30 Jul, 11:10PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Aunt Agony

Pure or Combined Science

Subscribe to Pure or Combined Science 42 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • ChairmanJay's Avatar
    850 posts since Dec '05
  • OasisBlue's Avatar
    4,312 posts since Jan '06
    • triple sci!

      if u take combine u have lower marks... compare to taking 2 or 3 sci together

      Edited by OasisBlue 29 Jun `06, 7:01PM
  • missqi's Avatar
    15,893 posts since May '06
    • Pure!
      I did triple pure then dropped bio!
      LOL.
      Do pure better lah, because all your options are open-whether jc or poly.
      If you do combined, go jc cannot catch up, esp physics.
      sooooooooo.............

      PURE SCIENCES.
      Mr. Green

  • R3SsH|n's Avatar
    9,753 posts since Apr '05
  • used's Avatar
    5,460 posts since May '06
    • Originally posted by missqi:
      Pure!
      I did triple pure then dropped bio!
      LOL.
      Do pure better lah, because all your options are open-whether jc or poly.
      If you do combined, go jc cannot catch up, esp physics.
      sooooooooo.............

      PURE SCIENCES.
      Mr. Green

      x2 Very Happy Mr. Green Very Happy

  • darknessfall's Avatar
    1,146 posts since Mar '05
    • before you ask which is better, tell us if you can cope or not first? are you strong in your studies?

      basically, weaker students are not encouraged to take biology because it requires a lot of memory work. its like history, memorising like mad..

      it also depends on what you want to do next time..if you plan to take courses other than science in poly or JC, then forget about your pure sciences..

  • ndmmxiaomayi's Avatar
    54,017 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by ChairmanJay:
      Which is better? What's their pros and cons? Can anyone tell me please? Confused Confused

      If it's just about studies, pure sciences would be good. Reason being, you will not have problems understanding parts of the modules once you go JC or poly. It also save you some time reading up and trying to understand.

      Considering other factors, it may not be good for you to choose pure sciences.

      One, is your ability to cope. Some Secondary 3 students are retained or they dropped or they are downgraded if the results are not satisfactory. Most science students have to A Maths as well, which adds on to the pressure. If you can cope, it's all right. The worst is you take only one pure science subject, and if you drop it, there may not be enough subjects to take O Levels, and you are forced to continue doing.

      Second, your strengths. Some schools have weird combinations, so if the combinations happen to be your weakness, then it's going to be tough for you.

      The advantage of taking combined science is that the other science subject can help pull up your science grades. For example, you are good at Chemistry, but fail badly for Physics, your good Chemistry marks will be able to help you pass Science. If you take pure, you won't have such chance.

  • missqi's Avatar
    15,893 posts since May '06
    • but i found pure sc quite easy leh.
      take triple.
      then drop one of the sciences that u r not so good in.

  • aiglosicicle's Avatar
    1,246 posts since Mar '06
  • Hocklez's Avatar
    4,633 posts since Oct '03
    • u wan pure gold or those fake pasa malam gold? everyone will take the pure one la...

      ok, people will tell u alot of adv of fake pasa malam gold, but then it is always human mentality to get the best. imagine u offer either one, u chose the fake gold? Laughing Laughing

  • FlowerGrass's Avatar
    98 posts since Jun '06
    • Originally posted by missqi:
      Pure!
      I did triple pure then dropped bio!
      LOL.
      Do pure better lah, because all your options are open-whether jc or poly.
      If you do combined, go jc cannot catch up, esp physics.
      sooooooooo.............

      PURE SCIENCES.
      Mr. Green

      PURE!! Science!
      Pure Science = study 2 subjects and aggregate as 2 separate module (save time)

      Combined science = study 2 subjects but one module (waste Time, as i find generally pure science is just a bit detailed only its not difficult la. )

  • missqi's Avatar
    15,893 posts since May '06
  • M©+square's Avatar
    22,845 posts since Nov '02
  • Chelzea's Avatar
    5,545 posts since Dec '05
    • Originally posted by darknessfall:
      before you ask which is better, tell us if you can cope or not first? are you strong in your studies?

      basically, weaker students are not encouraged to take biology because it requires a lot of memory work. its like history, memorising like mad..

      it also depends on what you want to do next time..if you plan to take courses other than science in poly or JC, then forget about your pure sciences..

      Chem oso memorise untill siao

      Confused Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil esp at A level

    • Originally posted by ndmmxiaomayi:
      If it's just about studies, pure sciences would be good. Reason being, you will not have problems understanding parts of the modules once you go JC or poly. It also save you some time reading up and trying to understand.

