24 Apr, 01:22AM in sunny Singapore!

Why could airline company hire a female pilot over a guy ?

Subscribe to Why could airline company hire a female pilot over a guy ? 16 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    3,133 posts since Nov '04
    • i was wondering.. why could the airline company really hire a "female" pilot?
      How is the demand for commerical pilot like nowadays?

Is commerical pilot a lonely job?
      cos i realised i prefered to work in group.

149,694 posts since Feb '01
    4,350 posts since Jul '05
    • Well, nowadays airline companies or even the Air Force are on the lookout for potential female pilots, probably because they want to even out the high male to female ratio, after all, gender equality gaining a foothold on society.

Still, male pilots are preferred over females ones. One reason being the females have a very high potential of leaving the company/airforce after getting married or giving birth to a child, so the large amount of money that was spent on training the female pilot would somehow not get as much worth from a male pilot that is able to commit for decades at a time.

Edited by polarsnake 27 Dec `06, 8:42AM
    3,133 posts since Nov '04
    • mm there is no female pilot in SIA?

I wonder... what is the interviews like???
      Have to go SYFC for training? if cannot make it, will get kick out?

• Originally posted by Isis:
      mm there is no female pilot in SIA?

I wonder... what is the interviews like???
      Have to go SYFC for training? if cannot make it, will get kick out?

Going to the SYFC is not something that is necessary, just an advantage, that's all. If you apply to go SIA and succeed, they'll send you to their flying college in Seletar to receive basic flying training.

2,543 posts since Dec '03
    • afaik, there are no females in SIA mainline, though it doesn't say anywhere that they don't hire them. Its sort of like an unwritten policy, probably due to image concerns. Most female applicants to the SIA cadet pilot scheme get posted to silkair, though i'm not sure whether any of them end up in SIA Cargo.

Air Force is different though. They're encouraging females to sign on as pilots, and there's even one female F-16 pilot

1,208 posts since Jun '06
    68,593 posts since Jan '03
    • there was a writeup in the safety magazine some time ago by a lady in aeromedical centre on why males make better pilots.

something to do with the way males think.
      women can multi-task but its no necessarily be a good thing.

women tend to be more emotional too.

• Originally posted by buses_galore:
      Female as pilots???Later they get PMS Than any throw the plane around Laughing Laughing Laughing

Evil or Very Mad

2,543 posts since Dec '03
      Female as pilots???Later they get PMS Than any throw the plane around Laughing Laughing Laughing

haha. you're a strange little thing Mr. Green

5,181 posts since Jan '06

Lol, u r just waiting to get bashed Mr. Green

Hmm, AFAIK, in RSAF, one female pilot retired from flying, and there are still about 5-6 still active ...

659 posts since Jun '03
    • Dear Isis

The demand for commercial as well as mil pilots are overwhelming these days.
      with free skies, FTA n "open skies" treaties..airlines n routes are proliferated.

and No..commercial or military pilots do not have a lonely job. U will work in group,u rely alot on the people on the ground as u do on the air with ur wingmen. It takes a lot to operate a flight, from engineering to dispatchers,traffic staff, DCAs,( Department of Civil Aviation) , Govermental regulatories bodies..ATC and many others. U will learn to work with your own peers & others , during a flight u will have to work with ground staff, engineers, loadmastes, sign various documents to certify that all procedures,loading, aircraft C of G n safety are IAW ( In Accordance With ) Safety regulations, u also have to make sure that ur own set of crew are up to perform a flight.That is why pilots have to pass a course called CRM (Crew Resource management) and that is to make use of resources around you plus etiquette ,responsibilities, different cultures ,professionalism..etc..
      SO u see Miss Isis, you will have more than what u wish for..working in a big global group.
      Hope this helps.

Btw, I had worked with some female pilots who are as good if not BETTER than male counterparts, PMS or not! That's how professional they are. too bad 2 of them retire early.

Originally posted by Isis:
      i was wondering.. why could the airline company really hire a "female" pilot?

Edited by megatron 08 Jan `07, 2:12PM
    72 posts since Oct '04
    • Originally posted by megatron:
      Dear Isis

The demand for commercial as well as mil pilots are overwhelming these days.
      with free skies, FTA n "open skies" treaties..airlines n routes are proliferated.

and No..commercial or military pilots do not have a lonely job. U will work in group,u rely alot on the people on the ground as u do on the air with ur wingmen. It takes a lot to operate a flight, from engineering to dispatchers,traffic staff, DCAs,( Department of Civil Aviation) , Govermental regulatories bodies..ATC and many others. U will learn to work with your own peers & others , during a flight u will have to work with ground staff, engineers, loadmastes, sign various documents to certify that all procedures,loading, aircraft C of G n safety are IAW ( In Accordance With ) Safety regulations, u also have to make sure that ur own set of crew are up to perform a flight.That is why pilots have to pass a course called CRM (Crew Resource management) and that is to make use of resources around you plus etiquette ,responsibilities, different cultures ,professionalism..etc..
      SO u see Miss Isis, you will have more than what u wish for..working in a big global group.
      Hope this helps.

Btw, I had worked with some female pilots who are as good if not BETTER than male counterparts, PMS or not! That's how professional they are. too bad 2 of them retire early.

True, but at the end of the day, you go back to your hotel room alone. At least I do.

659 posts since Jun '03
    • Haha.why 's that? U want to bring CRM back into the bedroom as well eh?
      Don't clock above your FDP!!
      Laughing

Originally posted by Xfr8dog:
      True, but at the end of the day, you go back to your hotel room alone. At least I do.
    37,612 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by Isis:
      i was wondering.. why could the airline company really hire a "female" pilot?

not sure but females may stand a higher schance in future ocs of PR reasons the companies want to "promote" gender equality and boast of employing equal numbers of males and females.

actually i have no idea why thats taken as a reliable indication of equality Laughing Laughing

• Originally posted by polarsnake:
      Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing

next time bar him from sitting in the planes

Please Login or Signup to reply.