19 Apr, 11:15AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Cars

is shell v power good?

Subscribe to is shell v power good? 9 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    70 posts since Nov '04
    • guys i m currently using caltex gold for a long period of time.but when i go msia i norm put shell v power.can feel e diff.but i was wondering if its ok to always to use v power not taking into account e price of it.i heard that since e fuel is very fine it burns faster n not good for regular usage.norm ppl use shell 98.tot of changing my petrol to another brand so lookin into others.those who r using diff petrol pls advise.thanks.

2,009 posts since Apr '04
    • Actually you just have to stick to the grade of petrol recommended on your car manual. Going too much up a grade may not do any good to your car.

4,886 posts since Jul '03
    • well it is good….but only for those high performance vehs…for eg in a test done by UK’s fith gear a WRX imperza gained as much as 7BHP when pumped with v-power(shell optimax in the UK) compared to RON95 but when they took a Norm saloon like a Clio they found no diff whatsoever…all these were done on a Dyno…so If yr car a high performance veh u’ll benefit from V-power…if it isnt then its not worth the price

718 posts since May '03
    • v-power? also ron 98 mah. so wats the point? unless u’re talking abt ron 101 which is wat japan’s highest grade is..i remembered that caltex used to haf ron 100..is there a diff? anyone pump it before?

79 posts since Aug '04
    • Envy those who can own a REX and pump V-Power all the time. Smile Must be making a lot of money...nyce..

2,702 posts since Sep '03
    • Originally posted by so_nice:
      v-power? also ron 98 mah. so wats the point? unless u're talking abt ron 101 which is wat japan's highest grade is..i remembered that caltex used to haf ron 100..is there a diff? anyone pump it before?

i believe u were referring to vortex platinum? dats supposedly rated at RON 100 but 4 some reason, caltex isn't declaring the figures as such.

contrary to popular belief, higher RON petrols actually "burns" slower than lower grade petrols. its hard to quantify on a molecular level, but higher RON fuels basically leaves lesser "competition" for air molecules to combust with which results in a more controlled and consistent combustion wavefront.

this is general desirable for engines with high compression or under boost because of their anti knock properties. with higher ron, it means u can run more aggressive timing, higher boost (therefore increase in power) with lesser risk of pre-detonation or overheating coz the A/F mix also burns cooler at the same time.

the downside is if u use it on e conventional non performance engine, it can't really utilize the benefits of a high RON grade petrol coz it was built with a higher threshold for poorer petrols as well as to be more fuel efficient in that sense. therefore, u might not feel any improvements if u are the owner of such cars.

718 posts since May '03
    • oic..thanks for this piece of nice info..i used to pump ron 98 for honda city vtec..notice the mileage wasn't impressive..(i pump spc, only once in awhile kui vtec..) how could be the reason? its pretty stock other then an open pod..any reason for that?

anyway, wat grade of petrol do u recommend for an toyota vios? 98/95?

97 posts since Aug '05
    • Vortex Platinum is better than v power........
      but if u r just driving a normal saloon, no nid pump 98 lah, waste $ only...
      just normal 95 will do, some can even take 92... read ur manual =))

2,702 posts since Sep '03
    • Originally posted by so_nice:
      oic..thanks for this piece of nice info..i used to pump ron 98 for honda city vtec..notice the mileage wasn't impressive..(i pump spc, only once in awhile kui vtec..) how could be the reason? its pretty stock other then an open pod..any reason for that?

anyway, wat grade of petrol do u recommend for an toyota vios? 98/95?

no prob Wink

city vtec and vios are both cars designed for practical purposes with a touch of performance to spice up the whole package. they do exceedingly well with 95 already so there is really no need for higher octane fuels. dat is unless u have done some serious mods to alter the factory characteristics of the engine and ecu which requires the usage of higher grade fuels to compliment the upgrades.

Please Login or Signup to reply.