25 Apr, 06:14PM in sunny Singapore!

Trip to New York City - 2011

Subscribe to Trip to New York City - 2011 10 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    20,684 posts since Apr '05
    • erm, i've been to nyc about like what 4 or 5 times but always with our chinese tour operators here.  efficient and value for money.....about C$200 per person on double occupancy including coach ride and 2 nites hotel.  but me sisters dun wanna sit till ka chng tia 'cos it's about 13 hours ride.  the coach makes a toilet break every 2 hours and then some places of interest along the way, e.g. corning factory.  but i can't convince them. cry.png

so, okay, we gonna do free and easy.  the airfare alone is C$500!!!!  @#$%^&  so, question is, where should we stay eh?  is mid manhattan a good location?  any value for dollar hotel to recommend?  (call a friend phone.png)   thanks thanks ah. wink.png

72 posts since Oct '04
    • Try hotels.com. I managed to find a hotel near Times Square for a little over USD100.

The airfare is expensive. Is that out of Pearson? Did you check Porter? They fly out of the downtown airport to Newark.

• oh wow....a rare appearance from you, xfr8dog!!!!  you MIA nong nong time liao lo.  trust all is well with you.   wink.png  ah....thanks for the tip.  i will surely check them out.  funny thing when i was watching anderson 360 last nite, this webby ad came on our cnn channel.  oh wow....a little over USD100????  that's a steal.  those that i have looked mostly about USD200-300 a nite. cry.png

aiyah....this canada got so many tax and surcharge de.  C$500 is just being conservative ah.  and what?  for under 2 hours flying izzit?  yah, that fare is out of pearson.  porter ah?  i didn't check 'cos they fly out of toronto island.  pai seh to say, lived here so long neber been to toronto island.  icon_redface.gif  hmm....the planes used by porter okay not?  besides, easier for me to go to pearson.

oh, but if they land in newark, that's like over an hour's drive to mid manhatten?  i am checking flights to la guardia leh.  cheapest i found so far is AA.  a lot of my friends are driving to niagara international and then catching their flights to US.  heard it will save them at least a couple of hundreds.  but i am not going to drive to NiA ah.  dun know where it is also.  i know some even fly out of buffalo.  all because they want to beat the canadian taxes.  haiz.....  that, thanks very much, really.  much appreciated. thumbs_up.png

Edited by littlestream 01 Apr `11, 2:07AM
    470 posts since Aug '08
    • woah...C$300 can buy a few coach/kate spade bags hor?! :P

manhattan hotels mad expensive lor.....you can check out Holiday Inn Express at Madison Sq? Location pretty decent near metro/train/bus stations...empire state bldg/times sq etc. not that expensive but still could be in the USD200+ range.

or try those name-your-own-price sites if you don't mind not being able to choose your hotel? i.e. priceline etc.

another alternative is to stay out of manhattan in new jersey or something. you can get 5star hotels there at pretty reasonable prices. just need to find one that's near the metro station.

11,930 posts since Jan '06
    • Work your magic and keep trying to convince your sisters that bussing it is the best way to go?

• i wish i have that magic.  i am going to try to convince them when they are here.  i mean, seriously under C$200 for coach and hotel.  how to beat that? 3D/2N leh.  i love our chinese tour operators.  so cheap and friendly.  i've been on numerous side trips with them and they were all good!!! thumbs_up.png  thanks, jetta.  i'll try.  that website for hotels that xdog suggested?  it's good.  prices agree with my pocketbook. icon_mrgreen.gif

1,831 posts since Nov '04
    • thanks, ben.... thumbs_up.png  oh, u did eh?  flew out of buffalo?  yeah, i heard and know it is really cheap flying out of buffalo but i doubt i will do that.  my first choice is still to go with the tour operators.  we'll see.  and thanks for the link.  i will definitely check it out.  are u back in TO? shade.png

291 posts since Sep '06
    • you can take amtrak or nj transit from new wark to penn station. amtrak will cost you 20 bucks or so, nj transit less than 15.

i stayed at the sheraton, it wasnt too bad. walking distance to time square, moma...

• thanks lovegoddes.  i am going to try (again) to convince them to take the coach tour. icon_razz.gif  for now, eagerly awaiting their arrival. shade.png

Please Login or Signup to reply.