25 Apr, 06:14PM in sunny Singapore!

Singapore Day in Manhattan?

Subscribe to Singapore Day in Manhattan? 41 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    94 posts since Feb '07
    • https://www.singaporeday.sg/

Hrm...not that I would go but why this and why only East Coast?

Apparently they fly in chefs from Singapore for the dishes.

34,548 posts since Aug '05

• probably cos this thing is not really for singaporeans, but potential tourists ? ... Laughing

neways looks like Xfrdog will be there ... let's see if he'll give a pictorial report here .... Very Happy

9,973 posts since Feb '05
    • From the website:

The first-ever Singapore Day will be held in New York City’s Wollman Rink in Central Park on April 21st,2007 and promises to provide an intimate opportunity for Overseas Singaporeans to experience the most exciting new developments in Singapore, meet and network with fellow Singaporeans, and enjoy their favorite Singaporean food topped off with performers and entertainers from Singapore.

The inaugural Singapore Day is a one-day event and is expected to bring together over 1,000 Singaporeans living in and around New York City and from neighboring cities and states like Boston, Washington DC, New Jersey and Pennsylvania to attend.

I don't get it.

On the one hand, the Singapore gabrahment labels Singaporeans who have left the country for good as "quitters." On the other, it's putting on events like this Singapore Day to keep overseas Singaporeans informed of developments on the island.

What gives?

46,920 posts since Feb '03
    • i heard there will be singapore food leh...

the chwee kueh seller at bedok has been invited to make and sell chwee kueh there leh...and fried hokkien mee..

authentic singapore food leh

hmm...what shd i eat later Mr. Green

• for u guys overseas...

wanton mee in singapore

Twisted Evil

23,405 posts since Feb '06
    11,451 posts since May '04
    • To make it authentic, it needs someone dishing out authoritarian-dictatorship type of rule to everyone

35,169 posts since Apr '03
    • Originally posted by mistyblue:
      To make it authentic, it needs someone dishing out authoritarian-dictatorship type of rule to everyone

"I said so many times! Got ter kwa means got ter kwa, either you eat or you don't eat" Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

• Originally posted by LazerLordz:
      "I said so many times! Got ter kwa means got ter kwa, either you eat or you don't eat" Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

• Originally posted by Meia Gisborn:
      From the website:

The first-ever Singapore Day will be held in New York City’s Wollman Rink in Central Park on April 21st,2007 and promises to provide an intimate opportunity for Overseas Singaporeans to experience the most exciting new developments in Singapore, meet and network with fellow Singaporeans, and enjoy their favorite Singaporean food topped off with performers and entertainers from Singapore.

The inaugural Singapore Day is a one-day event and is expected to bring together over 1,000 Singaporeans living in and around New York City and from neighboring cities and states like Boston, Washington DC, New Jersey and Pennsylvania to attend.

I don't get it.

On the one hand, the Singapore gabrahment labels Singaporeans who have left the country for good as "quitters." On the other, it's putting on events like this Singapore Day to keep overseas Singaporeans informed of developments on the island.

What gives?

quitters doesn't always have negative connotations nowadays .... especially when the "quitters" in question are the sons and dotters of "elites" .... Laughing

okay, nevermind ... my bad ... let's not politicize SO shall we ... there's already one speaker's corner ... Laughing

6,785 posts since Sep '06
    • Originally posted by Mospeada:
      for u guys overseas...

wanton mee in singapore

Twisted Evil

Ha ha... we can get that from Singapore Chomp Chomp here in Melbourne. Infact that's exactly what our Missy Rhonda had yesterday when we met up for lunch..... Laughing Laughing

Edited by honeymouse 18 Apr `07, 1:33PM
    • Originally posted by honeymouse:
      Ha ha... we can get that from Singapore Chomp Chomp here in Melbourne. Infact that's exactly what our Missy Rhonday had yesterday when we met up for lunch..... Laughing Laughing

is the wanton as big?

7,293 posts since Jan '07
      Shocked

i want...i want

Ha ha Laughing Laughing

Anyway, you have nothing to miss out since you still have a nicer food in Singapore that we can't get in Melbourne. Even if we can get it here, it can be expensive.

