25 Apr, 05:52PM in sunny Singapore!

Getai's not getai without dialect

Subscribe to Getai's not getai without dialect 13 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    19,831 posts since Feb '10
    • Aug 3, 2011 - ST Forum

I DISAGREE with the reasoning for limiting the use of dialect in the getai performances in Orchard Road ("Getai goes glam in Orchard Road"; Sunday).

Tourists delight in experiencing authenticity, which is totally undermined by this artificial language restriction.

I have savoured songs such as madrigals sung in the vernacular tongue in similar traditional, open-air festivals in major cities around the world without being put off in the slightest by the language barrier.

I ask the authorities to withdraw the current ruling which is killing the soul of the getai, rendering it as "just another Mandarin song concert".

Chen Junyi

30,059 posts since Oct '02
    • I agree... it shldn't be just without dialect... Singlish should be acceptable too...

Singlish and dialect are all part of local flavours... And even our dialect is not 100% accurate anyway since we have already incorporate other dialect or language into them...

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    242,728 posts since Dec '99
    1,511 posts since May '11
    • It all depends on the target audience... Bad reviews on national image if foreigners jest our misuse of English... They won't get the humor even if someone explains it to them...

30,059 posts since Oct '02
    • Getai is local flavours... besides, u explain liaox then not funny le... It has to come from the heartland and not wayang...

Try taking a very tragic chinese piece of news and use yahoo translator into english... Often the meaning the gets very distorted...

• Another example...

Imagine Wang Sha & Ye Feng speaking in perfect english... U think u will luff at them???

7,331 posts since Mar '10
    1,511 posts since May '11
    • There's a reason why the related agency wanted to do it in central shopping district. It'd not be there and restricted if they want the locals to have a good laugh at themselves...

Like I said, spore need as much positive reviews as possible. Local reviews does carry enough weight....

Edited by Aneslayer 03 Aug `11, 12:29PM
    822 posts since Jul '11
    4 posts since Aug '11
    1,218 posts since Aug '06
    8,961 posts since Sep '04
    487 posts since Dec '05
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

好兄弟 might wanna hear kpop oso leh

like hoot~

lol...but 好兄弟 know kpop meh...btw, how come so random?

Please Login or Signup to reply.