22 Nov, 01:39AM in sunny Singapore!

Hail a Public Bus with Your App!

Subscribe to Hail a Public Bus with Your App! 32 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • TIB987K's Avatar
    1,923 posts since Oct '12
    • HAIL A PUBLIC BUS WITH YOUR APP!

      News Releases
      15 Aug 2017

      LTA to Seek Industry Proposals to Develop On-Demand,
      Dynamically-Routed Public Bus Services

       

          Imagine a public bus service that optimises its route and schedule based on real-time commuter demand! This could soon become a reality in areas with low ridership and during off-peak periods. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) called a tender today to seek proposals from the industry to trial on-demand, dynamically-routed public bus services.

      2.  The trial will enable LTA to evaluate the feasibility of operating public bus services based on real-time commuter demand and along dynamic routes, instead of plying on the basis of pre-determined and fixed timetables and routes. Through a mobile application, commuters will be able to request pick-ups and drop-offs at any bus stop within a defined operating area. The objective is to deliver better and more customised bus services, with possibly shorter wait time. Instead of being able to alight only at a bus stop along a pre-determined, fixed route, he or she can ask to alight at any bus stop in the operating area, making the commute more seamless and convenient than today.

      3.  In addition to enhancing the commute, the trial will help LTA assess if such a form of public bus services could optimise resources (buses and bus captains) and operating cost in areas and periods with low ridership.

      4.  Three areas have been preliminarily identified as possible for the trial: Joo Koon (for Services 253, 255 and 257), Punggol North/West (for Services 84 and 382) and Shenton Way/Marina South (for Services 400 and 402). These bus services in the identified areas currently have low demand during off-peak hours and can potentially better serve commuters if they are converted into on-demand bus services.

      5.  Tender participants are also invited to submit proposals for on-demand, dynamically-routed night bus services, in place of existing night bus services with fixed timetables and routes.

      6.  The tender consists of two phases. In the first phase, to be awarded by 4Q 2017, the successful tenderer(s) will conduct modelling and simulation to test service quality and resource requirements. This will help LTA determine the parameters for the actual trial. In the second phase, to be awarded in 2Q 2018, incumbent public bus operators will test and calibrate software and hardware solutions provided by the successful tenderer(s) before trialling actual on-demand, dynamically-routed bus services in the second half of 2018. In the lead-up to the actual trial, LTA will work with the bus operators and communities to educate and assist residents and commuters in the trial areas on how to use such bus services. LTA will continue to run the usual scheduled bus services at reduced frequency, to cater to those commuters who are not able to adapt to this new form of bus services.

      7.  “Data analytics and mobile application technology have revolutionised the way that we travel, as we have seen in the success of ride-hailing. This tender will allow us to explore if such technology could also be applied to public bus services to deliver better services to commuters, and also to optimise precious resources. We welcome feedback and ideas on this endeavour,” said Group Director, Public Transport, Land Transport Authority, Mr Yeo Teck Guan.

    • 3 areas for the app trial:

      Joo Koon (for Services 253, 255 and 257)

      Punggol North/West (for Services 84 and 382)

      Shenton Way/Marina South (for Services 400 and 402)

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • Amidst the advancement of technology, we should make accommodations for traditional methods, as not everyone has access to technology.

      Edited by gekpohboy 15 Aug `17, 3:59PM
  • TPS Timothy Mok's Avatar
    1,145 posts since Aug '07
    • Originally posted by TIB987K:

      HAIL A PUBLIC BUS WITH YOUR APP!

      News Releases
      15 Aug 2017

      LTA to Seek Industry Proposals to Develop On-Demand,
      Dynamically-Routed Public Bus Services

          Imagine a public bus service that optimises its route and schedule based on real-time commuter demand! This could soon become a reality in areas with low ridership and during off-peak periods. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) called a tender today to seek proposals from the industry to trial on-demand, dynamically-routed public bus services.

