19 Apr, 12:21PM in sunny Singapore!

SMRT given maximum fine

Subscribe to SMRT given maximum fine 15 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • QX179R's Avatar
    67,571 posts since Feb '08
    • SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has imposed the maximum fine of S$50,000 on SMRT for the Changi Depot incident on the May 17 last year.

      This came after LTA found that SMRT had breached its obligations under the Licence & Operating Agreement (LOA) where it had failed to exercise due diligence and vigilance expected of a public transport operator.

      In a statement, LTA said SMRT had not regularly inspected, continuously maintained and repaired its operating facilities.

      In May last year, two foreigners had entered the Changi Depot and sprayed grafiitti on trains.

      One of them was Swiss national Oliver Flicker who was jailed for five months and ordered to be caned three strokes.

      He has since served his jail term and been deported.

      A second suspect, a Briton, is still on the run.

      Meanwhile the Public Transport Security Committee (PTSC) which initiated a comprehensive security review of the public transport network has completed its review.

      -CNA/wk

  • Call4ljw's Avatar
    1,236 posts since May '08
  • fudgester's Avatar
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Bleah. They'll just use it as an excuse to ask for higher fares.

      SMRT should be forced to grant free rides for everyone for one full day instead.

      Edited by fudgester 15 Feb `11, 5:03PM
  • Call4ljw's Avatar
    1,236 posts since May '08
    • Originally posted by fudgester:

      Bleah. They'll just use it as an excuse to ask for higher fares.

      SMRT should be forced to grant free rides for everyone for one full day instead.

      Probably not, they have been earning alot through advertisements.

  • fudgester's Avatar
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by Call4ljw:

      Probably not, they have been earning alot through advertisements.

      I can still remember their justification for raising fares a few years ago in spite of rising profits.

      They said that since Singaporeans can afford to pay more, fare raises were justified.

      So you'll pardon me for the cynicism.

  • tiukengleng1994's Avatar
    6 posts since Feb '11
    • Originally posted by QX179R:

      SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has imposed the maximum fine of S$50,000 on SMRT for the Changi Depot incident on the May 17 last year.

      This came after LTA found that SMRT had breached its obligations under the Licence & Operating Agreement (LOA) where it had failed to exercise due diligence and vigilance expected of a public transport operator.

      In a statement, LTA said SMRT had not regularly inspected, continuously maintained and repaired its operating facilities.

      In May last year, two foreigners had entered the Changi Depot and sprayed grafiitti on trains.

      One of them was Swiss national Oliver Flicker who was jailed for five months and ordered to be caned three strokes.

      He has since served his jail term and been deported.

      A second suspect, a Briton, is still on the run.

      Meanwhile the Public Transport Security Committee (PTSC) which initiated a comprehensive security review of the public transport network has completed its review.

      -CNA/wk

      SMRT and Saw Phaik Hwa! U better learn ur lesson or else who knows wat will happen to u!

    • Originally posted by fudgester:

      I can still remember their justification for raising fares a few years ago in spite of rising profits.

      They said that since Singaporeans can afford to pay more, fare raises were justified.

      So you'll pardon me for the cynicism.

      They just wanna increase their profit margin to record heights despite $$$ earned from advertistments, the various Xchanges and govt assistance.

  • Rock^Star's Avatar
    11,142 posts since Jul '05
  • Call4ljw's Avatar
    1,236 posts since May '08
  • joeyfjj's Avatar
    1,950 posts since Sep '09
    • Originally posted by Call4ljw:

      The fine is just money from SMRT to LTA...money still within the government.

      SMRT is a commercial company that runs a state-owned railway. It is not to be considered as being part of the government. 

    • Originally posted by tiukengleng1994:

      They just wanna increase their profit margin to record heights despite $$$ earned from advertistments, the various Xchanges and govt assistance.

      I find that reasonable. Which company dosn't want to increase its profit margins? 

  • tiukengleng1994's Avatar
    6 posts since Feb '11
    • Originally posted by joeyfjj:

      I find that reasonable. Which company dosn't want to increase its profit margins? 

      True, but the justification for increasing fares has to be properly explained, otherwise ppl will get pissed at the mere mention of increasing their profit margins and nothing else (like rising cost of electricity, etc?).

  • i_luv_erky's Avatar
    497 posts since Jun '07
  • langer68's Avatar
    288 posts since Sep '10
Please Login or Signup to reply.