16 Apr, 06:12PM in sunny Singapore!

Do i have the right to refuse officer's demand to see my IC?

Subscribe to Do i have the right to refuse officer's demand to see my IC? 87 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    3,015 posts since Oct '05
    • People, just want to ask something. If a Singapore cop in uniform ask to see my NRIC (for no apparent reason) when I'm having coffee or walking along the road, do I have a right to refuse?

What if the "Mata" NOT in uniform but shows me proof that he is a officer? Same applies?

Edited by Texcoco II 28 Sep `06, 8:45PM
    8,830 posts since Nov '03
    • Originally posted by Texcoco II:
      People, just want to ask something. If a Singapore cop in uniform ask to see my NRIC (for no apparent reason) when I'm having coffee or walking along the road, do I have a right to refuse?

What if the "Mata" NOT in uniform but shows me proof that he is a running dog for the Police? Same applies?

no, u will be send to sit in the mata car and drive to the station

2,694 posts since May '06
    11,873 posts since Oct '05
    • You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense. Laughing

1,487 posts since Jun '05
    • Originally posted by monoslayer:
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense. Laughing

U in America? Laughing
      Singapore got no right to remain silent one lah.

23,172 posts since Jul '04
    • u muz show.

provided he can prove he is mata.

but hor..

if off duty and on duty got diff?

22,845 posts since Nov '02
    • yes you may refuse the officer's demand, but if he have a darn good reason to check yours.

Then you should.

2,748 posts since Aug '04
    • Originally posted by Deunamist:
      U in America? Laughing
      Singapore got no right to remain silent one lah.

When it comes to the law, we ain't got the right to remain silent, but when it comes to politics, not only do you have the right, you are also highly "encouraged" to put that right into use.

25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • You have the right to demand to see his warrant card first.

If he produces it, then he has the right to demand your IC.

54 posts since Oct '04
    • if the officer is not in uniform, u can demand to see his warrant card…but after that, u will have to furnish ur particulars.

633 posts since Feb '03
      People, just want to ask something. If a Singapore cop in uniform ask to see my NRIC (for no apparent reason) when I'm having coffee or walking along the road, do I have a right to refuse?

What if the "Mata" NOT in uniform but shows me proof that he is a officer? Same applies?

well, usually there is a reason for spot checks.....

so maybe you wanna read this for your own references?

CONTEMPTS OF THE LAWFUL AUTHORITY OF PUBLIC SERVANTS

91 posts since Apr '04
    • Originally posted by qazplm:
      well, usually there is a reason for spot checks.....

so maybe you wanna read this for your own references?

CONTEMPTS OF THE LAWFUL AUTHORITY OF PUBLIC SERVANTS

Which section in there gives the cops permission to check me? I read from Sections 172 to 190 ... I did not see a single section that gave them the power to check my NRIC.

633 posts since Feb '03
    • Originally posted by Bamboozler:
      Which section in there gives the cops permission to check me? I read from Sections 172 to 190 ... I did not see a single section that gave them the power to check my NRIC.

i almost laugh off my chair when i read your reply....

My answer is to the question the thread starter posted and not to yours...
      He was asking does he/she have the rights to refuse, but u are instead asking what section empowers the officer to do so....

i am amused by your reply and indeed sure that you have replied it with a wrong intention....

well, just to answer you(in case you going to pass remarks on me), I believe every police officers have their own reason to conduct spot checks as stated on my previous reply... You think they so free to just hand pick anyone in the street and start to questioned them for nothing? or perhaps you must be thinking that they are abusing their powers to conduct checks on Member of Public?

I would like to state again, there will be a reason behind every spot checks, and If you think you are being mistreated by the policeman conducting a spot checks then please feedback to the SPF.... i believe every police man is aware about complains and can handle them well.... for example the recent hot topic in STORM.... i was amused that who the hell was so free to waste time doing the whole process, kudos to he/her or them man~

May be when you are being spot checked in the future, do ask the men in blue for the reasons behind the checks? then again, if you have nothing to hide, why retaliate when being check? Mr. Green

2,579 posts since May '05
    • they want to check let them check lor. they doing guard duty mah. i think they need some quota or what de. just help them out lor.

226 posts since May '05

wait till u come across an uncle who say "IC, IC, IC"....

