28 Feb, 09:02AM in sunny Singapore!

Daily Buddhist Verses

Subscribe to Daily Buddhist Verses 1,734 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    17,258 posts since Sep '04
    • This topic is all about the sayings and wisdom of Buddha in Buddhist scriptures.

Good health is the highest gain.
      Contentment is the greatest wealth.
      Trustworthy ones are the best kinsmen.
      Nibbana is the highest Bliss. - Buddha

Dhammapada Verse 204

(update):

By the way if you have found any nice Buddhist verses could you please share with us too Smile

Update 2: BTW, I have decided that anyone who wishes to post any Buddhist verses that is NOT from Buddha, but by other Buddhist masters, venerables, etc, which you find useful, you may do so. Smile

Edited by An Eternal Now 11 Sep `05, 9:58PM
    • Hatreds do not cease through hatreds
      Anywhere at anytime.
      Through love alone do they cease:
      This is an eternal law.

The Dhammapada, Verse 5, Chapter 1 (The Twin Verses)

Edited by An Eternal Now 24 Mar `05, 2:41AM
    • The Perfect One is free from any theory, for the Perfect One has understood what the body is, and how it arises, and passes away. He has understood what feeling is, and how it arises, and passes away. He has understood what perception is, and how it arises, and passes away. He has understood what the mental formations are, and how they arise, and pass away. He has understood what consciousness is, and how it arises, and passes away.

Therefore, I say, the Perfect One has won complete deliverance through the extinction, fading away, disappearance, rejection, and getting rid of all opinions and conjectures, of all inclination to the vainglory of I and mine.

- Majjhima Nikaya, 72

• Driven only by fear, do men go for refuge to many places — to hills, woods, groves, trees and shrines.

Such, indeed, is no safe refuge; such is not the refuge supreme. Not by resorting to such a refuge is one released from all suffering.

He who has gone for refuge to the Buddha, the Teaching and his Order, penetrates with transcendental wisdom the Four Noble Truths — suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path leading to the cessation of suffering. [16]

This indeed is the safe refuge, this the refuge supreme. Having gone to such a refuge, one is released from all suffering.

Dhammapada Chapter 14 verses 188~192

Edited by An Eternal Now 24 Mar `05, 3:11AM
    • Buddha's body is always apparent,
      Filling the entire cosmos,
      Always intoning far-reaching sound
      Shaking all lands in all quarters.

Buddha manifests bodily everywhere,
      Entering into all worlds,
      Revealing occult spiritual power
      According to the inclinations of beings.

Buddha appears before all beings
      In accordance with their minds;
      What the sentient beings see
      Is the Buddha's mystic power.

His radiance has no bounds
      And his teaching too is infinite;
      Buddha children enter and observe
      According to their knowledge.

The Buddha's body has no birth
      Yet can appear to be born.
      The nature of reality is like space:
      Therein do the Buddhas dwell.

No abiding, yet no departing:
      Everywhere the Buddha's seen;
      His light reaches everywhere,
      His fame is heard afar.

No substance, no abode,
      And no origin that can be found;
      No signs, no form:
      What appears is like reflections.

- Avatamsaka Sutra p. 164-165

Edited by An Eternal Now 26 Mar `05, 12:35PM
    • Do not pursue the past.
      Do not lose yourself in the future.
      The past no longer is.
      The future has not yet come.
      Looking deeply at life as it is.
      In the very here and now, the practitioner dwells in stability and freedom.
      We must be diligent today.
      To wait until tomorrow is too late.
      Death comes unexpectedly.
      How can we bargain with it?
      The sage calls a person who knows how to dwell in mindfulness night and day,
      'one who knows the better way to live alone.'

- Bhaddekaratta Sutta

• "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

- Buddha

• Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it. Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Joy follows a pure thought like a shadow that never leaves.

- The Buddha

• One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.

- The Buddha

• Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

- Buddha

• He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.

- Buddha

• O bhikshus! Do not grieve! Even if I were to live in the world for as long as a kalpa,
      our coming together would have to end.
      You should know that all things in the world are impermanent;
      coming together inevitably means parting.
      Do not be troubled, for this is the nature of life.
      Diligently practicing right effort, you must seek liberation immediately.
      Within the light of wisdom, destroy the darkness of ignorance.
      Nothing is secure. Everything in this life is precarious.
      Always wholeheartedly seek the way of liberation.
      All things in the world, whether moving or non-moving,
      are characterized by disappearance and instability.
      Stop now! Do not speak! Time is passing.
      I am about to cross over.
      This is my final teaching.

