8,915 posts since Feb '09
    4,674 posts since Feb '09
    • Delight in dim sum

By FAZLEENA AZIZ

PENANG VILLAGE,
      Lot 8 & 9, Level 3, Great Eastern Mall,
      No. 303, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.
      Tel: 03-4257 1698
      Business Hours: 11am to 11pm daily; dim sum available from 11am to 5pm.

FANCY some dim sum, made the traditional way by hand? Just head to the Penang Village in Great Eastern Mall, Kuala Lumpur. 

Penang Village serves all types of local Malaysian food as well as Penang Nyonya and Chinese cuisines. 

It offers an extensive range of dishes, including fish, prawns, soft-shell crab, squid, poultry and tofu, as well as soups and desserts. There are vegetarian dishes, too. 

Meaty mouthfuls: Steamed Chicken Dumpling.

Among the outlet’s signature dishes are Penang Char Kuey Teow, Heh Bee Butter Prawn, Two Style Kailan and Penang Assam Laksa.  

The outlet’s black-and-white-themed decor gives diners a comfortable feeling as they enjoy a hearty meal. 

However, it is the fresh ingredients used in all its cooking that makes Penang Village stand out from other outlets.  

The outlet’s current Dim Sum promotion is an additional treat for customers wanting the best from the menu. 

Dim sum chef Chin Woo Loong said most outlets served frozen and ready-made dim sum. 

Signature dish: The Salted Egg Prawn is available on the a la carte menu.

At Penang Village, the chefs pay attention to the details in preparing all the ingredients and making the products, which takes an hour and a half.  

Chin said they followed the traditional way of making the dim sum, so that they looked nice and had a better texture compared with the those made using machinery. 

“What we are offering during the promotion is cheaper prices, compared with buying the items from the a la carte menu.  

“The quality of the dim sum is maintained as we do not compromise on the freshness of the ingredients in all of our dishes,” he said. 

Comfortable feel: The outlet’s decor has a black-and-white theme.

He also said the feedback on the dim sum from most customers was positive. 

Choose from a variety of steamed and deep-fried dim sum, featuring Steamed Chicken Dumplings, Steamed Shrimp Dumplings, Steamed BBQ Chicken (Pau), Steamed Fish Ball, Steamed Beancurd Rolls, Steamed Chicken Feet, Golden Prawn Dumpling, Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken, Chicken & Century Egg Porridge, Seafood & Chicken Dumpling, Fried Carrot Cake with Bean Sprouts, Deep Fried Mango Roll with Shrimp, Prawn Dumplings with Mayonnaise, Deep Fried Beancurd Roll, Deep Fried Taro Yam Dumplings, Baked BBQ Chicken Pastry, Baked Egg Tart, Deep Fried Radish Cake, Deep Fried Sesame Balls and Deep Fried Spring Rolls. 

Desserts include Durian Roll, Fresh Mango Pudding, Sago Cream with Fresh Mango, Whole Peanut Cake, Blueberry Pudding served with Ice Cream, Pandan Coconut Cake, Red Bean Cake and Lotus Seed Pancake. 

The promotion offers two options, with eight items priced at RM29.90 (set recommended for two to three persons) and 14 items priced at RM49.90. 

The promotion is available only from 3pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday. 

This is the writer’s personal observation and is not an endorsement by StarMetro. 

265 posts since May '08
    • Can try the one at Zhou's Kitchen.. Adult buffet going for 12.90++ i think

Check out at the website..

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    242,626 posts since Dec '99
    • zhou kitchen is not bad
      not dim sum though.... just general 小吃
      variety oni 30-odd dishes
      it's now $13.80++

(tried at square 2 outlet)

17,292 posts since Jun '08
    • Dimsum buffet for below $20

The traditional dim sum of 30 items at Peach Garden are tasty enough and value for money. -TNP

83 posts since Mar '08
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • Originally posted by cactusjack23:

Beside funan it mall also got one

around 15 for lunch time buffet

river city at excelsior hotel?

30,059 posts since Oct '02
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

river city at excelsior hotel?

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

honestly, river city edible meh? icon_lol.gif

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    67,258 posts since Dec '03
    • Teahouse by Tung Lok used to have, but they shut down already, I would say it was one of the best.

