18 Oct, 03:19PM in sunny Singapore!

SMRT trials MAN double-decker bus

Subscribe to SMRT trials MAN double-decker bus 2,021 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • vicamour's Avatar
    1,475 posts since Jan '09
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      If talking about advantages,why not TTS/GAS find shareholders too?It is unfair to called for since SBST/SMRT got rail/bus/taxis/advertising business

      Provided that what is their commitment here, long term, short term, bus only, or bus and rail, etc.

      Given their commitment now only focusing on buses, and their presence in the local market is still young, I'm not sure if there are investors willing to invest with them, given their uncertainty in the market in the long term, especially GA. Even they managed to team up with some investors, how high are their chances of winning the bids against other bigger or more established foreign rail operators? 

      I think while LTA is trying to bring in more foreign players in the market, they are restricting them to serve a mode of transportation, rather than multi-modal for these foreign players. 

      GLC can keep on injecting money into SBST and SMRT to prevent them from collapse. However the govt has no control over foreign firms, if these firms bankrupts in its home country and liquidates entirely. Losing an operator operating bus and rail is more disastrous than losing an operator operating bus or rail only.

      I think the govt had taken account of such risks when they implement the contracting model for both bus and rail.

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Like that better open a third GLC-Influnced transport company mah..So Buses and Rail all controlled by three Operators and scrapped off the BCM

  • vicamour's Avatar
    1,475 posts since Jan '09
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      Like that better open a third GLC-Influnced transport company mah..So Buses and Rail all controlled by three Operators and scrapped off the BCM

      Might as well let SBST run all the bus services in Singapore and let SMRT run all the rail lines in Singapore. No need any GCM, all under  one govt control.

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by vicamour:

      Might as well let SBST run all the bus services in Singapore and let SMRT run all the rail lines in Singapore. No need any GCM, all under  one govt control.

      Do you spare any thoughts for the ex-SBST BCs who work for other operators or those blacklisted one?I am againts the idea of monopoly...

  • iveco's Avatar
    17,056 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      Do you spare any thoughts for the ex-SBST BCs who work for other operators or those blacklisted one?I am againts the idea of monopoly...

      Monopoly suits rail system better due to its complex nature.

      As for bus operations, just keep it to 4 players for the moment.

  • SMB145B's Avatar
    2,234 posts since Dec '12
    • Rail operations are always best with all or nothing.

      Bus operations can just be left as it is now. But i think common livery isn't the way. It should show a distinct operator livery and with options for full bus ads without blocking the front or side view.

  • iveco's Avatar
    17,056 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by SMB145B:

      Rail operations are always best with all or nothing.

      Bus operations can just be left as it is now. But i think common livery isn't the way. It should show a distinct operator livery and with options for full bus ads without blocking the front or side view.

      The common livery is due to all buses being owned by the government and not by individual operators.

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by iveco:

      Monopoly suits rail system better due to its complex nature.

      As for bus operations, just keep it to 4 players for the moment.

      Like what someone said,Its still owned by government 

  • SMB145B's Avatar
    2,234 posts since Dec '12
    • Originally posted by iveco:

      The common livery is due to all buses being owned by the government and not by individual operators.

      i would prefer it being owned by the individual operators but monitored by LTA

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by SMB145B:

      i would prefer it being owned by the individual operators but monitored by LTA

      I dont mind green but at least make the company stickers more bigger..

  • vicamour's Avatar
    1,475 posts since Jan '09
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      Do you spare any thoughts for the ex-SBST BCs who work for other operators or those blacklisted one?I am againts the idea of monopoly...

      And you suggested a third GLC influenced company? Non govt controlled entities are sometimes there for a reason. You stated a relevant example.

      Calling in another GLC to get into the market is as good as monopoly. It's like undercutting each other into more losses, and since they are all GLCs, govt can just increase fares for all its companies to recoup losses and make profits for its GLCs. The govt is not that dumb to allow it's companies to make more losses.

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • If I remember correctly, the opposition Workers' Party suggested a nationalised public transport system.

