02 Sep, 02:24AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Wedding ang pow advice

Subscribe to Wedding ang pow advice 54 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    2,974 posts since Sep '04
    • I'm receiving quite a few wedding invitations this year. But I need advice on below as it is my first time:

1) church wedding with lunch reception - how much to give?

2) colleague's solemnization & dinner at posh hotel (sianz...actually not very close and I'm not even sure if I like her very much) first time attending colleague's wedding - how much to give I'm not sure?

3,053 posts since Jan '08
    • Originally posted by pigsticker:

1) 60-80.. but also depends on how close...

2) 80

Just thought I need to clarify -

1) I'm bringing my partner for this one

2) i'm going alone

25,805 posts since Dec '99
    6,527 posts since May '08
    • Originally posted by foxwalk:

I'm receiving quite a few wedding invitations this year. But I need advice on below as it is my first time:

1) church wedding with lunch reception - how much to give?

2) colleague's solemnization & dinner at posh hotel (sianz...actually not very close and I'm not even sure if I like her very much) first time attending colleague's wedding - how much to give I'm not sure?

1) 88

2) 100

Just thought I need to clarify -

1) I'm bringing my partner for this one

2) i'm going alone

1) 128

2) 100

• Originally posted by Hello Kitty:

which hotel?

on which day?

let's just say one of the hotels in orchard .. on weekday

y canot say?

diff hotels at orchard diff rates leh.

i dunno who's reading this..

6,527 posts since May '08

y canot say?

diff hotels at orchard diff rates leh.

correct !

i dunno who's reading this..

machiam like got people noe ur nick is who is who... n u oso no need to say date and day what...

• actually i decide by the closeness of the people whose wedding i'm going...

close friends i can give up to 120 irregardless of place... very close can give even more...

if not close, i just give 80 standard...

• actually i dun get why i shd always give enough to match how much they spend. i din ask to be invited, i din ask to go to an expensive place. and it's not like i need to return the favor.. because i held my wedding... only ROM followed by dinner with small group of family and friends.. that was a few yrs ago. my mum stopped bugging me to get a chinese wedding dinner... which suits me fine, because i dun think it makes sense to blow so much money on just one night (and I dun even think I will enjoy myself, and I'm sure i dun like the attention), and it doesn't make sense to go backward now that we have made progress in our marriage ... I want a wedding?

So, bottom line is i think it's just sad if i need to cough up $ just so people can have their grand weddings which i dun really care about, (unless it's a close friend), and yet since it's a colleague i see everyday it's hard to reject and not go... why cant people be more discriminate in who they invite? it's like they dun hav anybody to invite, that's why they need to invite so many colleagues... or because it's perceived as easy money.. wtf

• Originally posted by Rednano:

machiam like got people noe ur nick is who is who... n u oso no need to say date and day what...

yeah my nick is quite consistent.. i din go get clone names just to post this..

actually i dun get why i shd always give enough to match how much they spend. i din ask to be invited, i din ask to go to an expensive place. and it's not like i need to return the favor.. because i held my wedding... only ROM followed by dinner with small group of family and friends.. that was a few yrs ago. my mum stopped bugging me to get a chinese wedding dinner... which suits me fine, because i dun think it makes sense to blow so much money on just one night (and I dun even think I will enjoy myself, and I'm sure i dun like the attention), and it doesn't make sense to go backward now that we have made progress in our marriage ... I want a wedding?

So, bottom line is i think it's just sad if i need to cough up $ just so people can have their grand weddings which i dun really care about, (unless it's a close friend), and yet since it's a colleague i see everyday it's hard to reject and not go... why cant people be more discriminate in who they invite? it's like they dun hav anybody to invite, that's why they need to invite so many colleagues... or because it's perceived as easy money.. wtf

if they invite one of your colleagues but not you, how would you think?

and if you're so unwilling to pay, then just reject by saying you got something on that day and can't make it.. no one can force you to go...

• Originally posted by pigsticker:

if they invite one of your colleagues but not you, how would you think?

and if you're so unwilling to pay, then just reject by saying you got something on that day and can't make it.. no one can force you to go...

i'm fine..

i think $100 is as much as I will go for this case... just not sure if it's too little..

Edited by foxwalk 14 Sep `08, 2:27AM
    40,791 posts since Apr '06
    40,791 posts since Apr '06

me lealli dun undrstd ppl like u.

http://sgforums.com/forums/8/topics/327836

since u're so reluctant to part wif ur $$$, juz say u're nt gng.

& while u're at it, rem to gib a S$60 ang pao.

dat'll save u time, $$$ & ur grouses.

because only in singapore, are you expected to give enough money to cover wedding expenses for your share

because only in singapore, are many people out to gain profit from holding a wedding

because only in singapore, are wedding gifts in the form of money the norm'

Ok, maybe not only singapore, but this is just not right..

totally defeats the point

• i wonder who holds weeding dinners to make money...

so far, no one that i know off has made money from their dinner.. the only reason why everyone holds it is to make their parents happy and for face...

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    245,304 posts since Dec '99
Please Login or Signup to reply.