John Terry racism allegations: prosecutors to make announcement
• Crown Prosecution Service to issue statement on Wednesday
• Case relates to incident involving Chelsea captain in OctoberJohn Terry, right, denies making a racial slur against Anton Ferdinand, centre, when Chelsea played QPR in October. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA
The Crown Prosecution Service has revealed it will make an announcement on the case involving John Terry's alleged racist slur against Anton Ferdinand on Wednesday afternoon.
The news follows the CPS's recent confirmation that it had received additional evidence, thought to be new video footage of the incident, which allegedly occurred during Chelsea's defeat at Queens Park Rangers on 23 October.
Terry strongly denies the claims. Shortly after the allegations were made, he issued a statement saying: "I've seen that there's a lot of comments on the internet with regards to some video footage of me during the game.
"I'm disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand. I would never say such a thing, and I'm saddened that people would think so."
The development follows Tuesday's decision by the Football Association to ban the Liverpool striker Luis Suárez for eight matches and fine him £40,000 after he was found guilty of misconduct, regarding the use of "insulting words" towards Manchester United's Patrice Evra.
Originally posted by zocoss:
Well, you must have sufficient evidence like being caught on video or the culprit admitting to using racially abusive words before you can make a case right?
If you don't have this, good luck trying... lol.
in the Suarez case, he admitted using "the word" (what word, we don't know)
in the Terry case, it was on national TV.. cannot get away with that coz people can read his lips clearly and the ref heard it too
CHARGED! England captain Terry in the dock over racist row with Ferdinand
Race-row: John Terry was accused of making racist comments to Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand at Loftus Road on October 23
John Terry WILL face criminal charges over his alleged racist comments towards Anton Ferdinand.
The Crown Prosecution Service announced this afternoon that they have authorised his prosecution.
Terry will appear before West London Magistrates' Court on February 1. He has been recommended for prosecution for 'a racially aggravated public order offence.'
Reacting to the news, Terry said: 'I am disappointed with the decision to charge me and hope to be given the chance to clear my name as quickly as possible.
'I have never aimed a racist remark at anyone and count people from all races and creeds among my closest friends.
'I will fight tooth and nail to prove my innocence. I have campaigned against racism and believe there is no place for it in society.'
The case will not go to the Crown Court and the maximum punishment available is a fine of £2,500
'I have today advised the Metropolitan Police Service that John Terry should be prosecuted for a racially aggravated public order offence following comments allegedly made during a Premier League football match between Queen's Park Rangers and Chelsea,' said Alison Saunders, the Chief Crown Prosecutor for London.
'The decision was taken in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and after careful consideration of all the evidence I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute this case.
'He is now summonsed with a criminal offence and has the right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that nothing should be reported which could prejudice his trial.'
The England captain has denied racially abusing the Queens Park Rangers defender during the Barclays Premier League match on October 23.
Terry is alleged to have called Ferdinand a 'f******* black c***' in last month's defeat at QPR.
Flash point: Defenders Ferdinand and Terry argue during heated London derbyTerry has been interviewed by the police, as have a number of witnesses, and the CPS will decide if there is the evidence, which includes extensive video footage supplied by Sky, to bring charges.
Terry is supported by Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas, and the Football Association have allowed him to remain England captain, agreeing with boss Fabio Capello he should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The FA will complete their inquiry into the incident once the police investigation is concluded.
After the announcement, a Chelsea statement read: 'Chelsea Football Club today received notification that the Crown Prosecution Service has charged John Terry with a racially aggravated public order offence.
'John has made it clear he denies the charge and is determined to do all he can to prove his innocence. Chelsea FC has always been fully supportive of John in this matter and will continue to be so.
'The club finds all forms of discrimination abhorrent and we are proud of the work we undertake campaigning on this important issue. Chelsea will not be commenting further on the subject while the legal process runs its course.'
Terry is due to play for Chelsea away to Tottenham on Thursday night as his club attempt to stay in contention for the Barclays Premier League title.
He picked up a minor achilles injury during an open training session at Stamford Bridge on Monday.
Originally posted by charlize:
I read in other forums that Terry's case has gone to the police.
All along it has been cos a fan made a police report on him.
Originally posted by the Bear:
in the Suarez case, he admitted using "the word" (what word, we don't know)
An FA statement said: 'Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1).
'The insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra's colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2).
'Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000.
In Terry's case... He seems to be claiming he was only repeating something someone though he said... They will investigate whether it's true or not. The police will have him first and after they are done, the FA will start to do their job.
