25 Jul, 06:08PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Cars

Why is some section of the road painted red?

Subscribe to Why is some section of the road painted red? 28 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    43,270 posts since Jul '04
    • any ideas why some section of the road are repatched in red with brick-like design? it's very unsightly. Rolling Eyes

37,245 posts since Jul '03
    • near pedestrian crossings in housing estates? to heighten awareness that pedestrian crossings are nearing i think

3,750 posts since May '05
    • they are usually found at school zones…. my guess is that the colour is to warn the drivers that they are in a zone where there will be a lot of pedestrian movement and secondly, the rough texture of the bricks increases tire grip especially in rain, less chances of skidding in case you were speeding and suddenly have to jam the brakes.

19,824 posts since Jun '02
    43,270 posts since Jul '04
    19,824 posts since Jun '02
    • Originally posted by Gordonator:
      u think malaysia ah? Laughing

no lah.. hmmm... nvmd.. i oso dunnoe how to say...

13 posts since Feb '05
    • NOt bricks but is tar coding with the brick design. Seen them doing it when my house de road revamp… When the tax is hot they pour down and then put the mash wire with the bricks shape… After that they paint it…

30 posts since Sep '05
    10,499 posts since Jul '01
    16,865 posts since Sep '05
    • Originally posted by nick34:
      and pls ... its not rough ... its slippery during raining days Evil or Very Mad

yes!! n its so dangerous..NUS has tis whole patch in front of e library..on rainy days, u can see buses skidding! wat more, NUS is on a ridge...

10,499 posts since Jul '01
    • Originally posted by alfagal:
      yes!! n its so dangerous..NUS has tis whole patch in front of e library..on rainy days, u can see buses skidding! wat more, NUS is on a ridge...

News reported that these kind of road will have more grip so that vehicles can stop in time ... I seriously doubt so now ... after my driver told me that he skidded with my cargo on my 10 tons lorry ...

15,522 posts since Apr '04
    • Originally posted by nick34:
      News reported that these kind of road will have more grip so that vehicles can stop in time ... I seriously doubt so now ... after my driver told me that he skidded with my cargo on my 10 tons lorry ...

Skidding, fully translational movement.

And I've seen a bus braking, wheels dun rotate, but the bus just continues sliding down the slope. Damn scary sia.

2,252 posts since Jul '05
    • Wa. That's dangerous. If the bus langgah something.. Surprised

And the brick design is.. lame. And unsightly. They could have just put red markings on the asphalt road.

4,886 posts since Jul '03
    • Originally posted by deathscythe99:
      Skidding, fully translational movement.

And I've seen a bus braking, wheels dun rotate, but the bus just continues sliding down the slope. Damn scary sia.

U see that happen alot in thailand...In fact almost everytime when it rains and u have 2 brake Downslope....

1,194 posts since Nov '04
    • Originally posted by tomsss:
      they are usually found at school zones.... my guess is that the colour is to warn the drivers that they are in a zone where there will be a lot of pedestrian movement and secondly, the rough texture of the bricks increases tire grip especially in rain, less chances of skidding in case you were speeding and suddenly have to jam the brakes.

I was thinking it is more like the rough surface give the feeling of bumpy-ness and thus driver would know to slow down.

• Originally posted by wbucket:
      I was thinking it is more like the rough surface give the feeling of bumpy-ness and thus driver would know to slow down.

Hmm.. then they would have put speed humps? But the brick type road does not really feel bumpy.. the 'cracks' between the bricks are very small..

33 posts since Mar '05
    • When you see red section on the road, please please slow down…. it is a school zone expecially primary schools. Children have been warned in school not to play when they are walking along pathways adjacent to roads, but many a times they never listen. These red sections are a warning to drivers that they are approaching school zone and therefore there may be children who can unexpectedly run onto the road. Please be very careful and not hit the children, they are innocent.

• Originally posted by KapitanE:
      When you see red section on the road, please please slow down.... it is a school zone expecially primary schools. Children have been warned in school not to play when they are walking along pathways adjacent to roads, but many a times they never listen. These red sections are a warning to drivers that they are approaching school zone and therefore there may be children who can unexpectedly run onto the road. Please be very careful and not hit the children, they are innocent.

