21 Apr, 05:37PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Cars

What is it all about? Help a newbie!

Subscribe to What is it all about? Help a newbie! 13 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    5,159 posts since Nov '09
    • how do i go about buying a car? or a 2nd hand car?

totally clueless about this, need lots of help and guiding around.

say, i saw a 2nd hand car with the price tag of 26.8k, does that means that i will just need to pay 26.8k and that car will be mine?

how about insurance? how does the insurance thing work?

does the price stated include everything alr?
      i see something like omv, what is it about?

for example this vios,
      http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/i...=75995&DL=1035

what is paper value?
      and is road tax something i've to pay every year? or a one time thing?

im new arh, understanding is greatly appreciated

Edited by Poignant 21 Dec `09, 1:05PM
    8,145 posts since May '00
    • First, set a budget.

Then, set a type of car you would like, eg 4 doors, 2 doors, simple, effing fast, etc

Then search for something you would like, @ sgcarmart, for example. The prices there normally is all in, except insurance. That price will not be indicative, which means you can bargain. How much lower you get the price to, see your skill liao.

If you buy from a dealer, take loan and insurance from them, chances are you can bargain the car price a bit lower. If not, they will charge you a fee. However, do not agree to pay any admin fee, processing fee. Tell them no, if they insist, walk away. Plenty of dealers for you to choose from.

If you buy from a direct seller, you need to factor in the cost of going to get your own loan and insurance, especially through a middleman. But most of the time, direct sellers do transact @ a lower price than dealers. Again though, depends on your skills.

Have fun shopping. Never rush though.

Eh.. why the fark am I helping a Pool supporter! /edit

• Originally posted by nOrmalbOi:

First, set a budget.

Then, set a type of car you would like, eg 4 doors, 2 doors, simple, effing fast, etc

Then search for something you would like, @ sgcarmart, for example. The prices there normally is all in, except insurance. That price will not be indicative, which means you can bargain. How much lower you get the price to, see your skill liao.

If you buy from a dealer, take loan and insurance from them, chances are you can bargain the car price a bit lower. If not, they will charge you a fee. However, do not agree to pay any admin fee, processing fee. Tell them no, if they insist, walk away. Plenty of dealers for you to choose from.

If you buy from a direct seller, you need to factor in the cost of going to get your own loan and insurance, especially through a middleman. But most of the time, direct sellers do transact @ a lower price than dealers. Again though, depends on your skills.

Have fun shopping. Never rush though.

Eh.. why the fark am I helping a Pool supporter! /edit

thanks for your reply

put that football rivalry aside first leh icon_lol.gif

lol.

anw, what does omv stand for?

so basically, the price stated is for almost everything alr? beside insurance?

1,723 posts since Mar '06
    • Originally posted by Poignant:

thanks for your reply

lol.

if u cant even take the initiative to do ur own research b4 posting here... dun bother...

• Originally posted by n0x:

if u cant even take the initiative to do ur own research b4 posting here... dun bother...

i did, and dont understand. that's why wishes to seek more help. ok?

i did, and dont understand. that's why wishes to seek more help. ok?

you dun understand what omv stands for... right......

how do u not understand what an acronmyn stands for...

2,252 posts since Jul '05
    • What is OMV?  

The listed OMV value is that of the first registration date of the vehicle.

OMV stands for Open Market Value. OMV is assessed by the Singapore Customs, based on the price actually paid or payable for the goods when sold for export to the country of importation. This price includes purchase price, freight, insurance and all other charges incidental to the sale and delivery of the car to Singapore.

If the vehicle is de-registered within 10 years from its first registration date, the registered owner is entitled to a percentage rebate of its OMV value from the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Effective from 1 September 2008, you may use the OMV rebate to exchange for cash at LTA. Do note that processing time is typically a few weeks.

• Originally posted by nightsky87:

What is OMV?  

The listed OMV value is that of the first registration date of the vehicle.

OMV stands for Open Market Value. OMV is assessed by the Singapore Customs, based on the price actually paid or payable for the goods when sold for export to the country of importation. This price includes purchase price, freight, insurance and all other charges incidental to the sale and delivery of the car to Singapore.

If the vehicle is de-registered within 10 years from its first registration date, the registered owner is entitled to a percentage rebate of its OMV value from the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Effective from 1 September 2008, you may use the OMV rebate to exchange for cash at LTA. Do note that processing time is typically a few weeks.

thanks alot! icon_lol.gif

i understand it now, this forum need more of ppl like you.

good day icon_biggrin.gif

thanks alot! icon_lol.gif

i understand it now, this forum need more of ppl like you.

good day icon_biggrin.gif

more of him to spoonfeed people like u???

people shld learn to be more independent man...

what he did was merely pasting something fromt he website here...

lazy then say...

8,145 posts since May '00
    • nox, come on.. take a chill pill..

I Man U fan also help the Pool fan le... how bad do u hate him? U must be Everton fan... lol

thanks for your reply

lol.

Basically, u can take all the prices listed on sgcarmart as reference. Check the site for other similar cars and similar age cars for cross referencing. Add insurance and you should have your final price. Remember to bargain though. And ask them to list every cost every damn thing, in black and white. For more info, go see MCF.

• Originally posted by nOrmalbOi:

Basically, u can take all the prices listed on sgcarmart as reference. Check the site for other similar cars and similar age cars for cross referencing. Add insurance and you should have your final price. Remember to bargain though. And ask them to list every cost every damn thing, in black and white. For more info, go see MCF.

i see.

alright, thanks dude.

2,252 posts since Jul '05
    • Originally posted by n0x:

more of him to spoonfeed people like u???

people shld learn to be more independent man...

what he did was merely pasting something fromt he website here...

lazy then say...

Yup, I got it from the sgcarmart site.. Lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Please Login or Signup to reply.