• PREMIER LEAGUE 2011

VS         

Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur

Monday, 22 August 2011

Time: 3:00 am  -  (Live) 

Mio Channel 110 / 102 in HD

EPL Game 02

Manchester United :  

De Gea, Smalling, Evans, Jones, Fabio, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Park, Carrick, Berbatov, Young, Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley, Valencia, Gibson, Rooney, Welbeck, Owen, Macheda, Diouf, Lindegaard.

Out - Ferdinand, Rafael, Vidic, Hernandez  

• Tottenham add Real quality as Redknapp closes in on Diarra... and Adebayor's next

Read quality: Lassana Diarra and Emmanuel Adebayor are close to joining Tottenham

Read quality: Lassana Diarra and Emmanuel Adebayor are close to joining Tottenham

Read quality: Lassana Diarra and Emmanuel Adebayor are close to joining Spurs

Tottenham are close to completing the signing of Lassana Diarra from Real Madrid.

Harry Redknapp revealed earlier this week that Diarra remained in his sights, confirming that talks had taken place between his chairman, Daniel Levy, and officials at the Spanish club.

Sportsmail understands that those talks have almost been completed, with Redknapp hoping that the 26-year-old France midfielder he worked with at Portsmouth will be training with Tottenham within days.  

I like him,’ said Redknapp. ‘The chairman’s been trying to do something there.’

Tottenham would not reveal the exact details of the deal last night, probably because Levy needs to find a way of meeting the wage demands of Diarra, who currently earns more than £100,000 a week.

A loan is possible, although there has also been talk of Tottenham paying around £14million for a player who moved for the best part of £20m when he left Portsmouth for Madrid in 2009.

Diarra is keen to move on though. He has made 68 La Liga appearances in two seasons with the Spanish giants but he has not been considered first choice since Jose Mourinho became manager last summer and brought in Germany international Sami Khedira.

Hands up if you want to join us: Harry Redknapp is yet to make a move in the transfer market

Hands up if you want to join us: Harry Redknapp is yet to make a move in the transfer market

If Diarra does now complete the move to Spurs, Redknapp could soon have three former Arsenal players in his side. Central defender William Gallas is already at White Hart Lane and striker Emmanuel Adebayor is expected to join on loan from Manchester City.

But the presence of Diarra would raise more questions about the future of Luka Modric, as Chelsea prepare to make an improved bid.

The players have different qualities - Diarra is far more defensive than Modric - but Redknapp would still be adding some real quality to his midfield and it would test Levy’s resolve to keep hold of the Croat.

• Will they make it in time to play against United...

Let's hope not...

• Bale: Spurs will test De Gea and the whole United team

david-de-gea-manchester-united-cropped

David De Gea, with a reputation to concede from outside the box will be targeted by a Tottenham team ready to shoot on sight tomorrow night.

Known Spurs players that can shoot from distance are...

Huddlestone, Pavlyuchenko, Kranjcar, Bentley, Modric, Defoe, Van der Vaart

David De Gea, Manchester United’s embattled goalkeeper, will be targeted by a Tottenham team ready to shoot on sight tomorrow night.

Sir Alex Ferguson will stand by De Gea, insisting: “He’ll get the protection he needs at home.”

But the visitors are aware that United’s new ­£18.3million goalie will be shell-shocked after conceding soft goals in the Community Shield at Wembley and last weekend’s Premier League opener at West Brom.

The fact that United won both games has partially ­papered over the De Gea cracks. But Spurs will be ­aiming to exploit any sign of nerves from the 20-year-old Spaniard.

Spurs midfielder ­Gareth Bale said: “It’s obviously going to be nerve-racking for him to go to United and be in the first team, but he showed at Atletico Madrid and with Spain that he’s a world-class keeper.

“If any keeper’s having a bad time, you’re going to test them and it’s going to be no different. We’re going to go to Old Trafford and give our all and test their whole team.”

After the soft goal, West Brom followed up with a second-half physical ­assault that had Ferguson and the United players fuming.

But Ferguson is adamant he has no qualms about keeping his summer signing in the ­firing line against a side ­intent on exploiting any fears or uncertainties.

The United boss is ­confident De Gea can come through the ordeal, just as his greatest keeper, Peter Schmeichel, did after a mauling at ­Wimbledon.

Ferguson said: “David will be fine. He just didn’t get the protection from the challenges. He had an elbow in the face, the boy went under him – it was bad.

“It’s disappointing not ­getting the protection. But he’s at home on Monday, so we won’t have a problem. It’s just away from home he might be subjected to things like that.”

Fergie added: “Schmeichel did have the same baptism of fire.

“At Wimbledon, he was squealing like a pig for ­protection. They were ­battering lumps out of him.

