26 May, 08:22AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

should teachers be allowed to punished harshly in school?

Subscribe to should teachers be allowed to punished harshly in school? 1,172 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    2,223 posts since Feb '06
    • harlo!!! yupyup...for the old-timers in sgforums...u may find tis familiar...but i juz tot i will post tis in a diff. forum...

all of us i believe have had our fair share of being punished in school. some punishments r more physical while others more psychological...physical ones include caning, CWO, kneeling or standing for long periods etc...psychological ones like pulling of ears, facing the wall, being ask to sing in front of whole class etc...i personally feel tat diff. punishments shld vary wif the severity of offences n the age of the student involved...surely u wun wanna shame a university student by punishing him like a primary schoolboy?
      below is a true account of a student i noe who was punished by a teacher...he was punished for spewing 1 word of vulgarity...

student: @#%()&*&^%$%^*
      teacher: U!!! COME HERE!!! HOW DARE U SAY TAT!!! COME HERE!!!
      boy approaches n teacher scolded: WAD DID U SAY JUZ NW?! I DARE U TO REPEAT WAD U SAID JUZ NW!!!
      STUDENT: i didnt say anything...
      teacher: DUN DENY IT ALRITE!!! I HEARD WAD U SAID!!! I HEARD U!!!(pulls student to 1 corner) SLAP URSELF!!! SLAP!!! KEEP ON SLAPPING!!
      (abt 10 min later) teacher: U R NT SLAPPING...U R PATTING!!!(pulls student out of class) dun wanna slap rite...face the whole school n slap...
      in the end, DM happen to walk pass...teacher complained abt student to him n student was caned in front of whole class...
      after the caning...
      teacher: COME HERE!!! (pulls student to one corner) STAND HERE N CONTINUE TO SLAP URSELF!!! I WANT SLAPS NT PATS!!! (student began to slap himself) U CALL TAT SLAPPING? HARDER!!! (student slaps harder) ALRITE!!! KEEP IT TAT WAY!!!

after abt 5min...
      teacher(points finger at student): U R NT SLAPPING AGAIN!!! I TOLD U TO SLAP HARD RITE!!! HOW DARE U DISOBEY MY ORDERS!!! DO U WANT ANOTHER ROUND OF PUBLIC CANING??? (student began slapping himself hard again) MAKE SURE U KEEP TIS UP UNTIL I SAY U CAN STOP, ONE MORE TIME...N U WILL GET IT FROM ME!!! I WANT EVERY SLAP TO BE EQUALLY HARD, DO U UNDERSTAND???

in the end, student was made to slap himself for another 10-15 min...he had red cheeks after tat n had teary eyes...thru out the time, we could hear the slaps coming from his cheeks...the teacher kept an eye on him at regular intervals to ensure every slap was hard, she gave him no chance to slack at all...wad r ur views abt tis? was the teacher too harsh? was the student deserving of the punishment? air them here...

Edited by despondent 30 Aug `07, 12:48AM
    43,431 posts since Aug '05
    47,787 posts since Apr '05
    • i think detention is good enough. whats the use of punishing when the student doesn’t see his mistakes.. more often then not, if the student is punished and made to lose face, chances are that he’ll hate the teacher even more.

4,398 posts since Nov '04
    15,891 posts since May '06
    37,612 posts since Mar '05
    28,364 posts since Mar '03
    • when i was in sec 2, my geography teacher was an abuser..

he was the teacher in charge of NCC, and apprently he was a very violent person.

Whenever he saw my classmate nv bring textbook to class, or not handing up homework etc, he will kick the tables and chairs to far far away, scream at the top of his voice, throw things to the student etc..

i was terrified all the time.. coz me suay suay sit right in front of him, everytime kena tho I was innocent..

1,434 posts since Jan '06
    • last time pri sch most f**k up 1... when u fight wif another person, e teacher will tell u if gt any prob no needa fight 1... can always go find e teacher...

den when u go find e teacher, he/she will tell u tt u r a big kid nw. GO SOLVE E PROB URSELF... WTF.. Rolling Eyes

• so do u guys tink tat the teacher over-reacted? tat she was unreasonable? i feel the caning was unreasonable…but the slapping…well, maybe its an appropriate punishment though it was harsh…

239 posts since Dec '04
    • You have to understand that for a lot of students it is near impossible to control them if you don't punish then harshly in school. Kids nowadays are all spoilt brats and will not listen to you unless you can teach them to fear you.

Having said that there's a limit to how far they can go.............. going around kicking tables and chairs is obviously too much.

• to nonameguy

but u also must understand the kind of punishment the teacher meted out...she was dealing a psychological n physical punishment at the same time...
      psychological: shaming the student wif the slapping in front of whole class...
      physical: the pain inflicted from the slaps...

from the case, we can see tat the teacher was expecting proper slaps from the student...imagine slapping hard for 10min? tats y i said it was harsh...but appropriate also cos of the nature of the offence...vulgarities came out from mouth so mouth deserve to be punished...slapping...

16,378 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by missqi:
      Punishments should be abolished!
      they were never effective.
      On me.
      Very Happy

i know Laughing

3,220 posts since Nov '05
    • New form of punishment (in PC lab ) :

Teacher: You! NEver hand in homework! I want u to surf SGForum's bar and read the horny posts now!

