contract or odd jobs may enable workers to take home more pay, it's much riskier given the current uncertain job market. - CNA/vm

595 posts since May '06
    • If race is not an issue, then this article would not have came out.
      Remember singapore is a society based on MERITOCRACY, so what is the purpose of saying that some other races can be the PM? Iznt that obvious...

4,878 posts since Dec '03
    • It is funny to see a unworthy pinocchio commenting for the future of the appointment holder.

It is pretty obvious that he is elected through his blood relation with a old man.

His capabilities is seriously in question with so many foul-up and honest mistakes made by his hip-hop and also worthless team.

Not to mention the chilli powder that he have added to the wound of the people in this times of recession or inflation.

118,819 posts since Dec '03
    2,336 posts since Mar '08
    459 posts since Dec '06
    • I agree with Whiskers. Should the question of one's race even surface? On Friday's New Paper,  Dhanabalan would have been considered for the post of PM if not for his Indian ethnicity. Apparently, at that time, 'Singapore is not yet ready for an Indian PM' [from the article].

We are supposed to be a society based on meritocracy. Provided the person is capable enough for the job, his ethnicity shouldn't be a factor... should it?

Why the questions about whether or not it is possible to have someone from an ethnic minority to become PM?

It begets a lot more questions...

Edited by Tiggerific 09 Nov `08, 12:19AM
    2,432 posts since Dec '06
    17,715 posts since Feb '04
    10,447 posts since Jul '05
    6,889 posts since Jan '03
    • It shouldn't EVEN be a question, let alone an issue... if our concept of racial harmony is truly as what it is said to be...

So are they implying that the post of PM has extra barriers for the minorities?

3,400 posts since Dec '03
    • Originally posted by redDUST:

i really think shanmugam and vivian have fair chance to be pm.

don't think so, highly unlikely, especially if you're talking about a "democratic" nation, only way a non chinese can become a pm right now is for singapore to be a ditatorship based on meritocracy. especially in our region where there're so many racial problems, how many would actually vote in a minority pm?

i can't see myself voting for any of them at the moment, really need one of those with a halo before i'm convinced of voting for them

Edited by oldbreadstinks 09 Nov `08, 3:33AM
  • ` ~ `
    8,715 posts since Oct '02
    • Originally posted by kokwhye:

Paving the way for our current Finance Minister?

From Channelnewsasia

SINGAPORE: Fresh from the historic win of US President-elect Barrack Obama, Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said it's possible for the country to have a minority race Prime Minister. But, in his first public comment on the subject, Mr Lee said he does not think it will happen anytime soon.

Speaking at a dialogue session with grassroots leaders from the Malay community on Saturday, Mr Lee also touched on the implications of protectionist policies for the local workforce, amidst the current downturn.

It was a historic day when Barrack Obama became the first elected African-American US President. But Mr Lee pointed out that Obama's victory does not mean race is no longer an issue in the US.

He noted poll results showed Republican John McCain secured most of the white votes while Obama scored with the Latin, Asian and African-American electorate.

Did PM LHL check his facts before shooting his reply ?

According to the CIA Factbook 2008.  - the July 2008 US Population estimate was 303,824,640; while the ethnic breakdown {as of July 2007 estimate} was White 79.96%, Black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaskan native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more miscellaneious races 1.61%.

By ethnicity: Barack Obama won 96% of African Americans, 68% of Latinos, 64% of Asians, and 44% of whites. In 2004, Kerry won 89% of African Americans, 55% of Latinos, 56% of Asians, and 41% of whites. So Obama gained the most among ethnic minorities.  

In the US Census, it remains a fact that Latinos can be counted as Whites, or counted separately from the Whites who are then indicated as non-Latino Whites.

With the African-Americans forming 12.85% of the US Population, even with 96% of the Votes from the African-Americans could not bring Obama into the White House.

It is purely distracting to claim that the Whites voted mainly with McCain, when the majority of the various ethnic groups had voted for Obama - across the ethnic divide - with even various ethnic groups including Whites from the Republicans giving their votes to Obama.

In this US General Election on 4 November 2008, race or ethnicity was not an issue - as it was Economics was the main cause for the US Electorate giving their votes to elect Obama as the 44th President of the USA. 

And in Singapore, he believes the reality is that race-based voting patterns will remain.

