22 Aug, 03:47AM in sunny Singapore!

Another Scam? Singapore Business Pages

Subscribe to Another Scam? Singapore Business Pages 199 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    207 posts since Jan '04
    • This company broadcast faxes a form with the receipient details, asking the receipient to verify the details as the deadline for the printing is near.

The form has a logo that look like Yellow Pages, but infact , it is "Singapore Business Pages".

The usual repsond of the recipients after receiving the fax is to quickly amend the comapny details, sign, chop and return the fax. Esp those who already signed up with Yellow Pages as they thot that this is a confirmation of their details by Yellow Pages.

NOTE: One of the details in the form is wrong, thus, receipient will correct it and fax back immediately.

Nothing heard in the next few weeks... then an invoice will be received by the receipient who responded to the fax stating the the invoice amt of $6k++ that company has signed up with Asian Business Directories Pte Ltd for the ads their publication.

The comes as a shock and the "advertiser" look back to what they have signed on the fax. The fine print on the form says "Advertising Contract ..... with 7 days free look period ..... $3K++ a year for 2 editions etc"

only then, the "advertiser" realised that they have signed a contract without knowing it. Of course, the free look period is already over as you are not aware in the first place that it is NOT Yellow Pages BUT SINGAPORE BUSINESS PAGES.

Beware!!!

• 1. The same company with same tricks has been reported in Hong Kong Last too. And the
      person involve in Hong Kong’s case is none other that the Director of
      Asian Business Directories’s Christian Hamoeller. See the Hong Kong
      report URL:  (
      http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!YZykKGKTAAePt715Vj8TKjOo8Cu_1g--/article?mid=466&next=407
      )
      13.Note ABD is also present in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines. And
      all the various countries operation point back to ABD’s Singapore
      office address. See below:

Singapore
      Asian Business Directories Pte Ltd
      http://www.abdpl.com/english/index.php

Thailand
      Business Pages Co Limited
      http://www.thaibizpages.com/english/index.php

Malaysia
      Malaysian Business Pages Sdn Bhd
      http://www.mbpsb.com/english/index.php

Philippines
      http://www.pbpages.com/english/index.php

2. Based on the below report in Today Newspaper, it looks like the
      current Singapore law has protected ABD well, and I believe ABD knows
      the Singapore Law very well and make use of it to their benefit and
      prey on innocent Businesses in Singapore, HK, Thailand, Philippines,
      Malaysia.
      3.Should we just close one eye and let more innocent Singapore
      Businesses fall into it?

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    245,161 posts since Dec '99
    207 posts since Jan '04
    127 posts since Jan '07
    • Originally posted by scarborough:
      not MLM, but the effect is the same... legal con job, just like MLM

i beg to differ. Laughing

207 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by enquiries:
      i beg to differ. Laughing

Seeing red over mistaken 'Yellow Pages'...
      Posted in by admin on Fri, 2006-09-15 08:05
      Diamond merchant Peter Chia works alone, does not have a secretary and takes little time to study mails that are sent to his small and spartan Boon Keng Road office.

So, in June, when the 51-year-old received a letter from what he thought was Yellow Pages, asking him to update his particulars, he filled up the form, corrected the fields that were wrong, signed it, and faxed it back.

But what he had signed was not a form from Yellow Pages updating his listing, but a $4,000 contract from another business directory company asking him to advertise for that amount.

He only realised this after he had faxed the form back to the company, Asian Business Directories (ABD), which publishes the Singapore Business Pages.

The logo on the ABD form was square and yellow ? similar to that of Yellow Pages, said Mr Chia, who added that he did not read the fine print on the letter before signing and faxing it.

"I was shocked. I have never come across such a thing, that a business deal is sealed by a faxed contract," he told Today.

After seven days of trying to contact the company to nullify the contract, he was told to pay 70 per cent of the fee ? or $2,975 ? to withdraw the contract. Mr Chia refused and was later sent a warning letter by ABD, saying it would take legal action if it does not receive the money from him.

Ms Lim Mei Jun, a senior marketing communications manager at Yellow Pages, told Today that her company had received "less than 10" complaints about ABD from advertisers.

When told that people have complained that they thought the letter was from Yellow Pages, Ms Lim said: "Yellow Pages Singapore is a known and reliable brand. Hence it is not surprising that it is 'used' by other directory companies to appeal to businesses."

Yellow Pages has since sent letters to advertisers, asking them not to mistake the Singapore Business Pages for it.

In all, 51 business owners are known to have signed and returned the contract.

Of these, 24 paid between $800 and the full amount to ABD, said computer games shop owner Willy Sng, 34, who also found himself in the same plight as Mr Chia.

As of three weeks ago, 19 companies had paid up to $60,000 in total. Some of the firms that Today contacted did not want to speak about the issue.