*after 10 mins, student stuffs hand inside his pants and starts rubbing *

Teacher : *pulls student's hand out * No masturbating! Continue reading!

*30 min lapsed and the student's didi cannot tahan liao *

Student(in tears ): Sorry teacher...I wun forget to hand up homework next time!

Teacher: Ok, u may relieve yourself now....

*student drops pants and starts wanking furiously *

Teacher: Class, anyone who doesn't hand up homework in future will end up like him, understand?

Class: Shocked Yes 'Cher.... Shocked

601 posts since Jun '05
    • Call the Nude, I mean New Paper?

Hey, whatever happen to the girl who got beaten up by the 4 girls at the staircase? thought the police was 'looking' into it? so now no more case ah? And the boy who was beaten up by the teacher cause he refuse to remove the red string from his hand? both school pretending nothing happened? Maybe it better in naming the school out in the paper, so that some answer can be provided ah. In anyway, MOE most likely will cover up for the school.

35,169 posts since Apr '03
    • With the brats I see these days, sometimes I would rather quarter them and spike them up the ramparts. Mad

394 posts since Aug '06
    • i primary 2 i scold F word to my fren cuz he push my chair purposely. then he complain to teacher. the teacher treat me 40cents drink and go canteen talk to me. Razz btw i oso 4got how i learn the F word when im in P2 =.=

2,131 posts since Apr '05
    • I think the teacher in this case is not doing the right thing. He should’ve talked nicely to the student and find out what’s the cause of the outburst, and explained to him rationallly and calmly why it’s wrong to use vulgarities. If the student is recalcitrant then he should be referred to the OM or the DM. The actions of the teacher in this case are too confrontational. It doesn’t help anyone one bit.

68,869 posts since Dec '03
    590 posts since Jul '06
    • IMO the teacher is just being silly.

Dun tell me the teacher doesn't use the F word or any other vulgaritites in his/her whole life b4. Its part and parcel of life every1 goes tru. punishing student for scolding vulgarities are simply nonsense.

She could have just made it clear to the class that she doesnt mind students scolding vulgarities but not in her class when she's around to hear them.

this way she gains students repect which boost up her popularity lvl in school among students too. keep in mind no matter which era u are in. students will always be students. they are rebellious in a way or another. its how u mix with them to make them respect u, and punishment is definately not the way to win their trust.

3,220 posts since Nov '05
    • Originally posted by ditzy:
      Just expel them from school straight, let them be road sweepers in the future. Laughing

Boh Tak Chek, confirm will become road sweepers meh? Laughing

There are lots of alternate career paths for them mah...

such as:

1) Toilet Cleaner

2) Karang Guni

3) Robber

4) Thief

5) Beggar

Laughing

38,856 posts since Dec '02
    • Originally posted by boredandsleepy:
      IMO the teacher is just being silly.

Dun tell me the teacher doesn't use the F word or any other vulgaritites in his/her whole life b4. Its part and parcel of life every1 goes tru. punishing student for scolding vulgarities are simply nonsense.

She could have just made it clear to the class that she doesnt mind students scolding vulgarities but not in her class when she's around to hear them.

this way she gains students repect which boost up her popularity lvl in school among students too. keep in mind no matter which era u are in. students will always be students. they are rebellious in a way or another. its how u mix with them to make them respect u, and punishment is definately not the way to win their trust.

but what happens when it is already said out with the teacher hearing it?

3,812 posts since Oct '05
    • There is this fucked up teacher that taught me before, i wont go through the details about why hes fucked up.But even i heard my ex-POA teacher saying "Siao da bor" softly to herself when she saw him acting strange.

He kept issuing threats to this one in a sec 4 class, e.g.i wont give you your testimonial blah blah blah and always pick on him for no reason.Then one day he said"I will not issue you your testimonial."Then he said"What did i do."Then the teacher accused him of being rude and asked the class to be a witness.The boy got dulan and stabbed him on the shoulder with a pen and the teacher retaliated by punching him in the mouth.AIya long story..

372 posts since May '05

• I dun understand why students are expecting teachers to go soft on them these days when they are becoming more wild and disrespectful... I suggest the students who complain so much about their teachers to go n reflect on their own behaviour first b4 even making any comments...

IMO, I agree that teachers should only resort to physical punishments as the last alternative... but going by how unruly students can be these days, i also think that it is most unfair to ask a teacher to back down and talk "nicely"...

students are forever demanding to be understood.. but take a moment to ask urselves.. hv u ever put urself in the teacher's position? how would u like to have someone toking back to you or shouting vulgarities? would YOU be able to tolerate it?? Confused

1,614 posts since Jan '05
    • Originally posted by markzz:
      Boh Tak Chek, confirm will become road sweepers meh? Laughing

There are lots of alternate career paths for them mah...

such as:

1) Toilet Cleaner

2) Karang Guni

3) Robber

4) Thief

5) Beggar

Laughing

but have to bear in mind not to just rob $10 and get caught by the police instantly..

6,492 posts since Nov '03
Please Login or Signup to reply.