24 May, 01:31PM in sunny Singapore!

Questions about S'pore buses? Post them here! (Part 8)

Subscribe to Questions about S'pore buses? Post them here! (Part 8) 875 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • TIB868X's Avatar
    1,514 posts since Aug '11
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      What if LTA buy both models?Since SMRT got 201 units of E500s and 17 units of A95s and a dozen of A22s..Maintenance wise shouldnt be a problem cause Alexander Dennis and MAN got plants and spare parts all over Asia.Its not like theyre buying Iveco,VDL etc.And also there might be a three door single deckers in future.

      Buying more A95s is even more compelling considering all the MANs and Gemilangs we have hre. Sure ADL got plants and spare parts all over Asia for maintenance but its not like SMRT is going to bother maintaining them. Look at the sorry state of our ADLs. Brand new, they're already rattling and now their radiators sound worse than the Euro III B9TLs. 

  • SMB1368T's Avatar
    1,261 posts since Mar '16
    • Try taking 856 buses which their paint is peeling off, windows badly stained & higher-pitched door closing chimes, and that was only a few months ago

  • BusAnalayzer's Avatar
    10,660 posts since May '12
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      Dont anyhow assume 400-500..In future govt buy three doors version exclusively for feeders and short trunks already.We have already got over 1000 Volvo B9TLs.If tue range is between 100-120 i still can believe...Some people says its 50,a group says its between 70-80 and minority says its 120.

      I hope it is atleast 100 units. I don't really expect it to be more than 100. 70-80 also probable. If only 50 units, again I will be like what the hell are they thinking!!!?

  • sgbuses's Avatar
    2,406 posts since Nov '05
    • Originally posted by TIB868X:

      201? or 400 to 500? how about 1000 of these lovely MAN A95s?

      on a more serious note, could LTA's purchase of MAN A95s signal a preference of procuring the MAN A95 concept bus over the Enviro500 concept bus? doesn't make sense fleet-wise, to buy MAN A95s instead of E500s, only to buy E500s later on. I stand corrected.

      Be Careful What You Wish For!

      For an order of this size, the Germans themselves would have put out a press release long ago. And we haven't heard anything from STK.

      Also, it would require a public tender (especially for LTA). Did anyone saw any public tender notice for buses in the past couple of months? I could not find it.

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    21,590 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by TIB868X:

      Buying more A95s is even more compelling considering all the MANs and Gemilangs we have hre. Sure ADL got plants and spare parts all over Asia for maintenance but its not like SMRT is going to bother maintaining them. Look at the sorry state of our ADLs. Brand new, they're already rattling and now their radiators sound worse than the Euro III B9TLs. 

      SMRT any buses also in sorry state what else is ADL which assemble by China Zhuhai plant?With LTA gradually taking over buses and set a standard,do you still think they dare?I know SMRT also under Temasek but if they cant handle basic PT standards then let other operators take over..I dont mind they go down into history book as well.

      Edited by carbikebus 09 Apr `16, 4:23PM
  • TIB868X's Avatar
    1,514 posts since Aug '11
    • Originally posted by sgbuses:

      Be Careful What You Wish For!

      For an order of this size, the Germans themselves would have put out a press release long ago. And we haven't heard anything from STK.

      Also, it would require a public tender (especially for LTA). Did anyone saw any public tender notice for buses in the past couple of months? I could not find it.

      I was only kidding. And nope. I am also unsure as to the exact quantities of MAN A22s ordered. To some degree there has been a lack of transparency. On the current SG-plated MAN A95s, as far as I know I haven't seen a public tender for it. I would appreciate if anyone could confirm or deny this. Could it have been SMRT orders taken on by LTA? If so, it has been omitted from public knowledge. Seems rather arcane to me.

       

      The tender for the concept bus would be hapenning nearer to the end of this year.

    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      SMRT any buses also in sorry state what else is ADL which assemble by China Zhuhai plant?With LTA gradually taking over buses and set a standard,do you still think they dare?I know SMRT also under Temasek but if they cant handle basic PT standards then let other operators take over..I dont mind they go down into history book as well.

      I agree that public transport operators should also be subject to natural selection. Afaik the zhuhai plant exclusively assembles enviro 400s and 500s.

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    21,590 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by TIB868X:

      I agree that public transport operators should also be subject to natural selection. Afaik the zhuhai plant exclusively assembles enviro 400s and 500s.

      No wonder the HK E400 bodywork creaking like Sg one also..Cost cutting measure cant say anything.Seriously LTA should just stop the Citaro and A22 orders and focus on Low Entry single deckers for the remaining..In 3 years time then discuss about low floor three door single deckers.We had more than enough low floor single deckers..

  • SBS7557R's Avatar
    5,361 posts since May '11
    • Originally posted by BusAnalayzer:

      Like how?

      If there is major feeder revamp, you don't think people will shout and cry. I do feel that for some services there is scope to revamp but won't happen so easily.

      SMRT wanted to give bendies to feeders/intra-towns. Slowly converted all bendy services to majority rigids because of its "rigid" behavior to not deploy DDs.

