27 Apr, 05:15AM in sunny Singapore!

Everton 1 - 0 City ~ Rio offers Gibson free dinner

Subscribe to Everton 1 - 0 City ~ Rio offers Gibson free dinner 20 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    25,009 posts since Sep '05
    • Everton's Darron Gibson sinks Manchester City to blow open title race

Everton 1 Manchester City 0: match report Darron Gibson
      Take that: former United defender Darron Gibson scores for Everton against Manchester City Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Roberto Mancini insisted he was to blame for Manchester City’s defeat at Everton, claiming that he had both failed to prepare his players properly and also under-estimated David Moyes’s side.

The Italian’s comments were probably designed to shield his players, who are showing signs that they are feeling the pressure of their title pursuit, but they were still a remarkable admission for a Premier League manager to make.

“We had a problem because I made mistakes,” said Mancini. “It was a bad night for me. We didn’t deserve to lose, but I made a mistake as we did not prepare properly for this game.

“It is important I learn from this because I cannot make the same mistakes in the next game. I thought maybe it was going to be easier than it was, and it is never easy this game.

“It is impossible to always do well, but we did not prepare well in training in the last three or four days.

“We played well against Tottenham and we’ve won the last three games in the Premier League, Everton were without some important players, we made a mistake. I did not prepare us for the pressure that we would be put under tonight.

“We are still top of the table and we have 15 games [left]. It is important now that we win the game at home next weekend.”

With the transfer window now shut, Everton’s win has thrown the title race wide open and it was ironically, and almost inevitably, secured by former Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson’s first goal for the Merseyside club.

Gibson was an early January mover after finding his first team opportunities limited at United, but the midfielder’s popularity at Old Trafford has never been higher after his second-half strike condemned City to only their third league defeat of the season.

Given a standing ovation when he left the Goodison Park pitch, the midfielder’s name also rang out at his former home. A rare feat for anyone, let alone a player who had his fair share of critics towards the end of his time at United.

Edited by zocoss 01 Feb `12, 12:40PM
    49,241 posts since Mar '05
    • mancini really should be replaced.

let mourinho take over next season.

i wont be surprised city end up winning nothing.

125 posts since Jan '12
    • Hooray!United has got hope now to catch those pretenders.But they must make full use of this advantage.Let's win the Europa League along the way as well.

1,543 posts since Nov '10
    • didnt expect city to lose at everton, what a surprise, but then football is round, just like who expected BB to beat united at old trafford in late december 3-2.

41,032 posts since Apr '06
    125 posts since Jan '12
    • Yeah,hope that the team don't screw up the league crown like how we did in 94/95 to Blackburn and in 97/98 to Arsenal.I see the Europa League as a bonus so why not pick it up too.We had a chance in 95/96 to win the old UEFA Cup but lost on away goals to Rotor but at least my hero scored the headed goal in stoppage time to preserve our unbeaten record at home. 

33,609 posts since May '09
    125 posts since Jan '12
    • MC are not the regional or world power they seem to be.They just have petrol dollars propping them up.Not quite in the league of Bayern,Ajax,Real,Barca,United and Milan who are traditionally renowned for their history and the competitions that they have won.MC are more in the league of PSG,Getafe and Malaga who have oil dollars.

31,782 posts since Mar '05
    • This is a team that can score 2 goals with 10 men when they are 0-3 down vs Man United. icon_lol.gif

125 posts since Jan '12
    • Originally posted by Bus&Soccer l0v3r (VO3x 1):

icon_lol.gif  Fellaini is too damn strong....

You mean that Belgian guy with a Afro hairstyle?

25,009 posts since Sep '05
    • Meal deal for Darron as Rio offers Gibson free dinner to say thanks for City strike

Top Toffee: Darron Gibson scored the only goal as Everton beat Manchester City

Top Toffee: Darron Gibson scored the only goal as Everton beat Manchester City

Rio Ferdinand has promised former team-mate Darron Gibson a free meal at his Manchester restaurant following the Everton midfielder's match-winning performance against Premier League leaders City on Tuesday night.

Republic of Ireland international Gibson smashed home the only goal of the game - and his first for the club - as Everton downed Roberto Mancini's side at Goodison Park.

Wayne Rooney was first to congratulate Gibson, who moved to Everton for a cut-price fee after 60 appearances under Sir Alex Ferguson, when he wrote on Twitter: 'Yeeeeeeesssssssss gibbo. Love u kid.'

And that was followed up by Ferdinand, who this morning added: 'Just organising a FREE meal at my restaurant @RossoRestaurant for Darron Gibson!!'

City's defeat, coupled with United's win at home over Stoke, meant the defending champions moved level on points with their rivals.

Thanks: As reward, Rio Ferdinand has offered his old team-mate a free meal at his restaurant 'Rosso' in Manchester

Thanks: As reward, Rio Ferdinand has offered his old team-mate a free meal at his restaurant 'Rosso' in Manchester

After the game, Gibson said: 'The lads went out and put a shift in and it paid off for us. Everyone defended well, right from Denis Stracqualursi up front.

'It was good to get off the mark and I'll probably be getting a few phonecalls from my former team-mates.'

His former manager Sir Alex Ferguson  then commented: 'It was all part of the plan.'

• Originally posted by RalliartTurbo:

You mean that Belgian guy with a Afro hairstyle?

yes

Come to think of it

Rio should offers Barry free dinner icon_lol.gif

he deflection allow gibson to get a goal

Edited by Bus&Soccer l0v3r (VO3x 1) 02 Feb `12, 9:13AM
    • Originally posted by RalliartTurbo:

MC are not the regional or world power they seem to be.They just have petrol dollars propping them up.Not quite in the league of Bayern,Ajax,Real,Barca,United and Milan who are traditionally renowned for their history and the competitions that they have won.MC are more in the league of PSG,Getafe and Malaga who have oil dollars.

remember what man u  was like before SAF came on board?

to the liverpool fans man u were also pretenders.

Edited by dragg 02 Feb `12, 9:26AM
    11,142 posts since Jul '05
    1,543 posts since Nov '10
    • Originally posted by Rock^Star:

Ok settle down. All it takes is Chelsea to beat Utd this Sunday.

if city win and  united win, its 3 pts behind.

crunch match is april at city home  ground. safe to say whoever win the match, wins the league title.

• Originally posted by Rock^Star:

Ok settle down. All it takes is Chelsea to beat Utd this Sunday.

chelsea?

i wouldnt bet on that.

this is the worst chelsea since RA came.

11,142 posts since Jul '05
    479 posts since Dec '11
    • Chelsea wont likely win United, maybe a draw. United’s Rooney and Nani are back after injures. Even when they are gone, United still manage to win Arsenal.

31,782 posts since Mar '05
    • Treating to a meal?

That's like treating your friend to a happy meal after getting your 30 month bonus. icon_lol.gif

Please Login or Signup to reply.