      2.  The trial will enable LTA to evaluate the feasibility of operating public bus services based on real-time commuter demand and along dynamic routes, instead of plying on the basis of pre-determined and fixed timetables and routes. Through a mobile application, commuters will be able to request pick-ups and drop-offs at any bus stop within a defined operating area. The objective is to deliver better and more customised bus services, with possibly shorter wait time. Instead of being able to alight only at a bus stop along a pre-determined, fixed route, he or she can ask to alight at any bus stop in the operating area, making the commute more seamless and convenient than today.

      3.  In addition to enhancing the commute, the trial will help LTA assess if such a form of public bus services could optimise resources (buses and bus captains) and operating cost in areas and periods with low ridership.

      4.  Three areas have been preliminarily identified as possible for the trial: Joo Koon (for Services 253, 255 and 257), Punggol North/West (for Services 84 and 382) and Shenton Way/Marina South (for Services 400 and 402). These bus services in the identified areas currently have low demand during off-peak hours and can potentially better serve commuters if they are converted into on-demand bus services.

      5.  Tender participants are also invited to submit proposals for on-demand, dynamically-routed night bus services, in place of existing night bus services with fixed timetables and routes.

      6.  The tender consists of two phases. In the first phase, to be awarded by 4Q 2017, the successful tenderer(s) will conduct modelling and simulation to test service quality and resource requirements. This will help LTA determine the parameters for the actual trial. In the second phase, to be awarded in 2Q 2018, incumbent public bus operators will test and calibrate software and hardware solutions provided by the successful tenderer(s) before trialling actual on-demand, dynamically-routed bus services in the second half of 2018. In the lead-up to the actual trial, LTA will work with the bus operators and communities to educate and assist residents and commuters in the trial areas on how to use such bus services. LTA will continue to run the usual scheduled bus services at reduced frequency, to cater to those commuters who are not able to adapt to this new form of bus services.

      7.  “Data analytics and mobile application technology have revolutionised the way that we travel, as we have seen in the success of ride-hailing. This tender will allow us to explore if such technology could also be applied to public bus services to deliver better services to commuters, and also to optimise precious resources. We welcome feedback and ideas on this endeavour,” said Group Director, Public Transport, Land Transport Authority, Mr Yeo Teck Guan.

      Trials will conduct on various services:

      All Night Services. (except Christmas, New Year, CNY) The demand is low (1N-6N, NR1-NR3, NR5-NR8).

      Service 402, because NSL is extended fully to Tuas.

      Service 95, 96, 179 on weekends and public holidays.

      Edited by TPS Timothy Mok 15 Aug `17, 4:29PM
  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • From the looks of it, this is a copy of the Hong Kong mini bus, except this one have to use smart phone, which not everyone has.

      For more information, check out the Wikipedia page about Hong Kong mini bus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_light_bus

    • Those who got take Hong Kong mini bus before, do share with us how this one works, and how you think the Hong Kong one can be better. Then maybe we can improvise and come up with a better mini bus system than Hong Kong.

  • wsy1234's Avatar
    1,613 posts since Aug '07
    • Originally posted by TIB987K:

      3 areas for the app trial:

      Joo Koon (for Services 253, 255 and 257)

      Punggol North/West (for Services 84 and 382)

      Shenton Way/Marina South (for Services 400 and 402)

      maybe lta should select those service like 155 and 159 for this service. even there is high demand but sometime in the evening after peak hour not many people taking the service but when need have to wait for a long time.

    • maybe grab might be interested for bid for this type of service. 

  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    FireIce's Avatar
    264,490 posts since Dec '99
    • Originally posted by gekpohboy:

      not everyone has access to technology.

      then make it so

       

      move forward. not backward.

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • Honestly, is there a need for this on-demand option, when we can actually use the historical data to consolidate and optimise resources?

  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    FireIce's Avatar
    264,490 posts since Dec '99
  • SG5064X's Avatar
    367 posts since Dec '16
    • Originally posted by wsy1234:

      maybe grab might be interested for bid for this type of service. 

      Possible 

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • By 'operating area', I believe they meant combining all the buses together, and providing ever-changing bus routes within that area.

    • This would resolve the problem of empty buses. But, why must use phone book, and not just suka-suka flag down a bus on the road?

