26 May, 08:00AM in sunny Singapore!

Churches Attacked In Kuala Lumper

Subscribe to Churches Attacked In Kuala Lumper 87 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    34,548 posts since Aug '05
    • happened early this morning I think

Malaysian churches fire-bombed ahead of demonstrations

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8447450.stm

Three churches have been attacked in Malaysia's capital Kuala Lumpur, ahead of planned protests by Muslim groups.

The administrative offices of one church were destroyed by a firebomb attack and one of the other two churches attacked was slightly damaged.

Some Muslim groups are angry at a court decision allowing non-Muslims to use the word Allah to refer to God.

The government relies on the Malay Muslim vote, and will let Muslims march from mosques to churches on Friday.

<!-- E SF -->

Prime Minister Najib Razak condemned the church attacks, saying such actions would "destroy our country's harmony".

"The government will take whatever steps it can to prevent such acts," he said.

Divided faiths

The controversy stems from a ban on a Catholic newspaper, The Herald, using the word Allah.

The Kuala Lumpur High Court struck down the three-year old ban on use of the word Allah - a ruling now the target of planned demonstrations.

Some major Muslim organisations, including the Islamic political party, PAS, have agreed with the court, saying other Abrahamic religions - Christinaity and Judiasm - may use the word Allah.

But some vocal groups, including the Muslim Youth Movement, Abim, have cast the use of the word Allah as a surreptitious effort on the part of Christians to try to seduce Muslims away from Islam.

The argument has continued in the media and the courts for months but had not become violent - until assailants on motorbikes were seen smashing the windows of the Metro Tabernacle Church, a Protestant church in Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

The ground floor office of the three-storey church was destroyed in a blaze a little after midnight, said Kevin Ang, a church spokesman.

Kuala Lumpur police Chief Mohamad Sabtu Osman said police had found a wrench, an empty petrol tin and two scorched motorbikes at the scene.

Separately, Molotov cocktails were thrown into the compounds of two other churches before dawn, causing minor damage in one and none in the other, church officials said.

The police chief has also urged protesters not to join Friday's planned demonstrations.

The government has appealed against the court verdict and the High Court has suspended the decision's implementation until the appeal is heard.

About 60% of Malaysians are Malay Muslims alongside significant Chinese and Indian minorities.

Prime Minister Najib has spoken recently of a "one Malaysia" concept - something analysts now say is under severe challenge.

1,183 posts since Jan '03
    • Why soon a Muslim be afraid that he would be drawn away from his God just because someone else uses his langauge to speak of God?

Muslims should take pride and confidence that he/she will not be drawn away from his/her faith just because of this.

199 posts since Sep '07
    • Crazy world we are living in today.......i am a Muslim in Singapore. It is not wrong for any other religion to use Allah in their books or writings as long as it is not demeaning or insulting God in anyway.

Allah in fact is the arabic word for God so it is not wrong to use it.

Being a Muslim, we should in fact look at how we potray ourselves to people of our own religion and other religion to show a good example of a good practising Muslim following the commandments of God Almighty and the examples of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. Showing good example is the only way to tell people Islam is a religion of peace.

Violence is not taught in any way by our Prophet and acts of violence, destroying properties is condemned by Allah.

Let us all Muslim brothers and sisters lead the way in showing the worls what a beautiful religion Islam is. And let all those Muslims who have strayed from the true teaching of Islam be helped on the right path.

13 posts since Aug '07
    • no offense.but i think there is a big difference in the mind set of muslims in malaysia and here in sg .i find the sg muslims much better and i think much higher EQ that those

13,349 posts since Jan '07
    • Sigh....don't they know that we are killing each other? whether they are muslims or christians is besides the point

7,075 posts since Jan '07
    • I think this is not really about religion at all .....

but about the political supremacy of one particular party .....

5,159 posts since Nov '09
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by Fatum:

I think this is not really about religion at all .....

but about the political supremacy of one particular party .....

I think that it's a mishmash of several factors....

1. General stupidity and ignorance, to put it bluntly. Allah is the Arabic word for God, and Middle Eastern Christians (Coptic Christians in Egypt, for example) refer to God as Allah.

Seriously, if those fellas up north think that the scenario where Christians refer to God by 'Allah' can weaken the faith of Muslims, then it goes to show that their belief in the Islamic faith has been very, very weak to begin with.

No Muslim of genuinely strong faith would walk into a church, read a limited-issue newsletter that refers to God as Allah and have his faith shaken as a direct result.

2. The recent bak kut teh brouhaha comes to mind to support point (1). If halal bak kut teh can somehow mislead Malaysian Muslims, then I feel sorry for them.