Mr Lee said: "Can we one day have a non-Chinese, a Malay-Muslim Prime Minister? It's possible. Will it happen soon? I don't think so because finally you have to win votes and these sentiments. Who votes for whom and what makes him identify with that person? These are sentiments that do not disappear completely for a long time, even if people did not talk about it or even if people wish they did not feel it."

Mr Lee added that although the situation today is very different from 20 to 30 years ago, no country in the world is totally race or religion-blind.

PM Lee continued: "The population's attitudes have shifted because English is more of a common ground, because the new generation is better educated and I think they can see that there are successful people of all races.

“But to become a position where everybody is totally race-blind and religion-blind, I think that's very difficult. You will not find it in any country in the world.”

It is unfortunate that while PM LHL can see that the "population's attitudes have shifted because English is more of a common ground, because the new generation is better educated and I think they can see that there are successful people of all races" - the boorish attitude towards Race and Ethnicity remains a central theme of his Government.

This can be seen in the HDB policy of restricting the number of minority ethnic group in staying in each block. The minority ethnic group can re-sell their HDB home only to another minority ethic person.

Such manipulation with various Government guidelines, rules, and regulations had continue to allow the SG Ruling Party some certainty in not allowing any concentrations of minority group from working in concert to apply political pressures.

34-year-old Member of Parliament Zaqy Mohamad was more optimistic.

He said: "I agree with PM that a candidate for prime minister has to be based on ability and acceptance by the majority of Singaporeans. I think today with the younger generation who've gone through post-independence Singapore, I think they are a lot more accepting and race-blind.

“In my lifetime, I'm not sure I will see one, but I think if someone comes forth with the right ability and proven track record, it could be a reality."

MP Zaqy had to be diplomatic with his views even as he contradict the statement made by his PM LHL - and seems to tow the Party line concerning "someone comes forth with the right ability and proven track record".

If the US Citizens had waited for someone with any proven track record, Obama would not even have seen any Nomination Forms.

The US would have been the poorer today.

Foreign workers was another hot topic.

Participants were concerned that they are taking up precious jobs from locals amidst the current downturn.

However, Mr Lee said that foreign workers took the brunt of job lay-offs in the last recession between 2001 and 2003 and if it wasn't for them, the unemployment rate among Singaporeans would have been much higher.

He said: "If we just send away the foreign workers now, it will do us harm. For example - companies which are already in difficulty and they hire half foreign workers and half Singaporeans and you tell them that foreign workers must go out. And when you take Singaporeans, his cost will go up and the company may close. And if the company closes, even the half who have jobs may lose their jobs.

“So I don't think it's that simple. You send out the foreign workers and the Singaporeans will take over the jobs and you get paid more. I think our interest is to protect the Singaporeans and look after the Singaporeans but we must do it intelligently, we cannot just react and do something without thinking."

It is silly logic that circumvent the entire problem.

With the SG economy still dependent on industries that need cheap labor, it is not surprising that more foreign workers are multiplying their presence in SG; with the controlled wages that even the SG workers will find it insufficient to raise more kids that this SG Government has been encouraging.

In his usual fashion of blowing smoke - he had to make the last paragraph above, it is clear that LHL will pretend to be intelligent by seemingly show you the way forward, but he will take the first exit out and let you continue towards the edge - as he has no clue even how to waddle his way forward despite all the well propagated talents.

Mr Lee also advised workers to hold on to regular jobs which contribute to the Central Provident Fund (CPF) for better long term financial protection.

He cautions that even though contract or odd jobs may enable workers to take home more pay, it's much riskier given the current uncertain job market. - CNA/vm

Are there any regular jobs to be hold on to when it was PM LHL's administration that promoted and insisted that employers must be helped by all SG Workers accepting his Government sponsored idea that there is no "Iron Rice Bowl"; and it will be most advantageous for all sides that SG Workers are employed on short-term contracts ?

12,915 posts since Sep '06
    •  

LHL thinking of arranged marriage for his kids? icon_lol.gif

Chinese + Malay and Chinese + Indian will be half minority race. icon_lol.gif

Edited by maurizio13 09 Nov `08, 4:57AM
    16,470 posts since Oct '06

• ...one main criterion is whether he/she is willing to lick ass-holes of the despots... allow old despot to continue taking massive amounts of public money, essentially allow the father son and hoy goh to continue in government... till death do they go...

2,396 posts since Dec '07
    • It is also possible to have AIDS cured someday . . .