The wonton mee Rhonda had yesterday cost A$7.80 as compared to only $2 - $3 in Singapore. Wink

• asia food in western countries is always super sized to ang moh appetites ....

even fast food too .... a full sized whooper in singapore is a junior whooper here ....

(the frightening thing is that my normal order is now at least TWO junior whoopers eat time .... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed )

• Originally posted by Fatum:
      asia food in western countries is always super sized to ang moh appetites ....

even fast food too .... a full sized whooper in singapore is a junior whooper here ....

(the frightening thing is that my normal order is now at least TWO junior whoopers eat time .... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed )

Not the Wonton mee though. Look about the same size you get in Singapore.

But I must admit my appetite has grown too since I came to Oz. I remember at the start of the first year in Oz, a friend took me out for lunch and I ordered a plate of roast duck + soy sauce chicken rice. The portion was so big that I couldn't finish it. But by the end of the year, I had no problem finishing it when we had the same thing!!! Embarassed Embarassed

probably cos this thing is not really for singaporeans, but potential tourists ? ... Laughing

Hmm... that was my initial thought, but the website specifically mentions that this event is targetted at 'Overseas Singaporeans.'

The cynic in me feels that this event is nothing more than a 'pre-emptive strike' by the government to convince Singaporeans studying overseas to return home after graduating. Very Happy

for u guys overseas...

wanton mee in singapore

Twisted Evil

WHERE'S THE KETCHUP? Won Ton Mee isn't authentic without ketchup!!!

Laughing

WHERE'S THE KETCHUP? Won Ton Mee isn't authentic without ketchup!!!

Laughing

authentic wanton mee bo ketchup one lah

Hmm... that was my initial thought, but the website specifically mentions that this event is targetted at 'Overseas Singaporeans.'

The cynic in me feels that this event is nothing more than a 'pre-emptive strike' by the government to convince Singaporeans studying overseas to return home after graduating. Very Happy

then I say they'd have to do a better job than that .... especially New York of all places (caps, italics and color deliberate Laughing ) ... a nibble of kway png and char kway teow is not going to sway many hearts .... especially when they are living in the center of the world ... Laughing

• just read the Singapore Day article on ST online ....

I wonder what Xfrdog has to say ... Laughing

94 posts since Feb '07
    • Perhaps to lure them back? Laughing

But Fatum has a valid point about introducing the food/culture to the non-Singaporeans.

Originally posted by Meia Gisborn:
      From the website:

I don't get it.

What gives?
      Edited by VSE 27 Apr `07, 12:38AM
    72 posts since Oct '04
      just read the Singapore Day article on ST online ....

I wonder what Xfrdog has to say ... Laughing

It was crazy. First there was a long line just to get in the door. You must be pre-registered and bring a copy of your email confirmation. They check that at the door. Then, in typical kiasu fashion, you go to the registration booth where they have a laptop to verify your registration. So none of that make 6 copies of the email and pass to your friends business.

Got in early and already lines were long for food. Part of the problem, I think, was that the food was being prepared as they were being served and they couldn't keep pace with the crowd, so as more people came in, they got backed up. Got some murtabak and gave some to my son and he started to cry that his mouth was burning. Laughing He not fully trained yet. So we went and got Killiney kaya toast and some Yeo's drinks. And not all the stalls opened at the same time; some only opened at 1pm. Of course kiasu people were lining up at 1215 already. And they were ang mos some more. My son kept saying he was hungry and lines were taking about 30 minutes or more to get to the front. And when you get the food it's a few small pieces.

So we decided to leave and go get some food. We had to get back to the airport to catch our flight home. I didn't want to fly 6 hrs with a hungry kid. On the way out, we saw Anthony Bourdain coming in and I not pai seh, asked him to take photo with us. Even with my 3 year old on my shoulders, he was still taller.

So overall, I felt the organizers, in Bush's words, "misunderestimated" the response. With lines snaking all around the rink, there was little room to move, and even less to stand around and relax. Most people were eating while in line at the next stall. Too bad I missed the performances. In retrospect, if I had known I would be flying 12 hours for 2 plates of food, I wouldn't have done it. But it was a nice day in NY and I got to spend some time with my son. Maybe if they charged for food, it might have been better. Run it like a county fair perhaps.

Edited by Xfr8dog 25 Apr `07, 1:04AM
Please Login or Signup to reply.