17,875 posts since Jun '05
    • Actually, the phrase has changed.

They no longer ask for NRIC.

The POLITICALLY CORRECT demands are: Sir, I doing a routine check, can I see your particulars, preferably on a card with a Photo ID?

4,280 posts since May '04
    • If they check, just give your IC lah.
      Why you wan to refuse them? Act tough ah?
      If you dun wan to show your IC when you have it, what diff are you from the illegal immigrants who claims to be Singaporean but also can't show any IC either? Not street smart lah...
      Then dun complain when Police arrest you for failing to furnish particulars. 5 mins effort you dun cooperate, bring you back mata station, do fingerprint to prove your identity and the process is hours...for wat??
      Think other country so civilise like Spore?
      Try our neighbouring country like Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia...you say buay song, dun give IC....beat you like a dog and arrest you for illegal immigrant. By then you take out IC they tell you 'sorry hor'....you ask for it.

My fd was saved once by a spot check. He was checked and there was record of him being spot check. One week later he was wrongly identified to be involved in a fight. Lucky the spot check shows that he was not at that place. He was thankful the police officer checked him.

633 posts since Feb '03
    • Originally posted by freedom4ever:
      they want to check let them check lor. they doing guard duty mah. i think they need some quota or what de. just help them out lor.

There is no such things as quota in the SPF....

another common misunderstanding of public towards the SPF...

i dont blame you... Mr. Green

91 posts since Apr '04
    • Originally posted by qazplm:
      i almost laugh off my chair when i read your reply....[/quote]

Why?

Originally posted by qazplm:

i am amused by your reply and indeed sure that you have replied it with a wrong intention....

well, just to answer you(in case you going to pass remarks on me), I believe every police officers have their own reason to conduct spot checks as stated on my previous reply... You think they so free to just hand pick anyone in the street and start to questioned them for nothing? or perhaps you must be thinking that they are abusing their powers to conduct checks on Member of Public?

I am sure they will have a reason to check on members of the public, but they also need a legal basis. I don't see it in the sections you gave. Perhaps you're not aware of that because you're not a police officer, but they are not allowed to make random checks.

[quote]Originally posted by qazplm:
      May be when you are being spot checked in the future, do ask the men in blue for the reasons behind the checks? then again, if you have nothing to hide, why retaliate when being check? Mr. Green

When I get spot checked I will comply and I always ask them why. I think everybody should.

Edited by Bamboozler 10 Oct `06, 10:08AM
    399 posts since Dec '05
    • People, just want to ask something. If a Singapore cop in uniform ask to see my NRIC (for no apparent reason) when I'm having coffee or walking along the road, do I have a right to refuse?

Well , in truth you do have the right. But the consequence is that you will be brought to the police station.

S.33(1) Of the Criminal Procedure Code gives a police officer the right to demand the name and residence of a person whom he reasonably believes has commited a non- seizable offence.

If that person does not give his name and residence, ( ie, show his ic) , or gives a false one, he can be arrested by the police officer to ascertain his name and residence but must be released within 24 hrs or brought before the nearest magistrate's court.

2,435 posts since Apr '06
    • See warrant card, then call police to check if this fella is genuine. Must make sure, not everyone can see my IC one you know.

15 posts since Aug '04
    91 posts since Apr '04
    • Originally posted by Gem:
      Bamboozler:

CAP 201 SEC 16(1)(b)
      National Registration Act
      should have an answer u need... Wink

This is more like it ... but this act does not give the cops blanket power to check for ID, they must suspect that the person has committed some NRA crime.

Anything else?

• Originally posted by zanza:
      Well , in truth you do have the right. But the consequence is that you will be brought to the police station.

S.33(1) Of the Criminal Procedure Code gives a police officer the right to demand the name and residence of a person whom he reasonably believes has commited a non- seizable offence.

If that person does not give his name and residence, ( ie, show his ic) , or gives a false one, he can be arrested by the police officer to ascertain his name and residence but must be released within 24 hrs or brought before the nearest magistrate's court.

So in other words, some kind of offence must have been committed, or suspected to have been committed before a cop can request for ID.

6,553 posts since Jul '06
    • Of course you have the right to refuse. The police officer must have a vallid reason to ask you for your i/c. Wink

Please Login or Signup to reply.