29 Nov, 03:00AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Top Polytechnic/University Ranking

Subscribe to Top Polytechnic/University Ranking 43 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    7 posts since Nov '04
    • Top Polytechnic/University Ranking

Ranking criteria for polytechnics & universities in Singapore are based on a 3 month survey on hundred over industry employers preferences. Institutions are not ranked by research intensivity, because unlike a world university ranking done by Shanghai Jiaotong University, academia in polytechnics and universities in Singapore have yet to win any Nobel Prizes, and it is technically difficult to obtain comparable data. Although the ranking is not necessary a good guide to the prestige of institutions, the study does show a correlation between prestige and ranking.

1ST : SINGAPORE POLYTECHNIC (SP)
      2ND : NGEE ANN POLYTECHNIC (NP)
      3RD : TEMASEK POLYTECHNIC (TP)
      4TH : NANYANG POLYTECHNIC (NYP)
      5TH : REPUBLIC POLYTECHNIC (RP)

1ST : NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE (NUS)
      2ND : NANYANG TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY (NTU)
      3RD : SINGAPORE MANAGEMENT UNIVERSITY (SMU)

Ranking criteria for universities in Australia are based on prestige, student demand, research grants & research intensivity in the good universities guide, research outcome in the SJU world university ranking report, & professional recognition of degree awards by respective professional bodies in Singapore.

(Not in ranking order) *Australia States

*New South Wales - UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY (SYDNEY)
      *New South Wales - UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES (UNSW)
      *Queensland - UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND (QUEENSLAND)
      *Victoria - UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE (MELBOURNE)
      *Western Australia - UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA (UWA)

NB:

RP & SMU are relatively new institutions whose students have not been assessed by respective employers. The inconclusive data largely explain their lower ranking. We will get a better picture on how these two institutions stand in 2 to 3 years time. Any ranking are bound to be controversial & that includes mine. Any prospective students should be aware that the ranking might produce a list of top institutions, but this does not mean that these institutions have what the students requires over all area of studies. Many of the Australians universities have reputations in various areas that are far better than the reputations that the 5 elite universities have for those particular areas. Examples are RMIT architectural studies and La Trobe nursing course. For local institutions, long established polytechnic like SP are traditionally strong in Biotechnology/Chemical Process, Engineering & Business Administration but lag behind newer polys like NYP in areas like Software or Multimedia design. Other examples include NP Horticultural studies or TP Legal studies. The 5 Australian Universities are the elite institutions in each of their own states, the Ivy league of Australia, all from the prestigious Group of Eight and scored highly in all the important criteria. Most important of all, all the professional degrees awarded by the 5 elite universities are recognized by the respective bodies in Singapore. That includes Accountancy, Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy & Engineering professional degrees. Another university worth mentioning is the Australian National University (ANU). Although highly ranked by the SJU World Ranking Report, ANU is not ranked in the top 5 because this ranking takes into account all the various important factors (prestige, student demand, research grants, research intensivity & recognition of degrees), unlike SJU ranking which is highly focused on research outcome. ANU scored very highly in SJU ranking largely because they hold the most no. of research institutions & therefore the most no. of prominent researchers. In fact, ANU was initially set up primarily as a national research institution, never a teaching university. They are more of a research, technological university compared to the 5 comprehensive universities ranked above. They do not have Pharmacy, Dentistry or Medicine teaching faculty. ANU engineering degrees are also NOT recognized by the Singapore Engineers Board. Nevertheless, ANU is a very good research university, only lagging behind other universities in terms of teaching criteria & international student demand which they are aware of and fast improving.

Coming soon (Survey results ready by late December)...
      Ranking of Private Institutions in Singapore i.e. SIM, MDIS, Informatics etc...

25,349 posts since Mar '04
    121 posts since May '03
    • oh i love SP, in fact I love it so much that i put most of my choices in SP after my O's I think they just have to accept me Smile))

Life there was unforgettable....those were great days......i just have develope this special feeling for the school when i went to the open house I didn't want to go anywhere else....not even JCs.

10,722 posts since Dec '01
    821 posts since Jun '02
    • i think for polytechnics, the ranking is very general... cos different polys offer different special courses.
      Singapore U also... different Uni offers totally different genre except for those few general courses.