- The Buddha's final words, Parinirvana Sutra

• Desire is a chain, shackled to the world, and it is a difficult one to
      break. But once that is done, there is no more grief and no more longing;
      the stream has been cut off and there are no more chains.

- Sutta Nipata 948

• If one sees me in forms,
      If one seeks me in sounds,
      He practices a deviant way,
      And cannot see the Tathagata.

- Diamond Sutra

Edited by An Eternal Now 27 Apr `05, 4:10PM
    • The mind, the Buddha, living creatures - these are not three different things.

—Avatamasaka Sutra

• He who sees me sees the dharma, he who sees the dharma sees me.

- Buddha

• If a person is energetic, mindful, pure in thought, word and deed, if he does everything with care and consideration, restrains his senses; earns his living according to the Dhamma and is not unheedful, then, the fame and fortune of that mindful person increase.

- Dhammapada

• Victory breeds hatred. The defeated live in pain. Happily the peaceful live, giving up victory and defeat.

- Buddha

• Subhuti said to Buddha: World-honored One, will there always be men who will truly believe after coming to hear these teachings?

Buddha answered: Subhuti, do not utter such words! At the end of the last five-hundred-year period following the passing of the Tathagata, there will be self-controlled men, rooted in merit, coming to hear these teachings, who will be inspired with belief. But you should realize that such men have not strengthened their root of merit under just one Buddha, or two Buddhas, or three, or four, or five Buddhas, but under countless Buddhas; and their merit is of every kind. Such men, coming to hear these teachings, will have an immediate uprising of pure faith, Subhuti; and the Tathagata will recognize them. Yes, He will clearly perceive all these of pure heart, and the magnitude of their moral excellences.

Wherefore? It is because such men will not fall back to cherishing the idea of an ego-entity, a personality, a being, or a separated individuality. They will neither fall back to cherishing the idea of things as having intrinsic qualities, nor even of things as devoid of intrinsic qualities.

Wherefore? Because if such men allowed their minds to grasp and hold on to anything they would be cherishing the idea of an ego-entity, a personality, a being, or a separated individuality; and if they grasped and held on to the notion of things as having intrinsic qualities they would be cherishing the idea of an ego-entity, a personality, a being, or a separated individuality. Likewise, if they grasped and held on to the notion of things as devoid of intrinsic qualities they would be cherishing the idea of an ego-entity, a personality, a being, or a separated individuality. So you should not be attached to things as being possessed of, or devoid of, intrinsic qualities. This is the reason why the Tathagata always teaches this saying: My teaching of the Good Law is to be likened unto a raft. [Does a man who has safely crossed a flood upon a raft continue his journey carrying that raft upon his head?] The Buddha-teaching must be relinquished; how much more so mis-teaching!

- Diamond Sutra

Edited by An Eternal Now 14 May `05, 12:02PM
    • A brahmin once asked The Blessed One:
      "Are you a God?"
      "No, brahmin" said The Blessed One.
      "Are you a saint?"
      "Are you a magician?"
      "What are you then?"
      "I am awake."

• Not the faults of others, not what others have done or left undone, but one’s own deeds, done or left undone, should one consider. – Dhammapada, v. 50

• When the Bodhisattva, Shakyamuni, was borned, he displayed the 32 marks designating a Great man and a Universal Victor, and immediately he stands on his feet, surveys the directions, takes seven steps to the north (N.B. not on lotus flowers) and in a lordly voice says, "I am the chief of the world. I am the best in the world. I am the first in the world. This is my last birth. There is now no existence again."

After speaking, he then fell silent and, like other infants, neither walked nor talked.

Edited by An Eternal Now 21 May `05, 4:47PM
    • Nirvana is the realm of Dharmata-Buddha; it is where the manifestation of Noble Wisdora that is Buddhahood expresses itself in Perfect Love for all; it is where the manifestation of Perfect Love that is Tathagatahood (Buddha) expresses itself in Noble Wisdom for the enlightenment of all -there, indeed, is Nirvana.

- Lankavatara Sutra

• Things are not as they seem — and nor are they otherwise.

~ Lankavatara Sutra

• Kalama Sutra

"Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching. Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the
      spirit of the words. Rely not on theory, but on experience.Do not believe in anything simply because you
      have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do
      not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is
      written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and
      elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is
      conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

- the Buddha

Please Login or Signup to reply.