Tyrants only want to make themselves look good. . .what democracy? It's a family run island. That's the fact.

I'm a victim of grave abuses from psychotic people in power with access to telepathic person(s) in Singapore . All abuses are to convince people I'm mentally ill to cover their grave evil. Telepathy is not a far off fiction. It's a fact

30,628 posts since Jul '07
    • Originally posted by Miracles&Prophecies:

It is also possible to have AIDS cured someday . . .

Tyrants only want to make themselves look good. . .what democracy? It's a family run island. That's the fact.

I'm a victim of grave abuses from psychotic people in power with access to telepathic person(s) in Singapore . All abuses are to convince people I'm mentally ill to cover their grave evil. Telepathy is not a far off fiction. It's a fact

gravely abused, well, changi airport is open 24 hrs, u can alway leave if needed, no string attached ya.

• Originally posted by I-like-flings(m):

did his son or him just got some ang moh preg by accident???

or his son got  some negro from africa preg...or mongol model, or Chennai maid??

I thot president scholars was taught on how to use condom??

i really think shanmugam and vivian have fair chance to be pm.

pm, Personal Maid ar??

• Originally posted by AndrewPKYap:

...one main criterion is whether he/she is willing to lick ass-holes of the despots... allow old despot to continue taking massive amounts of public money, essentially allow the father son and hoy goh to continue in government... till death do they go...

Aiya Unker, we talking about race lah, how everything u also like lick here and there, worst then dog. And race got nothing to do with money and despot. Stay focus ya. And take yr medicines. Boil water.

2,336 posts since Mar '08
    • Originally posted by oldbreadstinks:

don't think so, highly unlikely, especially if you're talking about a "democratic" nation, only way a non chinese can become a pm right now is for singapore to be a ditatorship based on meritocracy. especially in our region where there're so many racial problems, how many would actually vote in a minority pm?

i can't see myself voting for any of them at the moment, really need one of those with a halo before i'm convinced of voting for them

you don't vote for them. when the party wins, they can jolly well name who they want to be pm, typically the secretary general.

if they named a non-chinese as a sec-gen, and put him in a safe constituency to get his election ticket, you cannot do diddly squat about it.

Edited by redDUST 09 Nov `08, 10:33AM
    • Originally posted by angel7030:

pm, Personal Maid ar??

no, pimp minister.

3,400 posts since Dec '03

you don't vote for them. when the party wins, they can jolly well name who they want to be pm, typically the secretary general.

if they named a non-chinese as a sec-gen, and put him in a safe constituency to get his election ticket, you cannot do diddly squat about it.

after playing the race cards for so long, i kinda feel if a minority race was choosen for pm by the pap and assuming the polls aren't rigged, things could turn out badly for them. they've always played it up that certain minority races cannot be trusted with sensitive positions. most of the people i know in my circle are actually quite biased against minority races, sometimes due to stereotyping other times through negative experiences.

we can already see all sorts of nonsense threads here regarding color and smell liao.

1,576 posts since Jul '08
    • The race issue died out a long time ago since Deng Xiao Peng's famouse remark on White or black cat. It was that phrase which caused us to drop our long held prejudical nonsense and notion that some people are more equal and capable than others.

Since that time, we had seen with our own eyes how right Deng was. We are all but humans, no matter what ethnic group we belong. We can screw up big time, but at the same time, we can uplift lives.

It is opportunity that matters, whether that person given it can measure up or screw up big time. And that's how Singaporeans will measure and choose their leaders, not on color, smell, hair or whatever nonsense some armchair can think up of.

Even if he/she comes from the minority malay ethnic group, he/she will have the opportunity to be the PM if found capable, or humanly capable, to lead and uplift our society and take it to greater social achievement and economic heights  .

Our forefathers had freed this ethnic group from having to bow or scrape before 'above the law' tyrants, monarchs, minor petty kings and their offsprings, for our malays and succeeding generations are now equal before anyone one of them. We are a republic, where equality prevails and need never kneel before any man or principalities.

267 posts since Apr '07
    • Maybe what 'he' is trying to imply is that his family is still not ready to let go of them helm when the children of his children of his children....will continue to hold the fort icon_lol.gif. I mean hey, nowadays with such advance medical technology it's not difficult to produce offsprings to carry on the family's dynasty. So, sure the chances of having a different race PM is there BUT you gotta wait long longicon_lol.gif

5,009 posts since Aug '07
Please Login or Signup to reply.