“But David’s still young and remember Edwin van der Sar was a tall skinny kid when he won his first European Cup.”

Ashley Young’s acclimatisation with the champions has been more assured. He played a part in both goals in the 2-1 win at Albion to ­underline his potential for United.

“He’s settled in quickly, some don’t,” Ferguson said. “It’s not fazed him coming here. He got the maturity last season, so it was a good time to buy him.”

While United face all their title challengers in the early weeks, Fergie contends neighbours City have a significantly less demanding programme.

He said: “For some reason, City have come out at the right side of the easier games. All the other top teams have really tough games against each other.

“If we get through this spell in a good position, we can kick on and be positive.”

13,146 posts since Aug '09
    • Evra battle in out with Lennon, nice to watch. I am not sure if Fabio or Smalling or Jones will play at RB, so whoever gets it, will have to shackle Bale on the left.I am sure fergie will ask Nani or Valencia to protect the RB, or assigned Park to do that role.

I hope De Gea will not made any mistakes. if he continue to make mistakes, then united will have to outscore spurs to win. I am sure spurs defence cannot stop united from scoring, with Rooney helming the attack and Young on the left.

25,008 posts since Sep '05
    • Squad sheets: Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur

The loss of two experienced centre-backs would be a blow to most clubs but the absence through injury of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand should provide a good opportunity for Phil Jones, Manchester United's summer signing from Blackburn. Despite the challenge ahead, Tottenham will at least feel rested after a 5-0 amble against Hearts in the Europa League on Thursday. It remains to be seen whether Luka Modric, if fit after injury, will take part, considering the speculation about a possible move to Chelsea.

Venue Old Trafford, Monday 3am

Tickets Sold out

Last season Manchester Utd 2 Tottenham 0

Referee Lee Probert

This season's matches n/a

Odds Manchester Utd 4-6 Tottenham 5-1 Draw 3-1

Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur 

Manchester United

Subs from Kuszczak, Lindegaard, Cleverley, Fábio, Gibson, Park, Giggs, Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf, Hernández

Doubtful Hernández (concussion), Evra (knee)

Injured Ferdinand (hamstring, 28 Aug), Fletcher (match fitness, 28 Aug), Owen (back, 28 Aug), Valencia (ankle, 28 Aug), Vidic (calf, 24 Sep), Rafael (shoulder, Oct)

Suspended None

Form guide W

Disciplinary record Y2 R0

Leading scorer Rooney 1

Tottenham

Subs from Cudicini, Friedel, Walker, Bassong, Bentley, Livermore, Townsend, Kranjcar, King, Pavlyuchenko, Crouch

Doubtful Crouch (ankle), King (knee), Huddlestone (ankle), Modric (thigh)

Injured Hutton (knee, 10 Sep), Rose (ankle, 10 Sep), Jenas (achilles, 10 Sep), Palacios (knee, 18 Sep), Pienaar (groin, 18 Sep), Gallas (calf, Oct), Sandro (knee, Oct)

Suspended None

Form guide n/a

Disciplinary record n/a

Leading scorer n/a

Match pointers

• United are unbeaten in their last 20 Premier League meetings with Tottenham, winning 15 of them 

• Tottenham's last league win at Old Trafford came in December 1989, when Gary Lineker scored the only goal of the game 

• United managed just one shot on target at West Bromwich but still won 2-1 courtesy of an own goal

De Gea have to watch out for this... But I think Harry will start with Crouch...

Jermain Defoe got all four of last season's top-flight goals from outside the box 

• United picked up 55 points from a possible 57 at home in the 2010-11 season

Edited by zocoss 22 Aug `11, 1:44PM
    • Benoit Assou-Ekotto: Tottenham will target dodgy David de Gea

BLOWING COLD ... David De Gea
      BLOWING COLD ... David De Gea

TOTTENHAM star Benoit Assou-Ekotto has told dodgy David de Gea to expect another test of nerve at Old Trafford tonight.

The £17.8m keeper blundered in his first two games for Manchester United.

And Assou-Ekotto said: "We will try to take advantage of these problems he's had. When you come to England you have to learn quickly how we play here.

"It is never easy in the first six months."

Spaniard De Gea, 20, is one of a handful of new signings in Alex Ferguson's squad this season.

The United chief has also splashed out on defender Phil Jones and winger Ashley Young.

But Cameroon full-back Assou-Ekotto insists that he is not losing any sleep over the prospect of facing £16m winger Young in tonight's Premier League showdown.

He said: "We used to play against him when he was at Aston Villa and we did OK against him then.

"So it will be the same against Manchester United - he's not better just because he has changed clubs.

"Young and Nani are both good players, but they are still only human. I really don't care who I play against from Manchester United.

"United have some injuries at the moment and I hope this will help us. But the problem with them is that even when they miss some players and don't play well, they are still good.

