23 Jun, 02:23AM in sunny Singapore!

Entering SIN using an expired SG passport

Subscribe to Entering SIN using an expired SG passport 18 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • PokGai's Avatar
    5 posts since Nov '13
    • My family member is a citizen of SG by birth and of the UK by naturalisation. SG authorities do not know of this naturalisation and it is not allowed by them.

      The person’s SG passport has expired 3 months ago and they are due to fly tomorrow. Can the person board the flight using their valid UK passport, hide it, and present their expired SG passport to immigration official in SIN? Will the expired passport suffice granting entry? They will also be in possession of their pink IC.

  • Summer hill's Avatar
    6,640 posts since Dec '11
    • If you use your British passport to travel, you will lose your Singapore citizenship. I remember reading about this in a law book. 

      I am not too sure about expired passports. 

  • SJS6638's Avatar
    5,614 posts since Nov '11
    • IF you are required to give up one passport, give up Singapore passport.    Its value drops so no point keeping it.

  • PokGai's Avatar
    5 posts since Nov '13
    • The British passport will not be used to enter Singapore.

      I am eager to learn how ICA officials deal with persons presenting at the Singapore border with a recently expired Singapore passport and a valid pink Singapore IC.

  • Summer hill's Avatar
    6,640 posts since Dec '11
  • SJS6638's Avatar
    5,614 posts since Nov '11
    • TS very funny need the answer so soon and don't go direct to the authority to ask, waste time here.

      Funny!    Wait to be detained in Singapore is it?

  • PokGai's Avatar
    5 posts since Nov '13
    • The SG embassy in London’s solution is not an option. They are able to to issue an emergency travel document for entry to Singapore only, but issuance is subject to submission of travel itinerary, which would show that Singapore is not the first destination (entry would be on the UK passport, which they cannot know about).

      I am calling ICA in Changi airport regularly, on 6 numbers advertised on their website, but not one of them is picking up, hence my asking the question here. There is no need to reply if you have nothing of value to add, or are unable to understand the situation described.

  • Summer hill's Avatar
    6,640 posts since Dec '11
    • Originally posted by PokGai:

      The SG embassy in London’s solution is not an option. They are able to to issue an emergency travel document for entry to Singapore only, but issuance is subject to submission of travel itinerary, which would show that Singapore is not the first destination (entry would be on the UK passport, which they cannot know about).

      I am calling ICA in Changi airport regularly, on 6 numbers advertised on their website, but not one of them is picking up, hence my asking the question here. There is no need to reply if you have nothing of value to add, or are unable to understand the situation described.

      do you still want Singapore citizenship? read this. 

  • PokGai's Avatar
    5 posts since Nov '13
    • Originally posted by Summer hill:

      do you still want Singapore citizenship? read this. 


      I'm sure your intentions are helpful, but this is irrelavent to my question.

  • Summer hill's Avatar
    6,640 posts since Dec '11
    • Originally posted by PokGai:


      I'm sure your intentions are helpful, but this is irrelavent to my question.

      Sorry, I am unable to help you. But I think you will get detain.  

  • PokGai's Avatar
    5 posts since Nov '13
    • Originally posted by Summer hill:

      Sorry, I am unable to help you. But I think you will get detain.  


      For having an expired passport? I don't believe it's "detainable". Hopefully someone with direct or indirect relevant experience will come on and clarify. Thank you for your interest.

  • jlowbog's Avatar
    150 posts since Jan '13
    • i presume u didnt call the ica coz u dont 1 2 arouse their attention.

      if u use the expired pp...ica will investigate with the uk side as on how did u managed to reach sgp with tis expired pp...if ica found out the truth...u will be charged with falsification with an intented motive to deceive...maybe 5 yrs curry rice.

  • SJS6638's Avatar
    5,614 posts since Nov '11
    • Whatever, if they let you leave sg, good for you.

      If you are not allowed to leave because of the expired passport then I suppose the negative will take place.

      Why did you not renew passport before leaving tomorrow?

    • fishy fishy

  • Moderator
    Meia Gisborn's Avatar
    9,973 posts since Feb '05
    • Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but... if your family member is a naturalized UK citizen and holds a valid UK passport, why not just travel to and from Singapore using the UK passport, and not even bring the expired Singapore passport into the picture? I highly doubt the ICA immigration officer at Changi Airport is going to cross-reference the name in the UK passport against a list of all Singaporeans with expired Singapore passports.

  • lce's Avatar
    2,460 posts since Jun '11
  • sacredspirits's Avatar
    586 posts since Feb '05
    • I agree with MG…. use the UK passport to go in and out of Singapore if you are already too late to renew the Singapore passport in UK… else, you will risk having problems when you enter Singapore… (questions might be asked and checks might be done)..... your family member can only stay for maximum 30days in Singapore with UK passport…. Maybe when he/she returns from UK, try renew Singapore passport in UK ambassy then… to be honest, he/she is taking a risk wanting to keep both passports knowing that Singapore forbids it… so will just have to accept any consequences if he/she still wants to take this risk….

      Ice, for minors, they can have dual citizenship till age 21 if I am not wrong… but of cos, for men, they will need to return Singapore to do their NS when they are 18 years old and still holding on to Singapore passport….

  • TehJarVu's Avatar
    116,462 posts since Dec '03
    • Originally posted by Meia Gisborn:

      Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but... if your family member is a naturalized UK citizen and holds a valid UK passport, why not just travel to and from Singapore using the UK passport, and not even bring the expired Singapore passport into the picture? I highly doubt the ICA immigration officer at Changi Airport is going to cross-reference the name in the UK passport against a list of all Singaporeans with expired Singapore passports.

      there will be a record at the customs.
      can easily trace date, history if any discrepencies happen.
      eg. he's probably back for some personal admin that will require the presentation of the pink ic

      then how on earth did this person popped up?

Please Login or Signup to reply.