19 Feb, 02:22AM in sunny Singapore!

oxidation of C=C

Subscribe to oxidation of C=C 8 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    182 posts since Jul '11
    • the oxidation of alkene by hot KMnO4 gives different products depending upon the groups joined to C=C bonds. ethene gives methanal followed by methanoic acid then finally CO2 and H2O.

What would the products in the following cases.

(i) CH2=C=CH2

(ii)  benzene ring joined with 4-memebered carbon (-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2) or 3-memembered ring( alicyclic) 

H2 Chemistry @ BedokFunland JC (near VJC & TJC)
    14,730 posts since May '05
    • Originally posted by hoay:

the oxidation of alkene by hot KMnO4 gives different products depending upon the groups joined to C=C bonds. ethene gives methanal followed by methanoic acid then finally CO2 and H2O.

What would the products in the following cases.

(i) CH2=C=CH2

(ii)  benzene ring joined with 4-memebered carbon (-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2) or 3-memembered ring( alicyclic) 

With prolonged heating with conc. KMnO4/H+, the final products are

i) CO2 (3 moles of)

ii) benzoic acid or phthalic acid respectively

182 posts since Jul '11
    • https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=cyclohexane+joined+to+benzene&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGh8S6hoDZAhUQKewKHZFOCDsQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=579#imgrc=uVxVENorm2isDM::

I am talking about the last compound in the picture ,,,,,,,,,,benzene joined to CYCLOBUTANE ring .............Will it produce the same benzoic acid on oxidation??

182 posts since Jul '11
    • https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=cyclohexane+joined+to+benzene&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGh8S6hoDZAhUQKewKHZFOCDsQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=579#imgrc=uVxVENorm2isDM::

I am talking about the last compound in the picture ,,,,,,,,,,benzene joined to CYCLOBUTANE ring .............Will it produce the same benzoic acid on oxidation??

https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=cyclohexane+joined+to+benzene&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGh8S6hoDZAhUQKewKHZFOCDsQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=579#imgrc=uVxVENorm2isDM::

It will produce phthalic acid.

182 posts since Jul '11
    • thank you.

one more oxidation query....

In Iodoform test  If an organic compound conatin both the groups then what would be the product of this reaction. such as in CH3-CO-CH(OH)CH3.

thank you.

one more oxidation query....

In Iodoform test  If an organic compound conatin both the groups then what would be the product of this reaction. such as in CH3-CO-CH(OH)CH3.

No prob.

Ethanedioate ion and (2 mol of) triiodomethane.

182 posts since Jul '11
Please Login or Signup to reply.