01 Aug, 11:55PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Wedding ang pow advice

Subscribe to Wedding ang pow advice 54 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    1,344 posts since Dec '01
    • Originally posted by pigsticker:

i wonder who holds weeding dinners to make money...

so far, no one that i know off has made money from their dinner.. the only reason why everyone holds it is to make their parents happy and for face...

got la i know of someone doing wedding buffet lunch which is about 60/pax but she went around telling ppl it's 80...yup she profitted.

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    244,924 posts since Dec '99
    • nowadays couples are like tt one lah
      wanna make money outta the wedding
      but depends on whether u have generous relatives or not loh

4 posts since Nov '08
    • Help. Ex-colleague's wedding lunch at Four Seasons Hotel tomorrow. The mere thought that it's a 5-Star Alliance hotel is daunting. We're not close, but we stay in touch.

Need help with how much to slip into the ang pao...Thanks very much in advance!

8,961 posts since Sep '04
    4 posts since Nov '08
    • Sorry, maybe I wasn't being very clear.

I've never attended a Chinese wedding at the Four Seasons before, and I've been asking around about the ang pao market rate for weddings held there. But no one has been able to give me an accurate range. I have no idea where else to continue asking or how to start calculating wedding ang pao rates (if there is even such a thing).

I want to give a reasonable ang pao for my ex-colleague, even though I belong to the "junior staff with moderate income" category and not much balance left now in my savings account to boast about. He belongs to the higher income group and well-to-do family, while I don't.

That is all. I'm asking very nicely already. Just don't associate me with the one who started this thread. Thanks very much for your response, anyway, Mancha. Nice shot of sarcasm there, first thing in the morning, and not much information that might help me one bit.

Four Seasons is 5-Star, isn't it? The range that people have been giving me are like SGD 60-80 for a wedding lunch held there. Some say SGD 80 is good enough. How do I calculate how much I should give? This kind of information is good to know for a goondu like me. At the end of the day I'll probably be slipping in something like between SGD 100-150 for him. After that I can forgo lunch until my next pay-day. Yes, it is that bad for me.

So can anyone assist? If not then please save your respective snide remarks (if any) for others. Thanks very much...

Edited by Kokeshi 15 Nov `08, 9:58AM
    2,468 posts since May '01
    • Originally posted by Kokeshi:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being very clear.

I've never attended a Chinese wedding at the Four Seasons before, and I've been asking around about the ang pao market rate for weddings held there. But no one has been able to give me an accurate range. I have no idea where else to continue asking or how to start calculating wedding ang pao rates (if there is even such a thing).

I want to give a reasonable ang pao for my ex-colleague, even though I belong to the "junior staff with moderate income" category and not much balance left now in my savings account to boast about. He belongs to the higher income group and well-to-do family, while I don't.

That is all. I'm asking very nicely already. Just don't associate me with the one who started this thread. Thanks very much for your response, anyway, Mancha. Nice shot of sarcasm there, first thing in the morning, and not much information that might help me one bit.

Four Seasons is 5-Star, isn't it? The range that people have been giving me are like SGD 60-80 for a wedding lunch held there. Some say SGD 80 is good enough. How do I calculate how much I should give? This kind of information is good to know for a goondu like me. At the end of the day I'll probably be slipping in something like between SGD 100-150 for him. After that I can forgo lunch until my next pay-day. Yes, it is that bad for me.

So can anyone assist? If not then please save your respective snide remarks (if any) for others. Thanks very much...

u already say people tell u 60-80 good enough. Then why are u still posting here asking, and saying u'll end up giving 100-150? U very contradicting rite

17,875 posts since Jun '05
    • Market changed.

And no. Four Seasons cannot justify 60-80.

Make it a $100 instead if you going alone.

4 posts since Nov '08
    • Contradicting then contradicting lah.

I really, really, really don't know how to calculate Chinese wedding ang pao rates, and this kind of information is really good knowledge for "contradictory" people like me.

At least from there and going forward, I can make a much more informed decision on how much I should and/or can really afford to give for Chinese wedding ang paos, especially during times when I'm on a tight budget. I'm getting tired of being constantly asked how much to give for a wedding ang pao, when I myself don't know. For once, I would like to know.

The people who tell me that SGD 60-80 is good enough for today's event, may not really know what's a proper amount to give for weddings held at such venues. To them it may be a matter of personal view on how much one should give, not so much to do with market rate.

But what is a "Chinese wedding ang pao market rate"? How do I calculate it? Is there a formula? Do I also have to consider the venue/s before I can make a judgement call how much I should give? What? I went straight to the point asking how much I should give for Chinese wedding lunches held at the Four Seasons Hotel, because I thought there were people who would understand where I'm coming from and actually respond proper without being so presumptious... So, again, very sorry if I wasn't being very clear at first.

Yes, it's either I help my ex-colleague have a grand day or I don't. But like I said, my asking such things is also good information for me. I repeat - I. Really. Don't. Know. How. To. Calculate Chinese wedding ang pao rates.

So can anyone help to answer that simple, general question of how much to give, or how to calculate, should I consider venue. Just give me a damn formula or something lah... Thanks.

• See? So simple!