1,176 posts since Aug '04
    77 posts since Nov '03
    • ya lor where u get the info how can polytechnic rank like this 1...
      each poly have their special course lehhh

127,608 posts since Sep '04
    3,872 posts since Sep '04
    • Originally posted by LadyInRed:

(Not in ranking order) *Australia States

*New South Wales - UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY (SYDNEY)
      *New South Wales - UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES (UNSW)
      *Queensland - UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND (QUEENSLAND)
      *Victoria - UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE (MELBOURNE)
      *Western Australia - UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA (UWA)

NB:

RP & SMU are relatively new institutions whose students have not been assessed by respective employers. The inconclusive data largely explain their lower ranking. We will get a better picture on how these two institutions stand in 2 to 3 years time. Any ranking are bound to be controversial & that includes mine. Any prospective students should be aware that the ranking might produce a list of top institutions, but this does not mean that these institutions have what the students requires over all area of studies. Many of the Australians universities have reputations in various areas that are far better than the reputations that the 5 elite universities have for those particular areas. Examples are RMIT architectural studies and La Trobe nursing course. For local institutions, long established polytechnic like SP are traditionally strong in Biotechnology/Chemical Process, Engineering & Business Administration but lag behind newer polys like NYP in areas like Software or Multimedia design. Other examples include NP Horticultural studies or TP Legal studies. The 5 Australian Universities are the elite institutions in each of their own states, the Ivy league of Australia, all from the prestigious Group of Eight and scored highly in all the important criteria. Most important of all, all the professional degrees awarded by the 5 elite universities are recognized by the respective bodies in Singapore. That includes Accountancy, Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy & Engineering professional degrees. Another university worth mentioning is the Australian National University (ANU). Although highly ranked by the SJU World Ranking Report, ANU is not ranked in the top 5 because this ranking takes into account all the various important factors (prestige, student demand, research grants, research intensivity & recognition of degrees), unlike SJU ranking which is highly focused on research outcome. ANU scored very highly in SJU ranking largely because they hold the most no. of research institutions & therefore the most no. of prominent researchers. In fact, ANU was initially set up primarily as a national research institution, never a teaching university. They are more of a research, technological university compared to the 5 comprehensive universities ranked above. They do not have Pharmacy, Dentistry or Medicine teaching faculty. ANU engineering degrees are also NOT recognized by the Singapore Engineers Board. Nevertheless, ANU is a very good research university, only lagging behind other universities in terms of teaching criteria & international student demand which they are aware of and fast improving.

Coming soon (Survey results ready by late December)...
      Ranking of Private Institutions in Singapore i.e. SIM, MDIS, Informatics etc...

ANU just started up its graduate medical course.

But never mind , my two universities at least known as prestigious top lot Smile .
      Based on age .......mostly .......older the more established. Difference between the ivy leagues and group 8 of australia - ivy leagues are mostly private universities (not sure about Upenn) while group 8 are " state " universities.

Edited by fymk 02 Nov `04, 11:28AM
    4,282 posts since Apr '04
    12,231 posts since Apr '04
    12,231 posts since Apr '04
    • Originally posted by poon cho tang:
      seems like this LadyInRed is just a hit 'n' run Rolling Eyes

registered just to make this post Laughing

4,282 posts since Apr '04
    • For IT, I would put SP in the 3rd or 4th place.

For Engineering, I would put NTU in the 1st place.

15,021 posts since Apr '03
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    246,776 posts since Dec '99
    • i can oso do a ranking when i found out the percentage of chest haired guys in all the institutions

4,069 posts since May '04
    • these rankings must be based on a "1st choice applicants tally"

yes totally agree with the rankings for poly.
      i saw the statistics and know some of the info cos of my CCA nature..
      well cannot divulge lar secret ma..

the rankings are correct.. all i can say is NP is extremely close to SP and might overtake within the next 3 years provided they keep up the pace since 2001 Mr. Green

472 posts since Oct '04
    • Originally posted by extremex:
      these rankings must be based on a "1st choice applicants tally"

yes totally agree with the rankings for poly.
      i saw the statistics and know some of the info cos of my CCA nature..
      well cannot divulge lar secret ma..

the rankings are correct.. all i can say is NP is extremely close to SP and might overtake within the next 3 years provided they keep up the pace since 2001 Mr. Green

*nods head* NP rules. Very Happy

15,863 posts since Apr '02
    45,943 posts since Jul '04
    15,863 posts since Apr '02
    • Originally posted by monkeybusiness:
      wa lau... tp in 3rd place... me from tp leh... dun giv face Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Mr. Green

I also from TP Mad

2,716 posts since Oct '04
    • Rank simi Rank.

We shd do away with this entire ranking system. It serves little purpose. Besides, they are not always precise or accurate.

Please Login or Signup to reply.