      Considering other factors, it may not be good for you to choose pure sciences.

      One, is your ability to cope. Some Secondary 3 students are retained or they dropped or they are downgraded if the results are not satisfactory. Most science students have to A Maths as well, which adds on to the pressure. If you can cope, it's all right. The worst is you take only one pure science subject, and if you drop it, there may not be enough subjects to take O Levels, and you are forced to continue doing.

      Second, your strengths. Some schools have weird combinations, so if the combinations happen to be your weakness, then it's going to be tough for you.

      The advantage of taking combined science is that the other science subject can help pull up your science grades. For example, you are good at Chemistry, but fail badly for Physics, your good Chemistry marks will be able to help you pass Science. If you take pure, you won't have such chance.

      no lah,initially all ppl will take 2 pure sci .Dat e min.

  • gohkatkat's Avatar
    699 posts since May '06
    • Originally posted by ChairmanJay:
      Which is better? What's their pros and cons? Can anyone tell me please? Confused Confused

      pure triple science??? they still offer??? my oh my.........looking back at the time when i slogged through all that stuff......horrible.......its tough.....but it is good because you have alot of options........but don't get crappy results....

  • whereismyrib's Avatar
    1,242 posts since Nov '05
    • I took combined science(phys/chem) and pure bio.

      If you take combine science and go JC, then u need to catch up on what you have lose out on physics, chemistry and biology. It CAN be done. And I did it and better than some of my friends who took pure sciences. Need to put in extra effort lor.

      I would suggest taking pure sciences if you have decided to go JC. Of course, pure science would be a bit tougher than combined sciences.

      Good luck!

      Edited by whereismyrib 30 Jun `06, 1:49AM
  • starExcaliblur's Avatar
    379 posts since Nov '04
    • Chemistry, physics, biology, which subject r u interested in?
      Jus choose e 1 u r interested in & excel in it regardless whether its pure science or combined science.

  • ndmmxiaomayi's Avatar
    54,017 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by Chelzea:
      no lah,initially all ppl will take 2 pure sci .Dat e min.

      I take one pure science only.

  • fudgester's Avatar
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • You need to consider what you want to do in the future, post-secondary.

      If you want to do anything related to engineering or the sciences, you're gonna need pure science. Perhaps you might be able to get through with combined sciences (I'm not sure what the poly requirements are), but you're definitely going to have the edge with Pure Science.

      For that matter, you're going to need A Maths as well. A good scientist or a good engineer is a good mathematician as well.

  • casino_king's Avatar
    4,493 posts since Feb '06
    • Originally posted by ChairmanJay:
      Which is better? What's their pros and cons? Can anyone tell me please? Confused Confused

      You need to give us lots more information about yourself.

      What were your sec 2 results or mid year sec 2 results, by subject?

      What are your ECAs?

      Do you know what you want to do in life? If yes, what is it?

      What is your typical day at home like?

      Are you from a normal happy family.

      Are you parents supportive of condemning types?

      Can you find help to do your school/homework easily, like help from your mum or dad or bro and sis?

  • Chelzea's Avatar
    5,545 posts since Dec '05
  • bounce34's Avatar
    313 posts since Aug '05
    • i take combined. Sad
      what do you mean by all this pure and combined that makes it so freaking complicating. ( this is what sec 2 will think) haha !

      Combined sciences:
      - you will take either physics and chem or physics or bio.
      - Total mark adds together for this 2 subjects is counted as 1 subjected marks.
      eg. results for test/exams:
      Physics 50/100
      Chemistry 50/100

      report book will appear like : Sciences : 50/100

      - Quite similar to pure sciences but u learn lesser things
      - Easier if you understand.
      - Assure an A1 or A's if u score well.

      Pure sciences:
      - You will take either physics and chem and bio or physics and chem or physic and bio.
      - Grades are counted as per individual grades unlike combined sciences is counted as 1 subject.
      eg. Physic - A1
      Chemistry - A1
      Bio - A1
      - Can score A's if u understand well.
      - If you dont understand or doesnt score well in pure, you can drop to combined sciences. ( have quite a few class mates who take pure sciences and later drop to take combined sciences)
      - People say is better .

      that my 2 cents of ideas. hope u understand

      finally, make the right decision, normally the school will decide which one u will take, which determines that Your results must be good in order to go to pure sciences class.

      Study hard ! Very Happy

      Edited by bounce34 30 Jun `06, 5:38PM
  • stellazio's Avatar
    47,811 posts since Apr '05
  • CenturionMBT's Avatar
    3,001 posts since May '01
Please Login or Signup to reply.