Thanks very much, viciouskitty74!!! Got formula...? :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Market changed.

30,628 posts since Jul '07

First, you must ask yourself, what is your status and your relationship with the person gettting marry. Like me, a lady boss, whenever staff getting marry and invited me, i have to slip in at least $200, I dun care whether it is a 5 stars 6 stars or no stars.

The relationship determine your ang pow, if it is just mere frens, $80 will do, not to worry if it is a 5 or 6 stars, the couples must be capable and rich to invite at a 6 stars hotel, they dun expect an increase in ang pow, they just want a nice memorable and grand wedding, beside the credit crisis and the recession are here, dun expect too much in ang pow.

If me get marry, just put tent outside my Joo chiat house can liao,...why give hotels earn.

See? So simple!

Market changed.

You can also give $20,, but sit outside

17,875 posts since Jun '05

See? So simple!

Formula: How much a table charge and then maybe you top up $20/-

eg. table is $800 per table, so you as a member of the 10 person in that table contribute minimum $80.

• The iPhone Pig
    6,506 posts since Sep '04

No worries, mate.

Will you be attending alone or with a partner? If you're going alone, $60 will suffice. While it's good that you're gentlemanly and all, do spare a thought for your own basic needs.

• Originally posted by foxwalk:

I'm receiving quite a few wedding invitations this year. But I need advice on below as it is my first time:

1) church wedding with lunch reception - how much to give?

2) colleague's solemnization & dinner at posh hotel (sianz...actually not very close and I'm not even sure if I like her very much) first time attending colleague's wedding - how much to give I'm not sure?

So kang kor.

Just don't go - it must be very hard on you. icon_rolleyes.gif

• Originally posted by Detached:

So kang kor.

Just don't go - it must be very hard on you. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ya hor, dun go also good, just ask frens to give $60 or $40 dollars can liao, then the extra $40 can go eat at hawker centre good foods with frens or family...yeah!!!

Anyway 5 to 6 stars Hotel wedding foods sucks.

• The iPhone Pig
    6,506 posts since Sep '04
    • Originally posted by angel7030:

Ya hor, dun go also good, just ask frens to give $60 or $40 dollars can liao, then the extra $40 can go eat at hawker centre good foods with frens or family...yeah!!!

Anyway 5 to 6 stars Hotel wedding foods sucks.

What's with people these days? Tsk.

• Originally posted by Detached:

What's with people these days? Tsk.

you dunno meh, today got people only, but to human liao

25,805 posts since Dec '99
    1,278 posts since Nov '06
    • My understanding from reading your posts is that you are quite unwilling to go.

In this circumstances, I think u can consider the option of not going.

Perhaps you can politely come up with a white lie as an excuse.

I think you will be fine with that. And they will also be fine. My feeling is that people will be forgiving of other people who do not like to attend gatherings or parties, etc.

So just think about this.

Or....if you think that you "must" go and the option of delicately excusing yourself is not going to be positively received....well...just go then...just go and enjoy your time, listen to the music, eat good food, spend time there relaxing...hmm? Dont think too much about it.

16,378 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by foxwalk:

actually i dun get why i shd always give enough to match how much they spend. i din ask to be invited, i din ask to go to an expensive place. and it's not like i need to return the favor.. because i held my wedding... only ROM followed by dinner with small group of family and friends.. that was a few yrs ago. my mum stopped bugging me to get a chinese wedding dinner... which suits me fine, because i dun think it makes sense to blow so much money on just one night (and I dun even think I will enjoy myself, and I'm sure i dun like the attention), and it doesn't make sense to go backward now that we have made progress in our marriage ... I want a wedding?

So, bottom line is i think it's just sad if i need to cough up $ just so people can have their grand weddings which i dun really care about, (unless it's a close friend), and yet since it's a colleague i see everyday it's hard to reject and not go... why cant people be more discriminate in who they invite? it's like they dun hav anybody to invite, that's why they need to invite so many colleagues... or because it's perceived as easy money.. wtf

why bother its a close colleague anot...just say not free lor. done that so many times liao icon_lol.gif

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • I poor fella, I standard give SGD80 nia no matter where is the venue for Chinese Wedding dinner.

Edited by yamizi 18 Nov `08, 11:32AM
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • as i mentioned earlier and 2836476235476 times before
      there is no standard formula to calculate the accurate ang pao amount

just go by ur gut feel and how close u are to the couple
      and oso ur ability

less headaches and less such threads
      and less couples who are trying to earn money from weddings

Edited by FireIce 18 Nov `08, 11:34AM
    2,749 posts since Jun '08
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

as i mentioned earlier and 2836476235476 times before
      there is no standard formula to calculate the accurate ang pao amount

just go by ur gut feel and how close u are to the couple

less headaches and less such threads
      and less couples who are trying to earn money from weddings

And less irratable people coming to post on such threads and less people give angpow and less people getting married.

• Originally posted by Beautiful951:

And less irratable people coming to post on such threads and less people give angpow and less people getting married.

you can always get married without throwing dinner what

even if you want to throw a dinner, it should out of the good will in inviting your loved ones to celebrate the cause, not out to earn monie

Please Login or Signup to reply.