24 Jul, 07:55AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Cars

private driving instructors?

Subscribe to private driving instructors? 23 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    954 posts since Mar '01
    24 posts since Nov '02
    • Mine. But he sucks. Basically did nothing but pay him 24 bucks per hour to rent his car for a drive.

954 posts since Mar '01
    • then introduce him to me, i see what i can do. what about other people who had view this topic, got any to introduce?

21 posts since Nov '03
    • Hi, I'm new in the forum and would like to seek some advice. After reading all that message posted, i know that it is not easy to pass the driving test at 1st attempt. I strongly agree that it really depends on the instructor. Any recommendation for private instructor? who are good and charging at a resonable price? Coz i know that some instructor are not responsible.

Regards

9 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by sun19888:
      Hi, I'm new in the forum and would like to seek some advice. After reading all that message posted, i know that it is not easy to pass the driving test at 1st attempt. I strongly agree that it really depends on the instructor. Any recommendation for private instructor? who are good and charging at a resonable price? Coz i know that some instructor are not responsible.

Regards

My instructor quite good. He is friendly too... Mr Poh (96409816). Smile My sis intro me. Most her frens under him pass after 1st test too. Very Happy Can give a try. But I not sure which area he teaches. Only know he always pick me up at Queenstown and he likes to go to Ubi Centre. As for the charges, his ia $22/ hr. Cheap and goody! Laughing

6,112 posts since Feb '03
    43 posts since Mar '04
    • i’m from amk too…. although passed first time round, buti must say my private instructor sucks! pm me if u wanna know who it is… knn he even don’t want me to passed so that he can earn more(wat i feel).... come late go off early ..sibei giam… pui! short skinny man driving a nissan….

3 posts since Apr '04
    • I would like to recommend Mr. Ond HP: 96440311. He is the best instructor I found. He is my 2nd instructor because the 1st instructor si peh giam as mentioned by you all.
      Pls contact him if you need any instructor.

• I believe that is easy to pass the test if with Mr. Ong guidence! Gam Ba De Laughing

13 posts since Apr '04
    • Advantages of privite instructors :

1. Consistent teaching & know how to allocate more time on areas which you are not good at.

2. Flexible learning. Like if you feel like doing more parking today can request for it or you feel like doing more road crusing also can.

3. More personal kinda of teachings. Won't raise too high of the voice cause you are his paying master.

4. Privite learning cars are more of the newer make. Like new Corolla, Nissan Sunny, Honda City. Driving school cars... hmmm. No comments.

5. Instructor can wait for you at a convenient place & not confine to school premises only.

6. More cost effective lah...

2,009 posts since Apr '04
    • I was from BBDC.....It is statistically proven that it is much easier to pass at school then others..... I got my licence within 2mths..... one mth learning another waiting for test date..... the other time I was under system allocation.... they use to want all the students to die die take 25 lessons be4 u can book for driving test......that was ages ago though..... Wink I hear from my friends that it will take up to 4-6 mths as a private student to get a test date..... So I think sch is better in a sense.... Mr. Green .... If anyone is to take at BBDC now, it will be harder to pass compare to the past as the accident rate of BBDC student is quite high...... Crying or Very sad

5 posts since Apr '04
    • I passed at 1st attempt from BBDC. I registered with BBDC in the mid of Jan, finish all the theory lessons and basic evaluation at the end of Jan, attend BTT on 20 Feb and receive BTT results on 4 Mar, attend FTT on 29 Mar and receive FTT results on 9 Apr, start driving from end of Feb and passed evaluation around early Apr. then practical test on 4 May, passed!

1,169 posts since Jan '03
    • Originally posted by Sturtles:
      Mine. But he sucks. Basically did nothing but pay him 24 bucks per hour to rent his car for a drive.

24 bucks? i tot the market rate is $22? or has it change...

43 posts since Mar '04
    • Originally posted by Sturtles:
      Mine. But he sucks. Basically did nothing but pay him 24 bucks per hour to rent his car for a drive.

mine ossso. are u driving a small lousy nissan with rpm meter? small old man as instructor?

1 post since Jul '04
    • Hi, can anyone recommend a driving instructor in the AMK area? Based on TP website, there seems to be a lot of instructors in Bukit Batok and Ubi but few in AMK. Any idea why?