  • sgbuses's Avatar
    2,355 posts since Nov '05
    • There was once I requested a shuttle bus using this same method in a city. The company decided to send a taxi instead, because I was the only customer. The operating company paid for the difference in taxi fare.

  • gekpohboy's Avatar
    2,180 posts since Mar '16
    • Honestly, without a diagram, it's quite hard to understand the concept.

      Edited by gekpohboy 16 Aug `17, 8:12AM
  • lemon1974's Avatar
    9,344 posts since Dec '04
    • it is just a waste of money to do this....not sure how much will be the cost. will be interesting to see the bidding price...

      send a 35-40 seater bus to go pick up one pax from one particular bus stop at a specific timing to another?  

      LTA should just reduce the frequency during off peak.... and if the pax is in a hurry, he/she can take taxi/grab/uber... 

       

      imagine you at marina barrage and u ask for a bus to come fetch you to shenton way... so how fast do you think the bus will come after you have submitted your request? 

       

    • Originally posted by gekpohboy:

      Honestly, without a diagram, it's quite hard to understand the concept.

      no need to understand. basically it is same as UBER/GRAB/on call taxi but the area it will be serving will be limited instead of islandwide... 

      you book, bus come and take you to your destination.in that area.. 

  • dupdup77's Avatar
    3,046 posts since Nov '13
    • Trying new concepts is commendable. However, there will always be some much less popular service which will definitely have more supply than demand. Everybody must recognize this fact that it is never going to be balanced. Crowded services will always be in demand due to roads served. For less popular services, it has always been taken care of by popular services in terms of revenue. So I thought GCM has solved this issue. Cheers. Thanks.

  • wsy1234's Avatar
    1,613 posts since Aug '07
    • i think may as well introduce a new service from orchard to chinatown using on demand and bus mini.

  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    FireIce's Avatar
    264,490 posts since Dec '99
  • lemon1974's Avatar
    9,344 posts since Dec '04
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

      tts why it's a trial

      maybe have to waste few millions to have that trial.... 

  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    FireIce's Avatar
    264,490 posts since Dec '99
  • lemon1974's Avatar
    9,344 posts since Dec '04
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

      if u never try, u never know

      mai lah.. save the money better.. . few million dollars can be use to run a trunk service for one year... 

      just run the buses at lesser frequency during off peak... if paxes are in hurry, they can take cab.. else, they can wait...  even with this app, the bus also need to depart from the terminal to that particular bus stop...  still have to standby buses at terminal also.. 

      so no demand no trips needed, but BC/Bus still have to be at the terminal standby..  so cost are still there, except for the cost of moving the buses (i.e diesel cost only)... 

      and imagine if there are 2 paxes book the same bus but going different destination, then it will become like uberpool/grabshare like that.. pick up one pax, detour to another bus stop pick up 2nd pax, then go to first pax location to let the first pax alight and then finally go to the 2nd pax bus stop... 

      what if there are 3 or more paxes going different bus stops?

       

  • dupdup77's Avatar
    3,046 posts since Nov '13
    • Originally posted by lemon1974:

      mai lah.. save the money better.. . few million dollars can be use to run a trunk service for one year... 

      just run the buses at lesser frequency during off peak... if paxes are in hurry, they can take cab.. else, they can wait...  even with this app, the bus also need to depart from the terminal to that particular bus stop...  still have to standby buses at terminal also.. 

      so no demand no trips needed, but BC/Bus still have to be at the terminal standby..  so cost are still there, except for the cost of moving the buses (i.e diesel cost only)... 

      and imagine if there are 2 paxes book the same bus but going different destination, then it will become like uberpool/grabshare like that.. pick up one pax, detour to another bus stop pick up 2nd pax, then go to first pax location to let the first pax alight and then finally go to the 2nd pax bus stop... 

      what if there are 3 or more paxes going different bus stops?

       

      Hi mr lemon1974, what I read somewhere is there will be still be buses running the original route albeit at lower frequencies. So this will solve those 3 or more paxes going different bus stops. Correct me if I am wrong. Cheers. Thanks.

Please Login or Signup to reply.