Originally posted by the Bear:
when Suarez kena more than 10 times that??
That is just the court fine, the sum is for the normal people... I expect the FA will have their own once the police and courts have first option to him...
Terry fights for his careerTERRY ... in training yesterday
JOHN TERRY is not just fighting a racism charge — he is fighting for his football career.
The Chelsea defender will be a pariah in the game if the accusation he racially abused QPR defender Anton Ferdinand is proven.
The FA have taken a strong anti-racism stance over the last decade with the 'Kick It Out' campaign and official protests against racially abusive supporters.
How embarrassing and destructive it would be for the England captain to be branded a racist. The FA would surely have to strip Terry of the captaincy whether manager Fabio Capello liked it or not.
When Terry had the armband taken away after allegations he had an affair with Wayne Bridge's partner, his fate rested with Capello. But this time the decision would have to be taken out of the manager's hands.
And how could Chelsea stand by their skipper if he was found guilty of such a charge in a criminal court?
Imagine how his fellow pros would view Terry and the prospect of playing in the same team.
It is likely the case on February 1 will be adjourned meaning the charge will still be hanging over Terry when England play Holland at Wembley on February 29.
Last night the FA steadfastly refused to discuss what could happen to JT. But, if major sponsors start voicing concerns about Terry, there would be serious problems both for him and the FA.
Terry's picture has been mysteriously disappearing from the website of Umbro, one of his major sponsors. Even the photo used by Umbro to promote the full England team features adidas-sponsored Steven Gerrard as captain.
And imagine the problems if Rio Ferdinand, Anton's brother, is also in the Three Lions squad.
I think that guy have long given up on chelsea already lah... He is more of a mourinho fan than a blue. So don't be too surprise he end up being a man u fan one day... lol.
I can still remember his video, a a la jose chin up, chin up action... lol.
Chelsea slap down players' plan to wear Suarez-style T-shirts in support of Terry
Getting on with business: John Terry is preparing to face Fulham on Boxing Day
Last minute Christmas shopping: John Terry and family on Friday night
Chelsea have confirmed they had rejected a proposal for their players to wear T-shirts in support of captain John Terry.
Some of the Blues squad and staff had raised the prospect of donning T-shirts showing their backing for Terry, who has been charged with racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.
Liverpool were heavily criticised in some quarters for allowing their players to wear T-shirts in support of Luis Suarez during the warm-up before Wednesday night's Barclays Premier League game at Wigan, following the striker's eight-match ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra.
Chelsea, who fully back Terry in his fight to clear his name, did not want to risk emulating something that could be viewed as provocative or construed as a potential contempt of court ahead of Terry's hearing at West London magistrates court on February 1.
A club spokesman said: 'We were aware of the idea being discussed among some of the players and staff.
'The club fully supports John but did not think the wearing of T-shirts was an appropriate or helpful show of that support.'
Meanwhile, Sportsmail exclusively revealed on Saturday that a gang tried to break into Terry's home while the Chelsea captain was away playing in Thursday night's Barclays Premier League game against Tottenham.
Gesture: Liverpool wore T-shirts in support of striker Luis Suarez (above left) over his eight-game ban from the FA for making racist comments to Manchester United defender Patrice Evra ahead of the match against Wigan on Wednesday
The raiders had broken through the perimeter gate of the property using a scaffolding pole from building work next door and were approaching the house before being chased off the premises by security guards.
Terry's wife Toni and four-year-old children Georgie John and Summer Rose were in the mansion in Oxshott, Surrey, along with Terry's mother Sue and Toni's mother Sue Poole when the intruders struck towards the end of the game.
Terry had hired the extra security due to the intensity of the media spotlight on him following being charged by the Crown Prosecution Service with racially abusing Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea's game against QPR at Loftus Road in October.
It is unclear whether the attackers were intent on damaging the property or attempting burglary.
A friend of Terry said: 'They were all completely shocked at what happened, especially with young children in the house and two grandmothers. It was a very scary experience for all of them at a hugely difficult time for the family.'
In the dock: The Chelsea captain is under scrutiny for alleged comments made towards Anton Ferdinand
It is understood that the attack has not been reported to the police. Terry was playing at White Hart Lane in his first match since the charges were announced. The 31-year-old was booed every time he touched the ball and was also the focus of relentless abusive chants from Spurs fans.
A hostile crowd targeted Wayne Rooney's house when he was involved in a contract dispute with Manchester United, while Peter Crouch and his model wife Abbey Clancy had their Cheshire home ransacked this week.