Seriously, how much dim sum can one eat? Nowadays I just drop by Victor's Kitchen at sunshine plaza, can eat my fill for 2 pax at 30+ dollars.

• If you not for bad QC, avoid the dimsum buffet at Mirama Hotel.  Even the food centre dimsum taste better than that.

• anyone went to dragon date on a weekday? i once went on a weekend morning for dimsum buffet... FWAH~ the whole hall full house sia... -_____-

Service and food was very poor... but then maybe becoz the crowd too large for them to handle...

• Originally posted by ^Acid^ aka s|aO^eH~:

anyone went to dragon date on a weekday? i once went on a weekend morning for dimsum buffet... FWAH~ the whole hall full house sia... -_____-

Service and food was very poor... but then maybe becoz the crowd too large for them to handle...

I heard quite a bit from people that their food is not nice.

That was why we changed our mind to go there for dimsum buffet.   Went to REd stone at Chin Swee Road.   

Edited by Fantagf 03 Feb `10, 12:37PM
    953 posts since Aug '08
    • Originally posted by Fantagf:

I heard quite a bit from people that their food is not nice.

That was why we changed our mind to go there for dimsum buffet.   Went to REd stone at Chin Swee Road.   

Red star is it instead of red stone??

Dim sum at Yum Cha is the best, many varieties and the price is cheap... but too bad only on weekdays then its buffet...

The one at zhou zhuang is not bad too.. quite nice, and you must try their char siew puffs, pipping hot and delicious.

Another one i would recommend would be the one at the peach garden. Personally I find it to be okay.. but alot of people says its quite nice. I only find the egg tarts, char siew buns and the porridge to be nice.

Go for the one at red star, though its not buffet, its very delicious. Traditional style of cart pushing and ordering.

The more high end one would be the one at fullerton hotel. But i think that this one you must make advance booking like several weeks before.

13,146 posts since Aug '09
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

for tt price, mai hiam lah
      though i personally no eat there b4

hey fireice wanna go eat dim sum?

• Originally posted by MaNyZeR:

Dim sum at Yum Cha is the best, many varieties and the price is cheap... but too bad only on weekdays then its buffet...

The one at zhou zhuang is not bad too.. quite nice, and you must try their char siew puffs, pipping hot and delicious.

Another one i would recommend would be the one at the peach garden. Personally I find it to be okay.. but alot of people says its quite nice. I only find the egg tarts, char siew buns and the porridge to be nice.

Go for the one at red star, though its not buffet, its very delicious. Traditional style of cart pushing and ordering.

The more high end one would be the one at fullerton hotel. But i think that this one you must make advance booking like several weeks before.

Typo error, it is REd Star.    Went there, taste so so only, food not fresh.    Service is very very slow.    I make that my first and last time there.

I have not tasted the dimsum at Peach Garden yet.    I love the dimsum at Crystal Jade.

Yumcha dimsum is nice.  Love the one with mango filling.   yummy

• Originally posted by MaNyZeR:

red star wor... at where ah?

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • Originally posted by ^Acid^ aka s|aO^eH~:

red star wor... at where ah?

Chin Swee road. 7 floor, please avoid on sunday and public holidays late mornings or brunch hour.

9,394 posts since Sep '06
    • Originally posted by ditzy:

Chin Swee road. 7 floor, please avoid on sunday and public holidays late mornings or brunch hour.

Got phone number?

Rd star?

How much per pax?

Buffet dim sum?

I want to try with my family.

• Originally posted by likeyou:

Got phone number?

Rd star?

How much per pax?

Buffet dim sum?

I want to try with my family.

http://www.redstarrestaurant.com.sg/contact%20us.html

No buffet, they are the old school type, push carts, but honestly, you will look for the cart instead of they look for you. Prices per dim sum dish stuck from 2 bucks plus or so.

• Originally posted by ditzy:

http://www.redstarrestaurant.com.sg/contact%20us.html

No buffet, they are the old school type, push carts, but honestly, you will look for the cart instead of they look for you. Prices per dim sum dish stuck from 2 bucks plus or so.

dim sum so so only, not fresh.   Having heard so much about it, my first visit there turned out to be a disappointment.    I read negative comments about it before I went.  For that sort of prices, I pay a bit more eat at Crystal Jade better.   Even the Swee Choon at Jln besar dimsum taste better than Red Star

Please Login or Signup to reply.