      It is so mindless that they just go on adding A22s as they are not able to cope with the loading. 

      This reply is a summary of my post from the old thread.

      This is why having more feeders per residential town is not the best idea when it comes to bus service planning, especially if the bus services in the residential town are managed by SMRT under its "bendies for feeders/intra-towns" policy. More feeders for the residential town may therefore indirectly translate to the need for more articulated buses or spammage of single-deck buses to cope with the potential high demands for these new feeder services.

      Only 2 ways are able to tackle the issue, either by deploying double-deck buses in place of articulated buses for feeders as well OR having more inter-town trunk services that can utilize double-deck buses more efficiently instead of more feeder services per residential town.

  • TIB868X's Avatar
    1,514 posts since Aug '11
    • Originally posted by carbikebus:

      No wonder the HK E400 bodywork creaking like Sg one also..Cost cutting measure cant say anything.Seriously LTA should just stop the Citaro and A22 orders and focus on Low Entry single deckers for the remaining..In 3 years time then discuss about low floor three door single deckers.We had more than enough low floor single deckers..

      LTA did not shortlist any single deck proposals among the concept bus bids if that means anything 

  • carbikebus's Avatar
    21,590 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by TIB868X:

      LTA did not shortlist any single deck proposals among the concept bus bids if that means anything 

      In their statements they might consider three doors single deckers in future.They really love to try Europe style.As for now i hope they can consider low entry single deckers to supplement fleet restriction service like 15,34,36 & 77 etc.SBST got K230UBs and SMRT got OC500LEs.There is also a new Euro IV OC500LE 7700cc 299hp/1200nm,Volvo B8RLE 280hp/1050nm or Citaro LE.

       

  • Gus.chong's Avatar
    9,867 posts since Jun '10
    • This thread wasn't active for more than two weeks...no wonder why the previous thread wasn't unstickied!

  • bus555's Avatar
    10,079 posts since Dec '06
    • Sry man didnt know this exist. Anyway:

      Anyone know what was the DD that got stuck inside Lor Low Koon back in 2008?

       

  • BusAnalayzer's Avatar
    10,660 posts since May '12
    • Does SBST/SMRT still follow jump bus concept? What was the disadvantage of jump bus that they are not in favor of it?

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • What is “jump bus”?

    • Q: Under what circumstances are buses re-deployed from one bus service to another, or from one bus depot to another?

    • If nobody asks questions, actually it is a good thing.

      Please do not try to restart discussions artificially. It does not work that way.

      There must be a genuine interest to sustain a business.

      In business, there is this term called "product life cycle", where from the launch to the withdrawal of a product, there is the "introduction" stage, "growth" stage, "maturity" stage and "decline" decline. Clearly, this questions-and-answers thread series is in the "decline" stage.

      I rather we phase out this thread series.

      It is time to move on to other thread series, or try a new thread series.

      Edited by gekpohboy 26 Jun `16, 10:35PM
  • Gus.chong's Avatar
    9,867 posts since Jun '10
    • I do not agree...this tradition has been ongoing for years. And the case above wasn't artificially but naturally. Ha ha ha ha ha...

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • Oops. Sorry. I was referring to the "[SGF Buses Journey Planner] How to go there ah?" thread. Almost going to expire already then suddenly someone post something. Why? :(

  • sgbuses's Avatar
    2,406 posts since Nov '05
    • Originally posted by BusAnalayzer:

      Does SBST/SMRT still follow jump bus concept? What was the disadvantage of jump bus that they are not in favor of it?

      The respective operators' positions have not changed.

      Schedule reliability.

    • Originally posted by gekpohboy:

      Q: Under what circumstances are buses re-deployed from one bus service to another, or from one bus depot to another?

      Currently, in the following order:

      1. GCM requirements

      2. BSEP requirements

      3. WAB requirements

      4. Technical/mechanical requirements

      5. Anything else the operator deems appropriate

  • SMB128B's Avatar
    5,067 posts since May '11
    • Originally posted by Gus.chong:

      This thread wasn't active for more than two weeks...no wonder why the previous thread wasn't unstickied!

      I was wondering why we even need a new thread... It just gonna end up not being stickied, as with the bus observations and accidents thread

      That being said, I welcome a new thread if the mods will sticky this one!

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • Come to think about it, most of the buses on cross-boarder bus services are wheelchair-accessible. Why are they not yet wheelchair-accessible?

      Edited by gekpohboy 26 Jun `16, 10:37PM
  • carbikebus's Avatar
    21,590 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by gekpohboy:

      Actually, come to think about it, most of the buses on cross-boarder bus services are wheelchair-accessible. How come they are not yet WAB ah?

      In case you forget,950 is already WAB eons ago.

    • Originally posted by BusAnalayzer:

      Does SBST/SMRT still follow jump bus concept? What was the disadvantage of jump bus that they are not in favor of it?

      Still maintain by some SBST particularly 36.The advantage is you can save bus and the disadvantage is when traffic jams or breakdown..Not only fleet but BC schedule timekeeper has to adjust.

Please Login or Signup to reply.