26 Jun, 04:42PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Enforce compulsory after lunch naps?

Subscribe to Enforce compulsory after lunch naps? 16 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    180 posts since Apr '09
    • According to doctors and scientists, the risk of heart diseases and other related ailments will be greatly reduced if a person took a power nap of 20-25 minutes a while after their lunches. The person will be greatly refreshed, and have enough energy to last him till after school or after work.

I have been to Taiwan a couple of times to live and do my internships (i've been there about 7 times already, total duration about 2 years). In the companies I work in, the bosses encourage their workers to take a 20 minute nap after lunch so that they can be refreshed and energized to work after lunch. As you all know, people tend to get very sleepy during the afternoon, so in order to curb this problem, why not enhance productivity by allowing them to sleep 20 minutes after lunch?

Not only at work places, they have also compulsory naps for students in Taiwan. Usually it will be after lunch, and all in an effort to make them feel refreshed so that they can focus on their lessons.

Perhaps it can be experimented here in singapore schools?

68,867 posts since Dec '03
    • Even without the lunch nap, I still have enough energy for the entire day and beyond, even if I played WoW till 3am last night.icon_lol.gif

287 posts since Feb '07
    • haha. i've been to taiwan on an immersion program, and also experienced their enforced sleeping sessions.

In taiwan schools, the standard lunch time is about 30min, followed by a 20min compulsory sleeping sessions ( where the discipline officers would patrol the classrooms to ensure that people are actually sleeping ).

I believe that this approach is probably not feasible in Singapore for this following reasons

1. It is not feasible for primary schools because school start/end during lunch time

2. Lessons also usually end by lunch for secondary school. This is compared with taiwan school days which end about 5pm where they DO need the sleeping time

3. Lunch time for JC is about 50mins. This equals the combined lunch+sleeping time for Taiwanese students. JC students CAN have their lunch, followed by their nap. However, this makes little difference since a JC student is likely to have free periods in which they could sleep if they choose to. The ever changing classroom venues also helps to keep the student awake.

4.  There is insufficient manpower to enforce such a system. We do not have a discipline-officer system in Singapore, and teachers already have more than enough work on hand.

5. Such a system would not be welcomed by all

- some students prefer to use their lunch time to catch up with their revision

- some students refuse to sleep, and hence more manpower would be needed to
      make sure they comply ( There were many such people in the taiwanese class i was in, and the school i was in was considered quite prestigious )

5,189 posts since Oct '05
    • Originally posted by ditzy:

Even without the lunch nap, I still have enough energy for the entire day and beyond, even if I played WoW till 3am last night.icon_lol.gif

wah you sleep so late one eh, not good for your memory. you got sleep deficit.

43,431 posts since Aug '05
    7,238 posts since Jul '00
    • In Singapore's companies and schools, the problem is nap where?  Sure the power nap will refresh people, but chances are, chronic neck pains will increase due to bad sleeping postures. 

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    262,715 posts since Dec '99
    1,214 posts since Jan '08
    • i support TS.

if companies can just give 10 mins of nap 1.5 hours after lunch when we are at our sleepiest, it would be great.

16,075 posts since Sep '08
    2,023 posts since Sep '07
    68,867 posts since Dec '03
    • Originally posted by marcteng:

wah you sleep so late one eh, not good for your memory. you got sleep deficit.

Har? What? Did I say something?icon_lol.gif

5,423 posts since Aug '05
    1,563 posts since Sep '07
    • Last time i went china for biz trip. At lunchtime, the secretary went underneath the table and slept on the cardboard. I was a bit shocked hehe.

177 posts since May '09
    • But I wonder where people should sleep?

Last time when I was studying, I couldnt sleep even if I wanted to, because there was no pillow and all sorts of postures I tried hurt.

7,075 posts since Jan '07
    177 posts since May '09
Please Login or Signup to reply.