20 Apr, 05:13AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Aunt Agony

Improving english...

Subscribe to Improving english... 29 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    40 posts since Jul '05
    • Hi! I have language still problem. Why I say that is because I’m zero with Chinese (despite I’m a chinese) and my english is no where go either as I can spell ( forgetting how to spell words from time ot time even after I used it a few times ) and I don’t know how to pronounce words like people names ( like ‘Yvonne’, why does it have a ‘E’ sound when there is an ‘E’ to begin. Unless I am typing online with my computer ( with an online dictionary on ) I dead! But even with the dictionary, it also took me sometime to get the right letters to get to the correct word I want to spell. How can I improve or lean? Is there any special program for people with this problems? Please don’t tell me I must read more books as I tried and I don’t enjoy it as to me words is words. I can’t form the words into a scene in my head. I’m a picture person. Anyway I look for other ways I could do to solve this problem. Wish for anyones help. Please advice!

1,755 posts since Mar '06
    149,694 posts since Feb '01
    • keep reading.. and reading a LOT...

from things like Asterix comics to books.. just read and use.. you'll start to figure things out really quickly after a while Smile

good luck Very Happy

5,005 posts since May '05
    • read more....

start with simpler books like comics and stuff.... then move on to story books

keep a small dictionary by you... and when you can't understand any word, look it up...

up keep a good english conversation with friends... have a pact with friends with gd english/chinese to correct you whenever you made a pronounciation or grammer error...

it takes time... don't rush it

12,026 posts since Jan '07
    • does your sentence makes sense to you or not?

if it does, then you have to do a reality check

do try to pick up a book and read

it will improve your english alot

23,162 posts since Jul '04
    • Originally posted by allentyb:
      does your sentence makes sense to you or not?

not to mention, reading is FUN!!! Laughing

40 posts since Jul '05
    • Originally posted by allentyb:
      does your sentence makes sense to you or not?

What are you saiding? Anyway, I do read comic and watch those Jap anime with the english sub and play RPG games ( lots of words involve ).. Is there any others ways like the type of books I can read up on besides what the rest of you have generally saiding ( read more ). Can you be more specific.

38,115 posts since Jun '05
    1,430 posts since Feb '07
    • Originally posted by ShellFish:
      Hi! I have language still problem. Why I say that is because I'm zero with Chinese (despite I'm a chinese) and my english is no where go either as I can spell ( forgetting how to spell words from time ot time even after I used it a few times ) and I don't know how to pronounce words like people names ( like 'Yvonne', why does it have a 'E' sound when there is an 'E' to begin. Unless I am typing online with my computer ( with an online dictionary on ) I dead! But even with the dictionary, it also took me sometime to get the right letters to get to the correct word I want to spell. How can I improve or lean? Is there any special program for people with this problems? Please don't tell me I must read more books as I tried and I don't enjoy it as to me words is words. I can't form the words into a scene in my head. I'm a picture person. Anyway I look for other ways I could do to solve this problem. Wish for anyones help. Please advice!

Do you have difficulty recognising words even though you know those words? Your difficulties made me suspect that you might have dyslexia which is a condition or learning disability which causes difficulty with reading and writing.

40 posts since Jul '05
    • Yes! I may have dyslexia. But mine is not the extreme type that I hear about. I’m at my 20s ++ already. So I’m embarrassed when someone ask me ” Aren’t you talking notes? ” Sign… Is there any special learning matter for people with dyslexia?

149,694 posts since Feb '01
    • just keep reading... and read stuff which can improve your general knowledge too Smile

go to Book Buddies to check out some of the books reviewed there.. and go from there..

again, reading is good fun.. and your ability to have images in your mind may help... reading isn't a race... read and stop, think about the images and link the words to the images..

notice how they structure the sentences and the descriptive words used.. after a while, it will become second nature Smile

8,961 posts since Sep '04
    • Originally posted by yihao93:
      try reading picture books to begin wif,then slowly advance
      Razz

Comics.
      Captain America Killed.
      Read all about it.

154 posts since Oct '06
    • Originally posted by mancha:
      Comics.
      Captain America Killed.
      Read all about it.

L-O-L

+1

37,916 posts since Jan '05
    7,293 posts since Jan '07
    272 posts since Sep '04
    • Originally posted by Ito_^:
      ^5! Laughing

^10

Mr. Green Mr. Green read books tat interests u, try 2 figure out e meaning of the word u dunno, den test yurself time to time.. it will help u remember it better.. and try 2 use it those words in speech often.. dun scare being incorrect Smile need support from frens too Mr. Green Mr. Green better to tok more wif frens tat are gd wif eng

6 posts since Mar '07
    • I dont think reading books help in anyway now since it seems broken up to you.

Watch slow paced movies, those with sub-titles. That i think can build your structure strength.

Thats for a start i guess..

• i still think reading is the best way to go...

when you read, notice how they form their sentences... what kinda words... grammer and stuff...

then try to apply it onto your everyday conversations...

do you speak english often?

16,111 posts since Dec '06
    • Originally posted by ShellFish:
      Hi! I have language still problem. Why I say that is because I'm zero with Chinese (despite I'm a chinese) and my english is no where go either as I can spell ( forgetting how to spell words from time ot time even after I used it a few times ) and I don't know how to pronounce words like people names ( like 'Yvonne', why does it have a 'E' sound when there is an 'E' to begin. Unless I am typing online with my computer ( with an online dictionary on ) I dead! But even with the dictionary, it also took me sometime to get the right letters to get to the correct word I want to spell. How can I improve or lean? Is there any special program for people with this problems? Please don't tell me I must read more books as I tried and I don't enjoy it as to me words is words. I can't form the words into a scene in my head. I'm a picture person. Anyway I look for other ways I could do to solve this problem. Wish for anyones help. Please advice!

wow! finally got someone same as me!
      chinese i always get aroung 10+ nia
      english 50+ always teacher help to pull up one... if not retain liao...

343 posts since Dec '06
    2,796 posts since Nov '04
    • read a hell lot more; a dictionary would be of great help! converse with people who are linguistically-inclined; proficient in English - be it in speech or written text. stop speaking to cheena people!

And obviously, read more chinese books and newspapers to improve your chinese; do integrate with cheenas and stop mixing around with kentangs! Laughing Mr. Green

- I'm leaving out those who are versatile; they make up only about a pathetic 1% of the whole SG population. Laughing

1,894 posts since Dec '06
    1,755 posts since Mar '06
    • Originally posted by popikachu:
      wow! finally got someone same as me!
      chinese i always get aroung 10+ nia
      english 50+ always teacher help to pull up one... if not retain liao...

now i finally know y u wish u were dead Laughing Laughing Laughing

DUN ASK MI TELL U Laughing

24,118 posts since Nov '03
    • You can talk to me. Smile

Some names and words have their roots in other languages, hence they're pronounced differently.

Please Login or Signup to reply.