25 Apr, 06:33PM in sunny Singapore!

Militarily strongest nation in South East Asia

Subscribe to Militarily strongest nation in South East Asia 62 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • Texcoco II's Avatar
    3,015 posts since Oct '05
    • Which is the most powerful country in terms of military by it’s equipment, capabilities and resources? I think my opinion is on Thailand. Their forces as far I can see, are very well equipped

  • leo-kun's Avatar
    2,163 posts since Jun '05
    • singapore in term of equipment however how many of us are willing to die for nation?

  • martin_lim85's Avatar
    5,832 posts since Jun '04
    • Originally posted by leo-kun:
      singapore in term of equipment however how many of us are willing to die for nation?

      Laughing if they pay me more i will.

      btw i think US is more advance

  • tvdog's Avatar
    855 posts since Feb '04
    • Originally posted by martin_lim85:
      btw i think US is more advance

      Yes, very keen observation. But US not in SE Asia. Cool

  • sgf's Avatar
    368 posts since Feb '06
    • Originally posted by leo-kun:
      singapore in term of equipment however how many of us are willing to die for nation?

      If someone's pointing a gun at you or your family, are you gonna shoot the mother f*cker or are you gonna run? Let's not forget. We are not just defending the land or the flag. We're also defending our loved ones. Remember what happened during the Jap occupation? That could very well happen again if S'pore ever gets invaded. So the question is, are you prepared to see your loved ones get subjected to that kinda sh*t?

      Money? Of course more pay is good. But don't forget, we are not mercenaries who fight for money. At least not me. No, I'm not pretending to a patriot. I'm just saying I'm not gonna flee & leave my family behind to die that's all.

  • martin_lim85's Avatar
    5,832 posts since Jun '04
    • Originally posted by tvdog:
      Yes, very keen observation. But US not in SE Asia. Cool

      oops my bad, hmm so now i think is japan?

  • leo-kun's Avatar
    2,163 posts since Jun '05
    • Originally posted by sgf:
      If someone's pointing a gun at you or your family, are you gonna shoot the mother f*cker or are you gonna run? Let's not forget. We are not just defending the land or the flag. We're also defending our loved ones. Remember what happened during the Jap occupation? That could very well happen again if S'pore ever gets invaded. So the question is, are you prepared to see your loved ones get subjected to that kinda sh*t?

      Money? Of course more pay is good. But don't forget, we are not mercenaries who fight for money. At least not me. No, I'm not pretending to a patriot. I'm just saying I'm not gonna flee & leave my family behind to die that's all.

      you are right family is the priorty what do you think?

  • UandMe's Avatar
    1,390 posts since Oct '02
  • leo-kun's Avatar
    2,163 posts since Jun '05
    • Originally posted by UandMe:
      we are not going to flee & leave our families behind to die too... we will flee with our families. does that sound better? Laughing

      no we will defend our nation to ensure our family safety better?

  • sgf's Avatar
    368 posts since Feb '06
    • Originally posted by leo-kun:
      you are right family is the priorty what do you think?

      Well you were the one asking how many people are willing to defend the country. And my answer is simple. If you don't defend the country, your family will suffer. Now are you (not you literally but anyone) willing to let your family & loved ones suffer? If not then there shouldn't be any doubt as to whether you will fight or not.

      But of course if you (once again, not literally) are a coward & would rather abscond even if it means dumping your loved ones behind to get slaughtered, then its a different story lah.

      Many people seem to forget that if war does break out, we are not just fighting for the land or the PAP or the Lee Dynasty. We're also fighting to protect our loves ones. Because as long as the country is in a state of war, they are not safe. So will we fight? I leave that to the individual to choose.

    • UandMe:

      You seriously think 4 million S'poreans can flee in time? Considering how small the country is. Not to mention they'd probably bombard Changi airport as one of their first targets. So how do you figure out on escaping? Getting your whole family on a sampan & then rowing to Timbucktoo? Rolling Eyes

  • mhcampboy's Avatar
    23,405 posts since Feb '06
    • I believe in times of war, no one can escape from singapore. Why? This is just my opinion. If lets say we are going to war, our GOV surely will have the intelligence about it. I dun think they will wake up one day and say today sg will go to war. Hence they will surely know war is brewing soon and will close and block all exits out of singapore beforehand. So the citizens lan lan got to fight for their country. Cool

  • ben1406's Avatar
    1,831 posts since Nov '04
    • Originally posted by martin_lim85:
      oops my bad, hmm so now i think is japan?

      mate, japan is not part of S.E.A either.. don't think you are / were a history student during secondary school eh ?

  • sgf's Avatar
    368 posts since Feb '06
    • Here’s a clue for lost sheep. Countries in the ASEAN grouping are countries in SEA. In terms of size, I’d say Indonesia’s military is probably the largest. As for strongest, that’s really hard to say. Size isn’t everything, neither is military hardware.