Mr Chia and Mr Sng are among an initial group who banded together to report the matter to the Commercial Affairs Department. Spokesman for the police, Assistant Superintendent Stanley Norbert, told Today that the police have recently received several complaints against ABD, but have decided to take no further action upon reviewing the cases.

An irate Mr Chia also complained to the Consumers Association of Singapore but was told to go to the Singapore Mediation Centre or the Small Claims Tribunal (SCT) for help.

But he did not, saying that if he went to the SCT, it might be taken that he had agreed that the contract was binding and that he would have to pay a lower fee to get out of it. Until now, Mr Chia has not heard from them, nor has he received any lawyer's letter from the company.

When contacted, Mr Christian Hamoeller, one of ABD's directors, said potential clients had enough time to read the contract and reply if interested.

"(These are) people who haven't read the contract and try to blame us for their mistakes," he said, adding that lawyers' letters have been sent to those who refuse to pay. He declined to say what his firm would do if they ignore the letters.

Now Mr Sng, who also refused to pay, is worried that this contract will return to haunt him because there has been "no closure", even though he has not heard from ABD for several months.

In such cases, lawyer Vijai Parwani of Parwani & Co said if negotiations with the company fail and the firm insists that they pay up, they have to decide whether the case is worth the cost of defending it in court.

• Those who are disputing with Asian Business Pages may write in to:

Enforcement Division
      Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)
      10 Anson Road
      #05-01/15
      Singapore 079903
      Fax: (65) 6225 1676

115 posts since Nov '07
    • Originally posted by scarborough:
      This company broadcast faxes a form with the receipient details, asking the receipient to verify the details as the deadline for the printing is near.

The form has a logo that look like Yellow Pages, but infact , it is "Singapore Business Pages".

The usual repsond of the recipients after receiving the fax is to quickly amend the comapny details, sign, chop and return the fax. Esp those who already signed up with Yellow Pages as they thot that this is a confirmation of their details by Yellow Pages.

NOTE: One of the details in the form is wrong, thus, receipient will correct it and fax back immediately.

Nothing heard in the next few weeks... then an invoice will be received by the receipient who responded to the fax stating the the invoice amt of $6k++ that company has signed up with Asian Business Directories Pte Ltd for the ads their publication.

The comes as a shock and the "advertiser" look back to what they have signed on the fax. The fine print on the form says "Advertising Contract ..... with 7 days free look period ..... $3K++ a year for 2 editions etc"

only then, the "advertiser" realised that they have signed a contract without knowing it. Of course, the free look period is already over as you are not aware in the first place that it is NOT Yellow Pages BUT SINGAPORE BUSINESS PAGES.

Beware!!!

I had the same bad experience! I was conned on the phone by a young woman into faxing them back the contract on the 3rd April 2006 thinking I was renewing my advertisement in the publication 'Singapore Agri-Food Business Directory' (the format of the advertisement in the contract was exactlywhat I had placed in this publication previously). Imagine my 'horror' when I received their bill later for S$4,250 p.a. for 2 years' advertisement. I immediately called them on the phone telling them the mistake and my intention to rescind this contract but I was refused with them saying I have to pay failing which they will pursue legal actions against my company. I ignored their request and they continued to pursue me for payment via letters and also writing to me with suggestions to settle this matter amicably. On the 15th March 2007 they send to me another invitation to advertise which I replied by calling them on the phone to stop their attempts to scam Singaporeans of their hard-earned money. I have not heard from them since! Now the question that bugs me is this : Singapore pride itself on having good regulations and a good system of checks and balances by the way of licencing to ensure that publication businesses are approved and properly licenced ..... How Did This Business Get Its' Licence To Publish In The First Place?

207 posts since Jan '04
    • I did asked MDA on this, they did not give me a written reply but a verbal repond. MDA said that they do not check on company backgorund to issue the publiching MICA licence, not ven t check if the company is registered as a publishing company. i.e. any registered business can apply to publish a newspaper, directories etc ....

I think MDA should just stop issuing the publishing licence to ADB.

54,017 posts since Aug '05
    207 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by stopthescam:
      Hi all,

Same scam from the same group of people are active in Hong Kong too! They have been reported all over Hong Kong! Please check the following news from HK newspapers (in Chinese)

Yahoo News: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/060728/12/1qn0u.html

Apple Daily News: http://appledaily.atnext.com/template/apple/art_main.cfm?iss_id=20060719&sec_id=4104&subsec_id=2753&art_id=6140118

Apple Daily News: http://appledaily.atnext.com/template/apple/art_main.cfm?iss_id=20060729&sec_id=4104&subsec_id=11867&art_id=6171653

Sing Tao News: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070715/60/2bidb.html

Ming Pao News: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070715/12/2bi46.html

Ming Pao News: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070719/12/2bvas.html

Ming Pao News: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070719/12/2bv2e.html

Shing Tao News: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070719/60/2bv2f.html

HK Headline News: http://www.hkheadline.com/news/headline_news_detail.asp?id=29970&section_name=wnn

