30 Apr, 10:50PM in sunny Singapore!

PAP MP Louis Ng to work as healthcare worker, cleaner, etc

Subscribe to PAP MP Louis Ng to work as healthcare worker, cleaner, etc 20 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    1,667 posts since Oct '08
    • PAP MP Louis Ng to work as healthcare worker, cleaner, GrabCar driver

PAP MP Louis Ng to work as healthcare worker, cleaner, GrabCar driver
      Member of Parliament Louis Ng's first stint takes place this month at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, where he will serve as a healthcare worker in a C Class ward for one full shift. Photo: @Louis Ng Kok Kwang/Facebook
      Animal welfare activist to try on different hats to understand what’s happening “on the ground”
      PUBLISHED: 12:53 AM, NOVEMBER 4, 2015
      UPDATED: 7:20 AM, NOVEMBER 4, 2015

SINGAPORE — Member of Parliament and animal welfare activist Louis Ng is planning to walk in the shoes of ordinary Singaporeans — literally, by taking on jobs as a GrabCar driver, a healthcare worker, a coffeeshop assistant and a police officer, among others, for at least a day every month.

Sharing this plan in a Facebook post yesterday (Nov 3), Mr Ng, who was elected MP for Nee Soon GRC in the Sept 11 polls, said to “really understand and really see what’s happening on the ground” and make a difference, he wanted to gain some first-hand experience.

When contacted, Mr Ng, who is also founder and executive director of Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (ACRES), said he had been thinking about which issues to raise in Parliament when the House sits in January — the first sitting after the General Election.

While MPs traditionally engage residents through house visits, dialogue sessions and Meet-the-People Sessions, he wanted to do so by going to the ground, he said. “(For example) with cleaners...it’s a way to understand municipal issues,” he said. 
He hopes to do one stint every month for the next five years, and aims to return to these jobs so that they are not once-off affairs. “I’m really excited about this, gaining more experience and using these experiences to help draft my questions in Parliament and help improve policies in Singapore,” Mr Ng said.

His first stint takes place this month at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, where he will serve as a healthcare worker in a C Class ward for one full shift. There, he hopes to engage the staff and patients. “I will do every thing a healthcare worker does in his or her normal shift and do an actual shift at the hospital. From this experience, I hope to not only see how we can help healthcare workers but also how we can make things better for hospital patients,” Mr Ng wrote in his post.

Next month, he will be a GrabCar driver, where he will offer free rides to passengers while soliciting views from them. He will donate the value of the rides towards buying Christmas presents for the children of Nee Soon residents living in rental flats.

In January, he will try out being a town council cleaner — noting this was appropriate as he is also chairman of Nee-Soon Town Council. And he is in talks with the Singapore Police Force, in hopes of joining one of their Community Policing Units for neighbourhood patrol.

Other experiences he is planning to take on include a wildlife rescue officer and a secondary school student, and he also urged the public to put up suggestions.

Last year, eight French politicians disguised themselves as citizens struggling with real-world problems — such as using a wheelchair for a day and trying to find affordable housing as a low-income citizen — for a television programme. The aim was to raise awareness of social issues and draw lessons from the experience, but the move also drew brickbats from political watchers who called it a gimmick.

In 2013, then-Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg went undercover as a taxi driver to engage citizens, footage of which he later released as a campaign video for elections that year. Mr Stoltenberg, who had served eight years as Prime Minister, did not win a third term in office.

Asked whether his stints could be seen as a stunt, and whether it would impose on the operations of various organisations, Mr Ng stressed that he was there to work and help as much as he can. “I told Khoo Teck Puat, ‘no special treatment’,” he said. “I think there will always be negative comments, but I genuinely want to gain experience...I’m very positive there will be positive change.”

17,326 posts since Jun '10
    • Aiya, this type all political inclined one lah, to really put yourself into a layman shoe, first of all, relinquish all your position and paid, work for few years, than I will say, you really nos 1.

With current MP getting allowance of16000k per month, not counting his or her own business and profession, you ask me to sweep the floor and throw rubbish, I also dun mind…if really want to support, give yr allowance to the unfortunate ones, then I truly salute you.

Edited by bowah 05 Nov `15, 2:18PM
    1,758 posts since Sep '09
    • We drive grab must pay rent. This farker gets a free car and is paid by grab for the publicity.

Lao ren cleaner collect can and cardboard to supplement income. This mp will spend all his time talking cock with other cleanes to canvas pap votes inatead of washing and clearing toilet shit.

This kind of “pretending” marketing blitz campaign make me despise him even more.

1,992 posts since Nov '11
    • Grab got give $$ mah, got temasek support leh. Want to drive taxis, still hv to take licence, pump chao diesel, then hv to join those lau Uncles like me TCSS, he use his Merc or BM to grab car liao mah.

• Originally posted by f1taxidriver:

We drive grab must pay rent. This farker gets a free car and is paid by grab for the publicity.

Lao ren cleaner collect can and cardboard to supplement income. This mp will spend all his time talking cock with other cleanes to canvas pap votes inatead of washing and clearing toilet shit.

This kind of “pretending” marketing blitz campaign make me despise him even more.

Yalor, paid him so high to do all these shit, why not go solve poor people problem, you mean Nee Soon all very rich one.

16,812 posts since Mar '04
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    262,008 posts since Dec '99
    9 posts since Nov '15
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    7 posts since Nov '15
    2,457 posts since Jun '11
    9 posts since Feb '09
    • When MP not on the ground, ppl complain they dun know what its like for us regular joes. Now that there's one actively on the ground, also kenna complain..... lol

• u mean a chief operation manager dont need to noe his job well?

still can do on the job trainning ar?

5 posts since Nov '15
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • Originally posted by Csimthiam:

So that he will understand how these low profile people does.

thats HR problem

16,812 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by Zhanzhao:

When MP not on the ground, ppl complain they dun know what its like for us regular joes. Now that there's one actively on the ground, also kenna complain..... lol

because he is PAP.

31,261 posts since Oct '02
    • Last season was Tuck Yew taking MRT and Bus.

Now is this Louis Koo... I mean Louis Ng...

Is it every now and then, they will draw lots to see who has to perform Wayang?

24 posts since Dec '15
Please Login or Signup to reply.