It doesn't seem like too long ago that I ate char siew rice. Dang.... I'm starting to get misled! ARGGGHHHH! icon_lol.gif

3. Yes, the ruling party wants to show that they are pandering to the teeming masses, even to the point of absurdity. They lost a lot of ground to the opposition the previous year, and I'm sure they want to be seen to be 'in tune' with the masses.

I see no other reason as to why they would allow protests to be carried out at mosques right after Friday prayers.

Seriously, I'm incredulous that they can go for prayers, wish each other Assalamualaikum ('peace be upon you'), and then go on to perform the truly unholy and peace-disruptive acts of burning the places of worship of other religions....

And before anyone dares to say that I'm anti-Muslim.... I'm Muslim, and there are lots of people here in sgforums who have met me in person to verify that statement.

Edited by fudgester 09 Jan `10, 11:14PM
    199 posts since Sep '07
    • Hi bro fudgester...i agree with you.

Together with the 'bak kut teh issue', this is getting ridiculous. I shudder to think of the wrong signals this will send out to non-Muslims.

To see grown Muslim men, old enough to be my father or grandfather react violently against all teachings of Islam makes me sad...seriously...im on the verge of tears.

There's been enough so-called 'Muslims' going around killing innocent people in the name of Allah and with this to add? It makes me feel the world is coming to an end and Prophet Isa p.b.u.h (Jesus) is readying himself to make his comeback any time soon.

May God Almighty lead us all to the right path.

519 posts since Dec '09
    • THREATENING MINARETS

1. Switzerland has decided that Muslim mosques in that country would not be allowed to have minarets. It seems that minarets would overwhelm the Swiss.

2. I wonder what would happen in Malaysia if Hindu temples are not allowed to have statues, for example. I think there would be an explosion. The whole world will condemn us as being undemocratic, not respecting human rights, not upholding religious freedom etc.

3. But when the Swiss bans minarets (there are only four minarets in the whole of Switzerland) and the French ban headscarves, these are very democratic. Always double standards and unfortunately the discrimination is always against Muslims.

4. Mr Obama, the Nobel Laureate President of the United States of America who promised to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and close Guantanamo Detention Camp, have not honoured even a single word of his promises.

5. In fact more soldiers have been sent by him to Afghanistan and Iraq. He is now preparing to attack Iran together with his ally, Israel.

6. There will be excuses of course. They will show evidence that Iran is making nuclear bombs and is about to launch nuclear war against the world.

7. But after the evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction to justify the invasion of that country, can we believe that the attack against Iran is due to the imminent nuclear attack by that country???

http://chedet.co.cc/chedetblog/2009/12/threatening-minarets.html

7,075 posts since Jan '07
    • lets hope that folks in MY would gain their senses..... They are not a Bridge too Far but only a causeway that connect the hearts and minds of many relatives in Singapore watching....and pondering.

• Originally posted by ztreyier:

THREATENING MINARETS

1. Switzerland has decided that Muslim mosques in that country would not be allowed to have minarets. It seems that minarets would overwhelm the Swiss.

2. I wonder what would happen in Malaysia if Hindu temples are not allowed to have statues, for example. I think there would be an explosion. The whole world will condemn us as being undemocratic, not respecting human rights, not upholding religious freedom etc.

3. But when the Swiss bans minarets (there are only four minarets in the whole of Switzerland) and the French ban headscarves, these are very democratic. Always double standards and unfortunately the discrimination is always against Muslims.

4. Mr Obama, the Nobel Laureate President of the United States of America who promised to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan and close Guantanamo Detention Camp, have not honoured even a single word of his promises.

5. In fact more soldiers have been sent by him to Afghanistan and Iraq. He is now preparing to attack Iran together with his ally, Israel.

6. There will be excuses of course. They will show evidence that Iran is making nuclear bombs and is about to launch nuclear war against the world.

7. But after the evidence that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction to justify the invasion of that country, can we believe that the attack against Iran is due to the imminent nuclear attack by that country???

http://chedet.co.cc/chedetblog/2009/12/threatening-minarets.html

Alamak! Ah Poh, than Ah Chia now Ztreyier

I supposed you are now going to link this with another comspriacy theory that connect the Word "Allah"  being used in the Text as God with your anti view of the Western World!

9,803 posts since Dec '07
    • they just prove to show that muslim is a violence religon?

use their brain la

their way of dealing is trying to provoke the world to hate them more.

tell me, how is that proving that they are the religon above all?

dumb tweet

9,394 posts since Sep '06
    • Patent the word lor.

That show how narrow minded pple they are.

How to live in peace with other pple?

519 posts since Dec '09
    25,382 posts since Jan '04
    • Can somebody please throw ztreyier out of here for trolling?

I have no friggin' idea just how everything he has posted can have anything to do with this thread.

Many thanks. And please don't feed the troll, people.

33,748 posts since Apr '04
    519 posts since Dec '09
Please Login or Signup to reply.