25 Apr, 04:37AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Cars

Mercedes Benz W124 - any problems?

Subscribe to Mercedes Benz W124 - any problems? 54 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    1,233 posts since Nov '05
    • w124 with 9 years coe left is going as cheap as 11k on sgcarmart.

i've heard legends about it having rock solid build quality like a tank, but also stories of old ones breaking down oftenly, espcially in singapore climate.

so can anyone with an experience share?

Edited by sir_peanuts 22 Oct `07, 9:51AM
    35,170 posts since Apr '03
    • Less problems than a W210.

Try to get a 16V model. Make sure there is no huge problems with the transmission and suspension.

191 posts since Jun '07
    64 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by sir_peanuts:
      w124 with 9 years coe left is going as cheap as 12k on sgcarmart.

i've heard legends about it having rock solid build quality like a tank, but also stories of old ones breaking down oftenly, espcially in singapore climate.

so can anyone with an experience share?

when you get it,

dun forget to join SGMERC[/url]

4,886 posts since Jul '03
    61 posts since Jun '05
    • I believe the price indicated is wrong. Normally such age n coe should be ard 26 - 28k.

I driving a W124 now but the one advertised is 8 valves engine. Get a 16 valves one; more powerful.

As for problem every old car got its share of problems but one thing is W124 parts is easily avaliable n price wise still ok. But do note the engine oil is 6 litres and the transmission oil is 8 litres. Very costly.

• Originally posted by ody2004:
      I believe the price indicated is wrong. Normally such age n coe should be ard 26 - 28k.

I driving a W124 now but the one advertised is 8 valves engine. Get a 16 valves one; more powerful.

As for problem every old car got its share of problems but one thing is W124 parts is easily avaliable n price wise still ok. But do note the engine oil is 6 litres and the transmission oil is 8 litres. Very costly.

if i'm correct the 8 valve engine is the pre-facelift 200Es while the 16 valve ones are the later batches of the E200 and E220s (1994 Era) can anyone confirm this? tofushop193??

• Originally posted by AE86tofu:
      if i'm correct the 8 valve engine is the pre-facelift 200Es while the 16 valve ones are the later batches of the E200 and E220s (1994 Era) can anyone confirm this? tofushop193??

1986-1988 - W124 200 (Carb model)
      1989-1992 - W124 200E (8V injection)
      1993 - W124 200e (16V injection, pre facelift)
      1994-1995 W124 E200 (16V Facelift) Masterpiece edition (1995)

Parts are readily available. If I had a chassis and the time, I'd build a E500 replica. Embarassed

Edited by LazerLordz 23 Sep `07, 5:06PM
    3,750 posts since May '05

dunno why but somehow i prefer the pre-facelift 200Es... the look more robust and less refined. Laughing Eh this is a car i wouldn't mind getting as my first ride leh Laughing

7,964 posts since Jun '05
    • Originally posted by tomsss:
      dunno why but somehow i prefer the pre-facelift 200Es... the look more robust and less refined. Laughing Eh this is a car i wouldn't mind getting as my first ride leh Laughing

It'd make a good first ride. Razz

7,964 posts since Jun '05
    • all said and done though, the E34 5 series is a pretty good car too… as well built as the Merc…

9,670 posts since May '04
    392 posts since Sep '05
    • Originally posted by breytonhartge:
      Hi had a 94 E280, it was a really strong car.. well built and very very robust!

hahah my dad used to have that car... with 4 person and boot loaded with stuff that the car sink down quite alot.. The car managed to climb genting and Mt Fraiser WO over heating leh...I saw many honda civics over heating.. V power car.. Loved it alot... but had to scrap it cos more than 10 yrs le.. sad... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

7,743 posts since Mar '04
    359 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by WHATODO:
      Is this the W124 model?

yes it's the W124. supposedly built like a tank so i'm finding out if it's true.

Edited by sir_peanuts 24 Sep `07, 4:40PM
      all said and done though, the E34 5 series is a pretty good car too... as well built as the Merc...

i beg to differ, old BMWs are a pain in the ass and very much inferior in reliability compared to merc.

the first time i sat in a BMW, it was a 1992 318i, friend took it to johor. engine started leaking oil there, had a very impression of old BMWs from then on.

2,552 posts since Jul '05
    • Originally posted by sir_peanuts:
      i beg to differ, old BMWs are a pain in the ass and very much inferior in reliability compared to merc.

the first time i sat in a BMW, it was a 1992 318i, friend took it to johor. engine started leaking oil there, had a very impression of old BMWs from then on.

don say this man...later someone tot u kana brainwash... Laughing Laughing Laughing ...right???AE86TOFU Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hi had a 94 E280, it was a really strong car.. well built and very very robust!

yea man...my dads E320 had no problems....the alternator didnt fail at all....unlike beemers.... Confused everything else was all normal wear and tear....

• Originally posted by tofushop193:
      don say this man...later someone tot u kana brainwash... Laughing Laughing Laughing ...right???AE86TOFU Laughing Laughing Laughing

u are the oen who kenna brainwash by TG Lim...tts y u like merc so much that u bought a W124 E200...and from then became a staunch supporter of merc

all said and done though, the E34 5 series is a pretty good car too... as well built as the Merc...

not true...the M50 engines were notorious for overheating as their water pumps were made of plastic....my dads E34 broke down on a wedding dinner night...after that he got himself a W124 E320. no complaints from then on...if its not the M50 engine with the plastic water pump then i guess everything should be fine...and yea...E34 Horns till this day among all beemers are the Loudest....E39 horns are the wussiest Laughing Laughing Laughing

61 posts since Jun '05
    • A dealer is selling a 1 owner 93 E280. To me quite a rare car now.

Refer to today Straits Times Classified

not true...the M50 engines were notorious for overheating as their water pumps were made of plastic....my dads E34 broke down on a wedding dinner night...after that he got himself a W124 E320. no complaints from then on...if its not the M50 engine with the plastic water pump then i guess everything should be fine...and yea...E34 Horns till this day among all beemers are the Loudest....E39 horns are the wussiest Laughing Laughing Laughing

looks like the BMW stories are true then.

quite sad if the best thing about a car is its horn Laughing

Please Login or Signup to reply.