8 posts since Jul '04
    • Mr Lim -98517976 very strict and efficient instructor who will not fail to teach u all that u should know… he thought me 9hours and i passed my tp (i changed instructor) he was recommended to me by one of the ssdc instructors when i was taking bike…. driving 1.6 Lancer silver in colour

3 posts since Jul '04
    • I'm also looking for private instructors near bishan, thank you all for the useful info above Smile

910 posts since May '04
    • Originally posted by layzze:
      Advantages of privite instructors :

1. Consistent teaching & know how to allocate more time on areas which you are not good at.

2. Flexible learning. Like if you feel like doing more parking today can request for it or you feel like doing more road crusing also can.

3. More personal kinda of teachings. Won't raise too high of the voice cause you are his paying master.

4. Privite learning cars are more of the newer make. Like new Corolla, Nissan Sunny, Honda City. Driving school cars... hmmm. No comments.

5. Instructor can wait for you at a convenient place & not confine to school premises only.

6. More cost effective lah...

Hmm quite true lor...

But as for me, i fixed an inst... Coz i feel tat private inst kinda of not so responsible lor... Not so reliable de... But much more ex lor school...

REally got to weigh out the pro n cons n decide on which one u prefer lor... Coz actually i in the beginnin, i fine wif any de... But my parents insisted on school for the above re... Private sometimes their teachin really sucks de lor...

School inst, though u not directly payin them, but then any complaint against them, they also kena mah... so they also scared lor...

My inst very gd de... He really very pt, n make sure i know then he go on lor... coz i also admit i very slow learner...

Most of the time i didn't request to do tis or tat lor... I let him mak the decisions, coz i think since he is the pro, he will know better than me lor... I jus listen to him...

Coz mayb i fixed to him all the while... so he kinda of know my standard... so he also got lik allocated time for tis time for tat... He doesn strictly follow the bk where by todae u got to to this only lor...

But one main disadvantage... U cannot get to use the same car u learn usually for tests... Test cars all seperate from L plate cars de...

43 posts since Jul '04
    • Originally posted by ahkico:
      But one main disadvantage... U cannot get to use the same car u learn usually for tests... Test cars all seperate from L plate cars de...

Heh, not really! I'm also an SSDC student, just passed TP two days ago. Also had fixed instructor, fixed car. But on Mon during my revision, my usual car sent for servicing, so they allocated me car 55.

Then on my test, guess what, I got car 55! I was so happy, haha. Cos on Mon I remember telling my instructor: "Wah, this 55, the accelerator not very sensitive" and some other things, so I kinda knew what to expect when driving it during my TP. Mr. Green

Anyway, I also chose school over pte instructor cos scared the pte instructor not dedicated enough (heard too many horror stories). My fixed instructor in school was very, very good.

37 posts since Jul '04
    333 posts since Jul '04
    • It does not matter which instructor you go to.. Be it a sch instructor or private one.. The way they test it is the same.. If you fail, means u are not prepared..

Points to look out if you wanna do a comparison both on school instructors and private ones:

1) School instructors have gone through proper training in the school. Pte Instructors based on what they have learnt in the past and maybe "updated" when their students failed.

2) Sch Instructors get first hand info on changes and even tips from the TP on what they are looking out for.. But not pte instructors.

3) You get piority in booking test dates if you learn under sch, thus making passing time shorter.

It does not matter if you are taking at Ubi, SSDC or BBDC.. It is adviceable to take the test nearest to your home.. E.g. Staying at Hougang adviceable to take at Ubi.. etc.. At least u noe the road well.. Wink

43 posts since Jul '04
    • Originally posted by Kennerve:
      Points to look out if you wanna do a comparison both on school instructors and private ones:

(4) School students get a lot more practice in the circuit, thus easier to clear the circuit without any demerit points. Tester will usually have a better impression of you if you can do the circuit well, high chance to pass if no major mistakes on the road.

171 posts since Feb '04
    • Im from CDC...not fixed instructor...overall quite ok for me...just that got some politics amongst the instructors...I do get a lot of circuit practice but still not confident..driving on test routes around Ubi quite ok,just that got 2 test routes have to drive until near eunos link to make U-turn...quite intimidating cause gotta cut thru mad traffic from 3rd lane to 1st lane to turn.otherwise should be fine...waiting to take TP...

One thing about CDC is that you are allowed to book test date after module 2 evaluation...while BBDC gotta wait till module 3...will save time for you provided you clear your FTT early...For me, I could book test date after 12 lessons but becos of FTT have to wait till now...waiting time for TP is around 3 weeks

Edited by barkhide 25 Jul `04, 5:20AM
Please Login or Signup to reply.