20 Apr, 06:22PM in sunny Singapore!

New Bus Services Announced by LTA/PTOs (Part 3)

Subscribe to New Bus Services Announced by LTA/PTOs (Part 3) 1,594 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    112 posts since Oct '17
    • ...via Choa Chu Kang and Jurong West, our bus will cover more ground by connecting to existing services with access to NTU and the Jurong Industrial Estate. Engineered for inter-town connectivity, Bus Service 974 also links Bukit Panjang station on the ...

Edited by SG1131L 08 Apr `18, 1:47PM
    17,244 posts since Mar '04
    112 posts since Oct '17
    • Comment: It is a waste that 974 never go to the school cluster at Choa Chu Kang Drive. It would be good if 974 can be rerouted to serve the school cluster at Choa Chu Kang Drive, while retain the connection to Choa Chu Kang MRT / Lot One Shoppers’ Mall and Bukit Panjang MRT.

The question is, how?

The obvious answer is to have 974 meander into Choa Chu Kang Drive when the bus is at Choa Chu Kang Way / Choa Chu Kang Road, via Choa Chu Kang Avenue 1 and Teck Whye Avenue. Like that write may be confusing, but if you look at the map, it would be clear.

To the LTA, please consider rerouting 974 to the school cluster at Choa Chu Kang Drive. Not only would the school students benefit. The NSF at Stagmont Camp would also benefit, and this would make 974 really popular.

9 posts since Jan '18
    • Hi,

I took 974 (Bukit Panjang bound) this morning from Jalan Bahar to Lot 1 Shopper’s Mall to collect the ‘limited edition brochure’. Subsequently, I took the LRT to Bukit Panjang to take a full trip of 974, Joo Koon bound.

I was at the first stop (44029 along Upper Bukit Timah Road) and even though it is the first bus stop, there are already three passengers onboard (one of them was actually from the previous trip, since I took the same bus for Bukit Panjang Bound and Joo Koon Bound, the other two probably board the bus at some stop after I alighted). This starts to make me think that this bus service could possibly be a loop service. This also makes me wonder whether the bus parks at the Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park.

During the Joo Koon bound trip, the driver was telling a passenger that the bus starts from Joo Koon. Why didn’t the driver say the bus start at Bukit Panjang? I did not have the chance to clarify with the bus driver.

When I am looking at the route map of 974 (as in the promotional poster), it also gives me the impression that this is a loop service, although this service is clearly promoted as a bi-directional service. Remember that when 258 was introduced it loops at Boon Lay Interchange, but it was introduced as a loop service.

As for the parking lots in Joo Koon, there are two possibilities: there is either no lots reserved for TTS (since there is apparently no TTS office in JKBI, the bus will probably stop at any parking lots available) or the first lot (the one closest to the exit) is ‘reserved’ for TTS. Lot 2 was parked with an SBS bus when the TTS bus stops at lot 1. Lot 1 was also observed to park E500 from the Joo Koon-Gul Circle MRT Replacement Service a few months back, so this lot could potentially be reserved for ‘special uses’, in this case will be the presence of TTS buses in Joo Koon Interchange.

Regards,

Jonathan Leong CK 

• ---

Edited by JonathanLeongCK 08 Apr `18, 9:07PM
    112 posts since Oct '17
    • Originally posted by JonathanLeongCK:

Hi,

I took 974 (Bukit Panjang bound) this morning from Jalan Bahar to Lot 1 Shopper’s Mall to collect the ‘limited edition brochure’. Subsequently, I took the LRT to Bukit Panjang to take a full trip of 974, Joo Koon bound.

I was at the first stop (44029 along Upper Bukit Timah Road) and even though it is the first bus stop, there are already three passengers onboard (one of them was actually from the previous trip, since I took the same bus for Bukit Panjang Bound and Joo Koon Bound, the other two probably board the bus at some stop after I alighted). This starts to make me think that this bus service could possibly be a loop service. This also makes me wonder whether the bus parks at the Bukit Panjang Temporary Bus Park.

During the Joo Koon bound trip, the driver was telling a passenger that the bus starts from Joo Koon. Why didn’t the driver say the bus start at Bukit Panjang? I did not have the chance to clarify with the bus driver.