      Previously, the transport minister Mr Khaw Boon Wan indicated that they want to revamp the train operating model.

      And, as we all know, the previous transport minister initiated the government contracting model for public bus services.

      All these is because they want to achieve the most cost effective solution to run the public bus and train services.

    • If I'm not wrong, our public bus and train services are heavily subsidised, unlike in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where as far as I know, their LRT lines are self-sustainable.

      Speaking of the LRT lines at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, they were originally run entirely by private operators, without subsidy. Then in 2003, the government take over, and introduced a few measures to generate more revenue...

      eg: allow private companies to re-brand LRT stations, to advertise their name.

      Maybe we can learn from them.

      For example, gekpohboy could pay LTA some money, to rename "Pioneer" station to "gekpohboy Pioneer" station, to advertise gekpohboy, and at the same time, help LTA generate more revenue.

      Edited by gekpohboy 19 May `17, 10:48AM
  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by vicamour:

      And you suggested a third GLC influenced company? Non govt controlled entities are sometimes there for a reason. You stated a relevant example.

      Calling in another GLC to get into the market is as good as monopoly. It's like undercutting each other into more losses, and since they are all GLCs, govt can just increase fares for all its companies to recoup losses and make profits for its GLCs. The govt is not that dumb to allow it's companies to make more losses.

      Like it or not,Fare will be raised.Its just a matter of time.

    • Saw 2 MAN A95 facelift with trade plate entering Wldep this morning..

  • TIB 585L's Avatar
    9,114 posts since Apr '11
  • Formususeonly's Avatar
    143 posts since Sep '16
  • SMB128B's Avatar
    4,895 posts since May '11
    • Originally posted by Formususeonly:

      Saw at least 4 units of MAN A95 Batch 3 parked at Bulim bus park 

      Hmm.. Is it TTS also wanna try?

      When is it GA or SBST turn..

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by SMB128B:

      Hmm.. Is it TTS also wanna try?

      When is it GA or SBST turn..

      Suspect SMRT again since they will progressively deregistered their O405G starting next month..TTS might be..SBST i don't think so.GAS?You want me to laugh?Told you unless LTA force them to use..First of all they need to give away some of their B9TL,Its more than enough already.

  • Gus.chong's Avatar
    9,815 posts since Jun '10
  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
  • TIB 585L's Avatar
    9,114 posts since Apr '11
  • carbikebus's Avatar
    19,962 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by TIB 585L:

      5804 suspect will sub 1025E

      But 1025E is a spare bus so idk how they going to perm this

      Around 30 Habit O405Gs will be deregistered this month right?I wonder if Amdep take B3 A95 or not?Usually Kjdep will gobble up newer buses first..

      I hope Wldep will take a few OCs(40 units) and Kjdep take a few Citaro(20 units)

      Edited by carbikebus 01 Jun `17, 1:53PM
  • TIB 585L's Avatar
    9,114 posts since Apr '11
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      Around 30 Habit O405Gs will be deregistered this month right?I wonder if Amdep take B3 A95 or not?Usually Kjdep will gobble up newer buses first..

      I hope Wldep will take a few OCs(40 units) and Kjdep take a few Citaro(20 units)


      June WLDEP side: 1025E, 1032J,1039R,1040K,1045Y,1046U,1047S,1050G ( 2 from 911, the rest all spare around 8) 1024H going to die also soon KJDEP side: 1026C,1028Y,1029U,1030P,1031L,1033G to 1037X. (10 bus, most of them 190) AMDEP side: 1027A,1041H,1043C,1044A,1048P, 1038T (6 bus, 4 of them from 856)

  • Gus.chong's Avatar
    9,815 posts since Jun '10
    • Registered on 05th June 2017 (SMRT):

      SG5806Y
      SG5807U
      SG5812D
      SG5813B

      Registered on 06th June 2017 (SMRT):

      SG5808S
      SG5809P
      SG5810J
      SG5811G

Please Login or Signup to reply.