29 Jul, 04:29AM in sunny Singapore!

Need help on studying for 'o' levels

Subscribe to Need help on studying for 'o' levels 19 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    89 posts since Jun '06
    • Hi all , im taking my 'o' levels this yr and im having a few problems with my sciences...im taking pure biology and comb phy/chem.Need some help here.

Anyone got any effective ways to study bio?not only do i have to focus on this yr's topics , i also have to revise back my sec 3 topics(cos last yr nv pay attention) , so is there like any way for me to study and truely understand?

I have the same prob with phy and chem too...

Can anyone also recommend me any assessments books or TYS which helps?And those ''motivational'' books to motivate me to study and plan my time well..so main thing is is there anything that could help me to do better in my subjects esp these scis.

Or does anyone have good tuition to recommend?I prefer 1 to 1 tuitions.

Thanks.

16,097 posts since Dec '06
    8,410 posts since Aug '06
    • get tuition.

all 3.

ASAP.

if 1-to-1 and ur family can afford, then go for it.

if not go to small classes.

ask QUESTIONS, dun be shy or asking stupid questions, just ask.

get everything cleared up, and note them down.

i started my combi science tution late, but managed to understand all in time, my bio was gg-ed.

89 posts since Jun '06
    • Originally posted by popikachu:
      the best help can be in your teachers...
      Wink

yes , but i can't stay back everytime and they too , can't stay back everytime , cos i also need help on my sec 3 probs , which is why i need more help other than sch teachers,thanks anyway Smile

• Originally posted by Y_Shun:
      get tuition.

all 3.

ASAP.

if 1-to-1 and ur family can afford, then go for it.

if not go to small classes.

ask QUESTIONS, dun be shy or asking stupid questions, just ask.

get everything cleared up, and note them down.

i started my combi science tution late, but managed to understand all in time, my bio was gg-ed.

Can i know where u have ur tuition?and is it 1 to 1?i don't really like group tuitions cos its hard to concentrate and if the teacher can't really focus on you..trying to find tuition for comb sci , but main thing is bio , bio now really gg , thought of dropping but don't dare try , haha ..

3,121 posts since Oct '06
    • Originally posted by SIMpLiFy:
      Hi all , im taking my 'o' levels this yr and im having a few problems with my sciences...im taking pure biology and comb phy/chem.Need some help here.

Anyone got any effective ways to study bio?not only do i have to focus on this yr's topics , i also have to revise back my sec 3 topics(cos last yr nv pay attention) , so is there like any way for me to study and truely understand?

I have the same prob with phy and chem too...

Can anyone also recommend me any assessments books or TYS which helps?And those ''motivational'' books to motivate me to study and plan my time well..so main thing is is there anything that could help me to do better in my subjects esp these scis.

Or does anyone have good tuition to recommend?I prefer 1 to 1 tuitions.

Thanks.

dont read textbook first, do tys. any concept dunno, refer to textbook or teacher. what teachers teach very important, listen. and ask alot of questions if you dont know.

23,199 posts since Aug '01
    • can also get redspot tys, then read through all the solutions

get a normal tys, do ALL the MCQs for understanding of concepts

For quick answers to certain questions, instead of looking thru your textbook, use google.

40,748 posts since Apr '06
    • Originally posted by gunner77:
      attend adam khoo workshop(for motivation) Very Happy
      trust me, it helps Wink

waste $$

how long can the motivation go?

40,748 posts since Apr '06
    • Originally posted by SIMpLiFy:
      Can i know where u have ur tuition?and is it 1 to 1?i don't really like group tuitions cos its hard to concentrate and if the teacher can't really focus on you..trying to find tuition for comb sci , but main thing is bio , bio now really gg , thought of dropping but don't dare try , haha ..

where are u living? mine was in hougang

my grp tuition was around 5-7, but teacher always ask us whether have questions or not....and oso pump us practices...do liao, dunnoe, ask...

some teachers are good, they even spend extra time[FREE] with u if he/she not busy

some just $$ face

483 posts since Dec '06
    • was taking combined science in my secondary school.

phys was always about b3 to b4 grade, and chem is always at f9 grades.

2 months, i whack my chem tys.

o level a1.

o level combined science is really not difficult to score if u whack that tys hard enough.

38,115 posts since Jun '05
    • For me I feel that there are 4 parts to study:

-MCQ
      -Structured Question
      -Structured Essay
      -Practical/SPA

And each way of studying is different.

MCQ
      For MCQ, try exposing yourself to the maximum possibilities of questions which will come out in exam. Try out different TYS or assignment book. Do and do until you understand and get correct for each and every question.

Time management is also very important! One must reach a level when he sees the question at first sight, and the next moment answer is pop up in the mind. This will save precious time in the exam and allow you to double/triple check.

Structured Question
      Read the question carefully. Try to recall if you have seen any of the question in TYS or during your revision. Do they look familiar? Seriously speaking, Cambridge have run out of ideas already. Those questions you see in your O exam are probably taken from past year. Their creativity juice has run out.

It's best to read and understand the content of your text book and make note for it. Have you heard of the 80/20 Rule? It states that out of the whole chunk of information you have, 80% are non content words, while the another 20% is the information that you really need. If you were to make note, you'll save A LOT of time on your later revision.

Keep doing the Past Year Papers, Prelim papers, Mid Year Paper and TYS. Where there is a source of question, just do it. Expose yourself to more question, and it will really help you in exam.

Do the easier question first. Then revisit back the question again and ponder for an answer. Wink

Structured Essay
      This is the part where you need to memorize a lot of essay. At what I have said, Make Key-Point Notes! Key-Point Notes are those notes with just the key point of the content. Then in your mind, link these points together to show it's relevancy.

No doubt you'll have to memorize quite a lot for this part. Be glad, There's only a few essay to study per chapter.

Well, it all boils down to your understand. After memorizing, you should be able to tell if you can understand the content or not.

Practical/SPA
      Probably the lab are closed now for preparation. Revise the notes your teacher gave you. Also read up your textbook for more information. Remember Biology practical is one of the most easier component out of the four.

You must be able to do tests. Like Food Test which consist of four test. You MUST follow the instructions . If you missed any steps or do anything wrongly, the overall result will be different. Usually this will apply to Plants, where they'll ask you to do something to it.

Drawing. Try practice drawing all the fruits LS and TS. You must know where is the line of axis(growth direction). You'll be also required to draw things which you'll never draw before. Weird stuff can range from ginger to longgag, from chilli to mangosteen. Aww.. Drawing will be an unfair advantage to art students Laughing

Your drawing lines must be clear and concise. No shading! Don't add 3-D effects Laughing

• If you need help with your schoolwork, you can post here. Our moderators and the forumers will help you. Wink

• If you need some "Motivational book", I personally recommend

CLICK FOR BIGGER PICTURE

5 posts since Feb '08
    128 posts since Aug '07
    • the best one is follow the syllabus outline. download one from SEAB website.

Make sure that you know everything that is stated in syllabus outline.

The remaining questions are usually application question. but then, if you know the syllabus outline and know the keywords they expect you to have in your answer, you definitely can score.

So I suggest you to print out those Syllabus outlines from SEAB websites and work closely with your teachers. tuition teachers may not know all those important keywords.

68 posts since Jul '07
    • wack TYS is good, but a bad point is, when you are unsure, you should ALWAYS ask your teacher.

Sometimes TYS answers are like wrong one, so don't blindly follow.
      I believe its still good to have teachers going through the MCQ questions etc.
      A safer way.

Edited by Y_Shun 02 Feb `08, 9:56PM
Please Login or Signup to reply.