24 Jul, 10:08AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

UniSIM vs SMa's Murdoch Uni

Subscribe to UniSIM vs SMa's Murdoch Uni 20 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    2,796 posts since Nov '04
    • I grad with an Advanced Diploma in Mass Communication from a private school.

I am eligible for the part-time undergrad courses in UniSIM under the 40% govt. subsidy.

I would like to pursue a part-time Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource. I am considering that.
      Cost: Approx. 18k (aft 40% govt subsidy)

On the other hand, I may wanna go to SMa’s Murdoch Uni to take a double major – BA in Human Resource with minor in BA in Journalism.
      Cost: Approx. 26k

I was advised UniSIM degrees are only recognized in Spore and not in other countries. Also, if I’m gonna take my SIM degree and apply for Master’s Degree in a foreign uni, they may reject me because they don’t recognize it.

Moreover, if I were to compete in a job application in HR in Spore with someone who has an overseas-accredited (degrees from foreign uni), I will lose out, be it govt. sector or pte. sector.

I’m at the cross-roads, in a dilemma with these 2 options. Which one should I take?

5,194 posts since Oct '05
    • take SIM Uni better. the faclities at SIM is much bigger. go look at SMA classrooms and you will know. some more subsidised by gov.

Edited by marcteng 30 Jul `09, 5:44PM
    • Originally posted by marcteng:

take SIM Uni better. the faclities at SIM is much bigger. go look at SMA classrooms and you will know. some more subsidised by gov.

hmmm.. facilities doesn't really bother me. the subsidy is something which attracts me. another thing is its 'apparent' reputation as Spore's 4th Uni, albeit being private. But... 1. I just wanna know abt the recognition in terms of applying for jobs - in spore (govt. and pte. sector) and in overseas. 2. also, the recognition when applying for a Master's degree in a foreign uni.

• Originally posted by trendz:

hmmm.. facilities doesn't really bother me. the subsidy is something which attracts me. another thing is its 'apparent' reputation as Spore's 4th Uni, albeit being private. But... 1. I just wanna know abt the recognition in terms of applying for jobs - in spore (govt. and pte. sector) and in overseas. 2. also, the recognition when applying for a Master's degree in a foreign uni.

Harvard and Stanford are private world class universities in a short span of time in the US. most preferred private than public uni in US, as the private uni has their own autonomy than the public to plan their curriculum and the way they run their programmes. another factor that the public  uni tend to cater to the masses or population, as compared to the elite and the rich opting for private. this does not apply to singapore though. 

even though it is private and only existed for a few years as compared to murdoch, one is on campus and the other is off campus aka distance learning. facilities such as classroom, library, admin office are important considerations to consider as well.

Edited by marcteng 30 Jul `09, 6:07PM
    241 posts since Apr '09
    • I made an enquiry & was told that Unisim only recognises a local Poly diploma? R u sure they accept a pte institution's dip?

Govt sectors do recognise degree from foreign unis(distance learning) la..I know of many ppl who work in stat boards with these same degrees. It's better still if you get Honours & have gd working experience, testimonials etc..

Ya, u might want 2 think long term? What if u want 2 upgrade yrself? Then u find that u can't & are stuck? N r u sure our 3 local unis will accept Unisim grads applications for Masters programmes? It's all pretty vague..U did read the article (last year, I think) in Straits Times saying that 'S'pore only has 3 unis currently' SMU, NTU, & NUS. So where's Unisim in all this?

The staff told me that they only know of 1 former student who actually managed to get into a Master's programme, though I don't know which uni.

& SMA's facilities err..They don attract me..

Edited by MissZ 30 Jul `09, 9:00PM
    • Originally posted by MissZ:

I made an enquiry & was told that Unisim only recognises a local Poly diploma? R u sure they accept a pte institution's dip?

Govt sectors do recognise degree from foreign unis(distance learning) la..I know of many ppl who work in stat boards with these same degrees. It's better still if you get Honours & have gd working experience, testimonials etc..

Ya, u might want 2 think long term? What if u want 2 upgrade yrself? Then u find that u can't & are stuck? N r u sure our 3 local unis will accept Unisim grads applications for Masters programmes? It's all pretty vague..U did read the article (last year, I think) in Straits Times saying that 'S'pore only has 3 unis currently' SMU, NTU, & NUS. So where's Unisim in all this?

The staff told me that they only know of 1 former student who actually managed to get into a Master's programme, though I don't know which uni.

& SMA's facilities err..They don attract me..

i enquired and the part-time degree programme with the govt subsidy does recognize pte. dips as long as you've got 2 yrs of working experience, which i already have. i don't intend to study Master's in local unis. So i was asking with my UniSIM Bachelor's Degree, can i study Master's in another overseas private uni? Will the UniSIM Bachelor's Degree be recognized when applying for Master's in a foreign uni? And what is the employment rate for UniSIM Bach. Deg. holders?

