静思语 Readings For Silent Reflection

Subscribe to 静思语 Readings For Silent Reflection 8,239 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    9,012 posts since Nov '09
    • Originally posted by Sg.btcopys:

Thanks for sharing...

Welcome ! I'm glad that you like the posts here. :)_/|\_

• a monk was asked ...
      - Q: The world is filled with so much pain and suffering. Why did so many people have to die due to war, famine, accident, ect. Was it their karma?
      - A: I've never found the cause of anything in Buddhism to be just one thing. 
      Saying the reason for a complex chain of events is the result of one action-- whether it's God, sin or karma-- doesn't seem like a viable option for a Buddhist. 
      Buddhist cosmology is non-theistic and lacks a first cause. I admit some Buddhists feel karma can replace God as a first cause, because Buddhism has a moral code and lacks a divine law giver... But is it fair to say that a Tsunami is the moral consequence of unskillful intention, speech and action?

The Buddha was clear on this. 
      We lack a realistic world view because of lust, greed, hatred and delusion. Science can add some clarity and meaning, but the Buddha warned us about this world of ours (samsara) being unsatisfactory, it's the place where birth, death and change occur. We experience pain because we have a body/mind, and suffer because of desire and impermanence.
      Sickness, injury, aging and death are simply the signs of flux in an insufferable world.

• "All cravings are the mind Seeking Salvation of Fulfillment In External Things and In The Future, As A Substitute For The Joy of Being."
      ... Pleasure is "always derived from something outside of you", where as "JOY ARISES FROM WITHIN"...
      the very thing that gives you pleasure today will give you pain tomorrow...
      The greater part of pain is unnecessary. It is self-created as long as the unobserved mind runs your life....

...from "THE POWER OF NOW"
      by Ekhart Tolle

• Question: My friend is a person who is not ready to listen to higher Dhamma practice but he likes to do dāna to monks and temples and in turn wishes that he has good health, abundance of wealth or winning a lottery. How does this compare to someone who just donate to beggars or animals where one does not wish for any returns. Do they get the same merits?

Than Ajahn: Whether you get more merits depends on what you desire for. If you give without any desire, you get more merits. If you give and you desire for returns, then you have less merits because sometimes when you don’t get what you want, you feel bad. And instead of feeling good from giving, you feel bad. So if you don’t have any desire for returns then you won’t feel bad, you will feel happy. It depends on your expectations. If you have expectation, the less merits you get. If you don’t have expectation, you get 100% merits, you feel happy. So ideally, you give without any expectation for rewards or returns because when you expect returns, you have defilements (kilesa), it is lobha and having lobha will make you unhappy.

If you expect returns, it is not called giving, it is trading, like buying or selling. I give you this much and you give me this much back, like when you go to the store and you give the shop owner some money and he gives you something back, so this is trading, it is not dāna. Dāna is a one way street, it is the act of giving and not taking and if you are still taking, it means you are not giving. The result (of your giving) is automatic and comes from your mind. When you sacrifice you feel good. When you don’t sacrifice you don’t feel good.

Please Login or Signup to reply.