Yah, but sometimes children do rush on the road. Sometimes really cant be avoided. I am not saying that we all should drive recklessly or what. But sometimes people do jaywalk, and sometimes accidents may happen. Sometimes it's really unfair to the driver because even though he did nothing wrong, it's sometimes hard to avoid accidents even if we are driving at slow speeds.

And the children are innocent? Running across the road, jaywalking is innocent? That' what they built the traffic light junctions and zebra crossings for.

Edited by nightsky87 21 Oct `05, 4:43PM
    379 posts since Jun '05
    • sg gahment dunno what the F they doing. Can easily use bricks like JB mah. Do until when I pass over those red patch, i gotta slow down because i fear i will slips(motorbike). I think they achieved their objectives from a certain point of view.

333 posts since Jul '04
    • Originally posted by Gordonator:
      any ideas why some section of the road are repatched in red with brick-like design? it's very unsightly. Rolling Eyes

If you realise it is at almost all school junctions/crossings. It is to warn vehicles that a school is there..

But than again.. Its dam slippery when riding a bike be it raining or not.

235 posts since Mar '05
    • red means slow down coz near sch or places where u see alot of pedestrian crossing the road..

slippery becoz the road is painted not becoz of the ''bricks''..motorcyclist will know this better...u seldom see them travelling on lane marking when its raining...same reasoning..

so since u r suppose to slow at these areas..there no reason why u will skid so extensively unless u r travelling fast..

and NUS central library is harzardous...bcoz the bus drivers are hazardous..i've seen bus knocking a gal down before but fortunately no serious injuries...You see so many ppl jay walking each time a bus arrives...and that's why the road is painted red to warn ppl..

33 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by nightsky87:
      Yah, but sometimes children do rush on the road. Sometimes really cant be avoided. I am not saying that we all should drive recklessly or what. But sometimes people do jaywalk, and sometimes accidents may happen. Sometimes it's really unfair to the driver because even though he did nothing wrong, it's sometimes hard to avoid accidents even if we are driving at slow speeds.

And the children are innocent? Running across the road, jaywalking is innocent? That' what they built the traffic light junctions and zebra crossings for.

Yes, children are innocent.... do you remember when you were a kid who knows nothing better then to dash across the street even though you have been warned many times over by your parents, teahcers, uncles and aunties...

Yes, they are innocent because that is the period time when they are still learning about the world, being curious.... they do not know the consequences of their actions because they are innocent.

Adults are as said, ADULTS. We know what is right and wrong, we have to know what will be the consequences of our actions.

Spare a thought for children, when coming to school zones, slow down and be doubly alert, when you see kids walking on the sidewalk, take note and be ready in case they do rush out,........

• Originally posted by KapitanE:
      Yes, children are innocent.... do you remember when you were a kid who knows nothing better then to dash across the street even though you have been warned many times over by your parents, teahcers, uncles and aunties...

Yes, they are innocent because that is the period time when they are still learning about the world, being curious.... they do not know the consequences of their actions because they are innocent.

Adults are as said, ADULTS. We know what is right and wrong, we have to know what will be the consequences of our actions.

Spare a thought for children, when coming to school zones, slow down and be doubly alert, when you see kids walking on the sidewalk, take note and be ready in case they do rush out,........

Haha ok la.. granted that way.. but i'm not advocating that we go around langgah-ing into children la. Just want to speak up for SOME incidents whereby the driver may not be at fault.. But just becaue the victim is a child and if the child pass away, the driver is in deep shit and everyboby will assume that it was the driver who was driving recklessly..

Still, the important thing is to be alert when driving at all times.. and not only at school zones.. isnt it? Less accidents = less traffic james = happy drivers. Very Happy Hahaha

6,078 posts since Feb '04
    • Oh, when you come to the red sections of the road, you're suppose to get out and puch your car across it with engine idling. Then get in and drive on after you passed it.

846 posts since Aug '02
    • hmm i also think it’s to alert motorists to the presence of a school and school children. but seriously, i dont think the red road works. it seems to be more slippery and on top of that, no information was given to motorists about it’s purpose and we are all simply just guessing. they should just use signs like the flashing “SCH ZONE” light..

Please Login or Signup to reply.