  • LazerLordz's Avatar
    35,169 posts since Apr '03
    • Originally posted by mhcampboy:
      I believe in times of war, no one can escape from singapore. Why? This is just my opinion. If lets say we are going to war, our GOV surely will have the intelligence about it. I dun think they will wake up one day and say today sg will go to war. Hence they will surely know war is brewing soon and will close and block all exits out of singapore beforehand. So the citizens lan lan got to fight for their country. Cool

      In the first place, we will never let war come to our shores, the SAF is designed to fight wars abroad.

  • fudgester's Avatar
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by LazerLordz:
      In the first place, we will never let war come to our shores, the SAF is designed to fight wars abroad.

      Otherwise known as the principal of forward defence.

      By applying the concepts of forward defence, we run the risk of being seen as the agressors. That's not something we can really afford to have. We need all the allies we can get.

      At the same time, it's not as if we have much of a choice. If we allow war to come to Singapore's shores, we're screwed regardless of the outcome of the war. There's only so much space to maneuver in 650 km2 of land. That's not much land for the enemy to pulverise, either. So we've got to take the war to the agressor's land and pray really, really hard that we don't get labelled as the agressors in the process.

  • Texcoco II's Avatar
    3,015 posts since Oct '05
  • tripwire's Avatar
    2,470 posts since Feb '01
    • Originally posted by leo-kun:
      singapore in term of equipment however how many of us are willing to die for nation?

      didnt realise that i have a choice... where do i sign? Laughing

  • Fatum's Avatar
    34,548 posts since Aug '05

    • now if we can get our eyes beyond the SM1s .... in terms of hardware and spending, we are the strongest militarily (though I'm not sure how much of it are spent on personnel salary, we certainly have the highest paid officers corp :lolSmile... even in terms of fully mobilized strength, we're still up there somewhere ...

      but in terms of experience and fighting spirit .... I dunno .... Wink

      we're not the only country in SEA that has conscription btw .... and no ... I'm not talking about malaysia's boys scout camps ..... Thailand also has conscription, also they call up people selectively, and by ballot ... each province will have a certain quota for each intake ....

  • sgf's Avatar
    368 posts since Feb '06
    • Originally posted by Fatum:
      now if we can get our eyes beyond the SM1s .... in terms of hardware and spending, we are the strongest militarily (though I'm not sure how much of it are spent on personnel salary, we certainly have the highest paid officers corp :lolSmile... even in terms of fully mobilized strength, we're still up there somewhere ...

      but in terms of experience and fighting spirit .... I dunno .... Wink

      we're not the only country in SEA that has conscription btw .... and no ... I'm not talking about malaysia's boys scout camps ..... Thailand also has conscription, also they call up people selectively, and by ballot ... each province will have a certain quota for each intake ....

      Vietnamese & Flipinos have some form of training too though I wouldn't exactly call it NS. More like part time military attachment to learn some simple military tactics & weapons handling.

  • spartan6's Avatar
    1,132 posts since Mar '06
  • arjun's Avatar
    130 posts since Mar '06
    • Never knew that you have the Gurkha's in the Army.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore

      But one thing I will say is that Singapore cannot afford a war with any nation.
      Nor do I think that there will be an attack on Singapore because it will have a great impact on the global economy and no one will risk a confrontation with the U.S and sanction imposed on them by the U.N after the attack.

      image

      One thing is clear is that Indonesia is a major force there in South-East Asia. Vietnamese are very good in Guerilla warfare. SG's strengh strength is its airforce.

      It is also very interesting to note that you have a NCC and their website is pretty impressive.
      http://www.ncc.org.sg/

      India Desert Trekking
      22 Nov to 2nd Dec 2005

      2 Teacher Officers, and 6 cadets participated in this overseas adventure training programme from 22 nd Nov to 2 nd Dec 05. The group met up with NCC India cadets who were their hosts and companions across the desert trek. The trek was conducted on camels and it was a truely new experience, learning the creature’s character and moods. The cadets were also able to immerse in the rich culture and wonderful people Laughing in India during the trip. It was definitely an exciting and educational experience.

      Photos:
      http://www.ncc.org.sg/events/India%20Desert%20Trekking/index.html

      Edited by arjun 21 May `06, 10:23PM
  • dragg's Avatar
    49,241 posts since Mar '05
  • martin_lim85's Avatar
    5,832 posts since Jun '04
    • Originally posted by ben1406:
      mate, japan is not part of S.E.A either.. don't think you are / were a history student during secondary school eh ?

      hahaha i not history student. then bo bian SEA i know afew nia lol. then singapore liao

Please Login or Signup to reply.