The scam has also been broadcasted on RTHK (HK Radio Channel) in Chinese: http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/expressnews/news.htm?expressnews&20070719&55&417138

The HK police has officially released a press release about the case (in English): http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200707/19/P200707190228.htm

Please stay firm and do not pay the money to the scammers. You were encouraging the scam and making other victims suffer if you gave in to them. THAT IS NOT GOOD!
    • They want people to belive so, which infact, many victims think so and kena conned

Originally posted by ndmmxiaomayi:
      I thought it's Yellow Pages? No?
    • http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200707/19/P200707190228.htm

Appeal for victims of possible fraud cases to come forward
      Police today (July 19) urged members of the public and companies that might consider having fallen prey to a possible fraud being practised on companies in Hong Kong to come forward.

In view of the upsurge of complaints received in connection with a suspected fraud case with similar modus operandi, the Police’s Commercial Crime Bureau (CCB)appealed to the members of the public, in particular small and medium enterprises, to pay special attention to any terms and conditions stated on any document and reply slip even they do not appear to be an agreement with binding effect prior to signing.

The modus operandi of the suspected fraud case is that a letter was sent to victim companies inviting them to verify and update their companies’ details for inclusion in a publication akin to the yellow pages. However, the letter also contained a paragraph printed with smaller letters outlining the terms and conditions, which require them to pay for subscribing advertising service.

The case revealed that without going through the terms and conditions in details, the victims signed the reply slip, endorsed with a company chop and returned the slips by post or fax. They later found themselves having entered into an agreement with the letter originating company and were were liable to make payment from ten to some ten thousands dollars.

Police appealed to the public to be aware of such possible fraud case and anyone who has come across such similar suspected fraud case are advised to make a report to CCB hotline at 2860 5012.

Police Report No. 4

Ends/Thursday, July 19, 2007
      Issued at HKT 19:17

1 post since Nov '07
    • Hi there,

Our company is another one con by this company ABDPL. Same thing happened to me almost the same time as Jack and to-date there is still no reply from them although we have sent them numerous letters and emails. The case was still pending and when we called them at their office the receptionist always claimed that the Manager is engaged in the meeting and the Director is not the office.

No communication from this office. Still wandering whether they existed until now that I receive this forum that the company is still doing such unscrupulous things to other companies.

We are all victims and need help from the authority to catch these guys who are at large to con our hard earn monies.

Let's join hand and put our resources together to fight against cheater......

I believe there are a lot of companies like us who are trapped by them. Come on lets stand up. Can any authorities from the government help us in this matter.

PLEASE HELP !

207 posts since Jan '04
    • I have gathered many supports after writing to all those who are conned by them. How to know who are the victims? I got hold of a copy of their so called Asian Business Directories 2007.

I will post the repsonses of the victims, minus out their company and personal details ... I hope those who responded don't mine me sharing the experience of each

• You are not alone !! Response from others:

First of all, how you get to know this? I agreed with you that the tactic they use is unacceptable!

Sure I can write my experience to ACRA.

Who to address?Maybe you can share experience to way I can go around it.

Thanks

Thanks for your email. Out of curiosity, how do you get to know we are one of the company which fell under this scam?

Rdgs,

You are absolutely right.
      I have unwittingly signed for it thinking it's a listing of company in the yellow page.
      Too bad for me.

Rdgs,

I have the same problem. U may wish to contact me at snip~

Yes, I can share with you please feel free to call me at snip~

Thanks for your email regards the above mentioned case. We had been frusfrated by this case as well, my wife though need to update the fax no, that way she updated the particulars and two week later, they (Singapore Business Pages ) sent us the billing and wanted us to pay, as we already advertised in others company, we not willing to spent this money. Meanwhile we said we will lodge this matter to authority to handle, at the meantime, they already stop sending us bill and calling us.

By the way, still not very sure how you know we part of the victim.

Thanks and best regars

Give me your contact, I will be most happy to share with you my horrible experience with them. I have gone to CASE, they told me to engage my own lawyer.

Regards

I make a mistake by faxing to them their pre-filled form, containing my company's details, thinking that it was the usual Singtel phonebook directory update.
      When I discovered that it was a 2 yr contract with them costing quite a lot of money, I immediately wrote to them to explain my oversight and that there is no reason for me to advertise in this directory when my business is not active at all.

They were kind enough to cancel the contract at no cost though initially I was told that I may have to incur some admin. charges. I believe many have been mislead by the letter.

By the way where did you see my listing? I thought they would have removed it from the directory.

Thank you for your message. We did have an issue with them, probably along the same line. Recently on 12/10/07 we received a mail from SBF indicating that Singapore Business Pages has nothing to do with the former (SBF). SBF indicated that they have received the same feedback. Can you kindly let me have a copy of how your complaint to ACRA is drafted.

How do u get to know our case. kindly reply.

Please Login or Signup to reply.