98 posts since Jun '09

i enquired and the part-time degree programme with the govt subsidy does recognize pte. dips as long as you've got 2 yrs of working experience, which i already have. i don't intend to study Master's in local unis. So i was asking with my UniSIM Bachelor's Degree, can i study Master's in another overseas private uni? Will the UniSIM Bachelor's Degree be recognized when applying for Master's in a foreign uni? And what is the employment rate for UniSIM Bach. Deg. holders?

did u check if SIM Global has yr appropriate course(HR / journalism)?

I think its safer to go SIM Global if u want to get a Masters overseas in future as it is a Distance learning degree will foreign Uni partners.

• Originally posted by EtherealLife:

did u check if SIM Global has yr appropriate course(HR / journalism)?

I think its safer to go SIM Global if u want to get a Masters overseas in future as it is a Distance learning degree will foreign Uni partners.

I'm not taking Bachelor's Degree from SIM Global. I"m taking from UniSIM.

241 posts since Apr '09

I think they already explained to you ba..quote, ' was advised UniSIM degrees are only recognized in Spore and not in other countries. Also, if I’m gonna take my SIM degree and apply for Master’s Degree in a foreign uni, they may reject me because they don’t recognize it.'

I think you more or less know..only you want ppl to tell you Unisim, cos let's face it, it's CHEAP icon_biggrin.gif

But I personally have doubts about it's recognition..Most times when you apply for Masters, they'll want a degree from a 'reputable' uni. Don't tink Unisim is reputable?

Even when you ask the staff at Unisim about grad employment rate, they very vague de..

5,373 posts since Dec '00
    3,739 posts since Apr '09
    • Originally posted by MissZ:

I think they already explained to you ba..quote, ' was advised UniSIM degrees are only recognized in Spore and not in other countries. Also, if I’m gonna take my SIM degree and apply for Master’s Degree in a foreign uni, they may reject me because they don’t recognize it.'

I think you more or less know..only you want ppl to tell you Unisim, cos let's face it, it's CHEAP icon_biggrin.gif

But I personally have doubts about it's recognition..Most times when you apply for Masters, they'll want a degree from a 'reputable' uni. Don't tink Unisim is reputable?

Even when you ask the staff at Unisim about grad employment rate, they very vague de..

Here is a very interesting thing to let TS know.

When graduates holding a recognised degree take up PGDE courses at MOE to become teachers, they will be put on a GEO 1 salary scale. ( $2550~$2900 )

But from what I have heard on some other forums, people with uniSIM degrees have been put on a GEO 2 salary scale instead ( $1480~$1870 ).

See the difference?

• Originally posted by laoda99:

I got a fren whose murdoch's degree not recognised by MOE, so do be careful.

Same case as uniSIM degrees.

The best advice for TS is to find another uni instead of these two.

hmmm.. why isn't it not recognized by MOE? Isn't Murdoch Uni on the list of approved foreign unis?

• Originally posted by Forbiddensinner:

When graduates holding a recognised degree take up PGDE courses at MOE to become teachers, they will be put on a GEO 1 salary scale. ( $2550~$2900 )

But from what I have heard on some other forums, people with uniSIM degrees have been put on a GEO 2 salary scale instead ( $1480~$1870 ).

See the difference?

hmmm.. any justification or evidence? interesting though.

3,739 posts since Apr '09

hmmm.. any justification or evidence? interesting though.

Looking for that particular thread.

Will tell you when I find it.

• MOE has clarified the recognition of foreign degrees many times le. go to MOE website and read for yourself.

The degree in question has to be recognised by the state or country government ie their education ministry. MOE also said depends on the sg employer to recognise their qualifications or not.

3,115 posts since Jan '04
    • Originally posted by Forbiddensinner:

See the difference?

CEO 1 or 2 also depends other factors.

For new graduate, your ECAs, rank, award, appointment etc which display your leadership skill.

For mid-career ppl, your position, appointment, responsibility etc again to display your leadership skill. 

hmmm.. why isn't it not recognized by MOE? Isn't Murdoch Uni on the list of approved foreign unis?

I think the word ''recognised" is a misnomer here.

Even NUS degree can also not be "recognised" by MOE. For example, if you study Architecture, it is not rec by MOE. Logical, mah. What Archi got to do with teaching.

I think MOE will not discriminate one, base on which Uni he graduate but base on the things he study, having relevance to the teaching careers.

I also think you as a person in totality - your other archievement, skill , experience, drive etc will will determin their choice of hiring.   

Edited by 4sg 01 Aug `09, 7:23PM
    • Originally posted by marcteng:

MOE has clarified the recognition of foreign degrees many times le. go to MOE website and read for yourself.

The degree in question has to be recognised by the state or country government ie their education ministry. MOE also said depends on the sg employer to recognise their qualifications or not.

SMa School of Management is on the MOE approved list of private schools.

http://www.moe.edu.sg/education/private-education/files/school-list/commercial-o-z.doc

Murdoch University is stated under MOE approved list of external degree programmes.

http://www.moe.edu.sg/education/private-education/files/edp-list/edp-m-t.doc

Overseas Institution: Murdoch University, Australia Programme: Bachelor of Commerce major in Human Resource Management Local Representative: SMa School of Management Pte Ltd

Hi laoda99, pls refer to above posting of mine. So i'm wondering where did you friend took his degree from? what course?

Please Login or Signup to reply.