26 Oct, 10:41AM in sunny Singapore!

ST Home front page B1: Raise the Citaro's rear w/ floorboard

Subscribe to ST Home front page B1: Raise the Citaro's rear w/ floorboard 21 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    113,434 posts since Jun '04
    • make the Citaro as like K230UB into a low entry bus to maximise space for standing…

Shift exit door to the rear.. Eh… so far to the rear, raised floodboard somemore.. BC how to see the rear end? As if we still got conductor selling tickets on the bus chia…

lol…

9,756 posts since Nov '03
    113,434 posts since Jun '04
    1,298 posts since Jan '09
    • The author has not taken into account that the rear needs to house the rear wheels, engine, fuel/Adblue tanks.

It will be very costly to and almost impossible to have a completely flat rear area with a stepless rear door.

Both LE and LF buses each have their pros and cons. Just live with it since efforts have been put in for stepless buses to begin with.

However I feel that the Volvo B9TL LF buses are the best designed LF buses, full LF yet not so narrow rear aisle. Double deckers seems to be better in terms of flat floor and low/no entry designs. It will be good for more LF double deckers.

3,321 posts since Feb '12
    • For DDs , I prefer it to be LF, but for SDs , better to be LE. If DDs LE, u may hit ur head against the wall

2,449 posts since Oct '12
    • Originally posted by SBS 3010C:

For DDs , I prefer it to be LF, but for SDs , better to be LE. If DDs LE, u may hit ur head against the wall

Hit the celling u mean... KUBS and citaro hitting the celling is just as bad! btw u so tall meh.

31,154 posts since Mar '05
    •  

For more standing room, that means seats have to be taken out. 

Apparently for this commuter, less seats is good.

Why not take out all the seats on the bus so that there will be more standing room? icon_lol.gif

1,656 posts since Jul '12
    • Originally posted by sbst275:

make the Citaro as like K230UB into a low entry bus to maximise space for standing…

Shift exit door to the rear.. Eh… so far to the rear, raised floodboard somemore.. BC how to see the rear end? As if we still got conductor selling tickets on the bus chia…

lol…

There is indeed such thing as the Citaro LE Model

1,161 posts since Aug '11
    • i think the author just meant levelling the rear cabin of the bus, aka 'covering' the current aisle to make the bus function more like an LE bus rather than an LF bus, increasing standee space. AKA OC with only one step needed to climb to the rear.

344 posts since Dec '08
    • A very simple solution to this problem would be to introduce buses with 3 doors like those in Europe. Ease of exit will mean passengers are willing to move to the back and that the narrow aisle will no longer be of such a hindrance to bus unloading. The only drawback would be fewer seats and perhaps a more difficult task for the bus driver to ensure that no commuters board from the rear most doors. Another solution would be to introduce 15m long buses.

9,756 posts since Nov '03
    1,100 posts since Aug '07
    • Citaro with rear end door,  http://gomotors.net/Mercedes_Benz/Mercedes_Benz-Citaro.html#.UNfLFeTqmSo.

1,974 posts since Sep '09
    • Originally posted by wsy1234:

Citaro with rear end door,  http://gomotors.net/Mercedes_Benz/Mercedes_Benz-Citaro.html#.UNfLFeTqmSo.

That have 3 doors. Alighting will be fast, but capacity will be lower. IMO 3 door buses only suitable for buses 14m and above for sg loading conditions.

1,711 posts since Jun '10
    • lesser seats will not appeal to commuters… already LF single decks have lesser seating then LE rigids… and LE rigids have lesser seats than high floor buses…

1,100 posts since Aug '07
    • deploy this type of bus to feeder bus service but remove the centre door.

Edited by wsy1234 24 Dec `12, 12:01PM
    • Originally posted by TIB868X:

i think the author just meant levelling the rear cabin of the bus, aka 'covering' the current aisle to make the bus function more like an LE bus rather than an LF bus, increasing standee space. AKA OC with only one step needed to climb to the rear.

If you read at the article again, he wants the 3rd rear door to be completely stepless, which is almost impossible and very costly to build based on current technology.

However I feel removing more seats will turn out for more complaints instead.

Edited by vicamour 24 Dec `12, 1:28PM
    7,241 posts since Dec '04
    • those professors/experts got take buses? ..... they only give their opinion based on what they think which are not feasible at all.

actually current design is ok lah. no need to squeeze so much ppl at the back. .easier to alight also...

31,154 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by lemon1974:

those professors/experts got take buses? ..... they only give their opinion based on what they think which are not feasible at all.

actually current design is ok lah. no need to squeeze so much ppl at the back. .easier to alight also...

I agree.

But I hope Mercedes Benz will widen the rear aisle a bit more for their new Citaro model so that SBST will have a better bus layout to buy for their future fleet acquisitions.

2,610 posts since Jul '12
    • LF for low demand svcs like 272/273/275 etc.smile.png

LE for high demand svcs like 5/16/132/851 etc.

Please Login or Signup to reply.