"They never lose. The minimum they do is 0-0 or 1-1, but they don't lose. So it will not be easy for us."

40,822 posts since Apr '06
    2,931 posts since Nov '05
    • Originally posted by gunner77:

A good win

can see clearly that spurs not match fit.

ashley young is a great buy, he's like giggs. enjoy taking on players and very fast...

11,142 posts since Jul '05
    • The old trafford audience was very kind to de gea this morning. They applauded at the most routine of saves and distribution. On the looks of this match, he looks really shaky man.....can't believe how he's the 18m buy.

On a positive note, phil jones looked superb, fearless and accurate in his timing of tackles. Smalling played as right back...he looked really comfortable taking on defenders while on the overlap, quite surprising given that he only did the simple defending when he was playing in the centre. And 1 year back, who would have imagined that welbeck would be the star of a big match for man u. Before he went on loan, he and macheda both looked like aimless chickens running into the box.

Entertaining match.

8,634 posts since Jan '07
    • Very entertaining and really great performance.

De Gea is still coping, but less mistakes this time. He's improving and a few more BPL games under his belt and he'll be good. Just nerves. At least he's yelling at people now and directing his back four around.

Jones, Welbeck, Smalling, Cleverly were really really great for me. Anderson was okay and he will need to perform better to hold a place because these kids were spectacular. The way they played yesterday reminded me why I love United so much, if only Sneijder was part of it, they would've spent 99% of the time in Tottenham's half lol.

I think Macheda might go out on loan again before the transfer window closes.

All in all, really really good game, keep the momentum going into the next few games against Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and City and there will be little to worry about when CL/FA/Carling games come into the picture.

Side note: VDS and wife was present at the game. Highly likely they're there to facilitate Sneijder and wife's move to England and of course United?

Edited by Keii 23 Aug `11, 12:03PM
    40,822 posts since Apr '06
    •  

Good match... Young and Jones are really great buys... Just glad we didn't lose them to Pool...

Jones reminds me more of a Terry than Rio or Vidic... The only difference is he got good pace. He is brave, he tackles well... Can't belief he is only 19 man! I think Terry at 19 also wasn't good yet...

De Gea had a better outing making decent stops only towards the last 20mins he spoilt his "better performance" by fumbling again but at least this time it isn't costly... Looking at Brad Friedel at the opposite side, the way he plucks the ball out of the air seems routine man while De Gea makes it look so difficult...

Also, Anderson is getting better too...

Can watch the goals here while it's still on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjaTOSrTLoM

• Forgot to say... Brad Friedel man of the match again against United...

Lucky he didn't spoil our day as he usually do... Laughing

• yeh phil jones has the balls too, not shy to jump into a tackle. Anyone saw the way anderson celebrated after his goal? hehe looked like a over-excited gyrating goldfish....got me in stitches.

• Anyone saw the part where Lindegaard shake his hands like indicating "hot" "hot" after Anderson scored... Laughing

1,021 posts since Jan '03
    • Jones really a goodd good buy. Tackle very well timed, Bravey and got pace. I remember the tackle he made to bale.. Very nice got the ball. and bale just rolling..and jones just super angry and shout. hehe Nice. not afraid.

Smalling played well in RB too. Both of them has good chemeisty  1 go attack the other stick well behind to cover.

Young not bad wor..i wonder when valencia come back nani be back to bench bo? Yesterday i saw nani...erm...so so leh.

• The block against Pavlyuchenko too after De Gea fumbled... That one also very good, he was very quick to react and brave to close him down and took the power shot from Pavlyuchenko right onto his body...

And yeah, Young really good... Ever since he join the squad, he looks like he has been there for sometime kind... Totally not out of place and is a threat to opponents whenever he gets the ball... He is like, become the 2nd most dangerous player for United now after Rooney...

Smalling not bad, has found himself a new position to add to his centre-midfield role...  

8,634 posts since Jan '07
    • Originally posted by Rock^Star:

Hey where's valencia?

Fitness issue, working with Fletch in reserves

7,770 posts since Jan '06
    • one thing, seems Nani is not having his usual's spotlight.. has his performance dipped, in his game??

(paiseh, I only see MUTV on ch5, very delayed telecast).

49,302 posts since Mar '05
    • spurs playing actually still not up to title challenger's standard. 

i believe man u will win.

i hope spurs change a new and better manager.  redknapp is not the right man to bring them forward. spurs wont achieve anything substantial under him.

• He congratulated scott parker after the match for a tireless performance but me thinks he's just so so. Could have released a few killer passes in his position but he didn't. And that direct shot at serchessny shows he has little technique. Good work rate for a mid table team but definitely not a top class one.

Please Login or Signup to reply.