When I am looking at the route map of 974 (as in the promotional poster), it also gives me the impression that this is a loop service, although this service is clearly promoted as a bi-directional service. Remember that when 258 was introduced it loops at Boon Lay Interchange, but it was introduced as a loop service.

As for the parking lots in Joo Koon, there are two possibilities: there is either no lots reserved for TTS (since there is apparently no TTS office in JKBI, the bus will probably stop at any parking lots available) or the first lot (the one closest to the exit) is ‘reserved’ for TTS. Lot 2 was parked with an SBS bus when the TTS bus stops at lot 1. Lot 1 was also observed to park E500 from the Joo Koon-Gul Circle MRT Replacement Service a few months back, so this lot could potentially be reserved for ‘special uses’, in this case will be the presence of TTS buses in Joo Koon Interchange.

Regards,

Jonathan Leong CK 

974 has 2 slots reserved for them at Joo Koon Bus Interchange. The interchange itself has the capacity of 18-20 parking lots.

On the passengers, first day performance is not reflective of the actual performance of the service. Like all business, people will give a new product / service a try, before deciding whether to subscribe to it long-term. We have to collect data for about 3 months to deduce whether there’s sustainable support for 974.

Edited by SG1131L 08 Apr `18, 9:20PM
    2,110 posts since Sep '14
    • Originally posted by SG1131L:

974 has 2 slots reserved for them at Joo Koon Bus Interchange. The interchange itself has the capacity of 18-20 parking lots.

On the passengers, first day performance is not reflective of the actual performance of the service. Like all business, people will give a new product / service a try, before deciding whether to subscribe to it long-term. We have to collect data for about 3 months to deduce whether there’s sustainable support for 974.

They allocated only 1 parking lot for TT at Joo Koon Int.. The other buses will park behind the lots instead..

5,570 posts since Jan '12

Hi,

Regards,

Jonathan Leong CK 

Seen 974 along Woodlands Road going towards BP Temp Int  and also towards BP 1st stop... so should be 2-directional...

9 posts since Jan '18
    • Originally posted by SMB42P:

Seen 974 along Woodlands Road going towards BP Temp Int  and also towards BP 1st stop... so should be 2-directional...

I am curious how people can get onto the bus before the first stop

By right there should be no passengers in BP Temp Bus Park

9,242 posts since Apr '11

I am curious how people can get onto the bus before the first stop

By right there should be no passengers in BP Temp Bus Park

BC friend

21,230 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by SMB315C:

They allocated only 1 parking lot for TT at Joo Koon Int.. The other buses will park behind the lots instead..

Yes only 1 lot for TTS since they have only short break at JK,All meal breaks at BPJ temp park.They’re considered as orphan on both sides.

• And just wait for many TTS SDs to breakdown and can’t recover on time only then they will lease some buses.

112 posts since Oct '17
    • From the looks of it, 974 is 100% Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses. Hopefully got MAN A22 buses running on 974 occasionally.

Edited by SG1131L 09 Apr `18, 8:59AM
    • Seems like today got 13 buses for svc 974 compared to yesterday 11.

From the looks of it, 974 is 100% Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses. Hopefully got MAN A22 buses running on 974 occasionally.

I’m sure will get peak hours DDs..If only they would lease the last two A95.

10,624 posts since May '12

From the looks of it, 974 is 100% Mercedes-Benz Citaro buses. Hopefully got MAN A22 buses running on 974 occasionally.

Looking at 137, 68 and 974 deployment, feels like finally LTA has realised that it is better to start with full SD and upgrade to DD once the demand increases. 46 DDs still wasted on 99% of its trips.

• Originally posted by BusAnalayzer:

Looking at 137, 68 and 974 deployment, feels like finally LTA has realised that it is better to start with full SD and upgrade to DD once the demand increases. 46 DDs still wasted on 99% of its trips.

Another reasons is no more storage DDs to spare.Waiting for the Euro6.

5,570 posts since Jan '12

If I didnt see wrongly, there is a MAN A22 cameo on 974 today...

561 posts since Oct '17
    • Service 118A and 118B will have extended Operating Hours from 23 April 2018. Have to wait for the Press Release.

Edited by JKYY 17 Apr `18, 3:27PM
Please Login or Signup to reply.