26 May, 08:16AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

How to ask my mother to include my name in the house

Subscribe to How to ask my mother to include my name in the house 19 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    587 posts since Nov '09
    • I am the only child and my parents are divorced. I stay with my mother and the house is under my mother name.

How should I ask her to include my name in the house? How to ask her in such ma way that she will not feel that I am eyeing her house/asset?

If she did not write a will and did not include my name in the house too, I think after she die the hdb flat will get confiscated by HDB right?

8,961 posts since Sep '04
    • Get her to sell you half the flat. You pay her with CPF money, i.e you transfer half  the CPF cost of the flat from your account to her account.

Have HDB list your mum and yourself as joint owners of the flat.

For joint ownership, the survivor gets all. That means if your mum dies the whole flat belongs to you. If you die, the whole flat belongs to your mum.

41,035 posts since Apr '06
    8,046 posts since May '06
    • Originally posted by keeptouch:

I am the only child and my parents are divorced. I stay with my mother and the house is under my mother name.

How should I ask her to include my name in the house? How to ask her in such ma way that she will not feel that I am eyeing her house/asset?

If she did not write a will and did not include my name in the house too, I think after she die the hdb flat will get confiscated by HDB right?

hmm

u got watch chinese tv drama  a not?

587 posts since Nov '09
    • Originally posted by gunner77:

Why do you want the house?

House so expensive. No money to buy so have to inherit the house from her lor

1,183 posts since Jan '03
    • If I were the mother, I wouldn't feel good about your reasoning even its for security.

If you are the only child, I think by default, the house will still be yours even though it is not in your name or willed to you.

Instead of worrying about housing security, I think you should work hard in your life and prove to your mother you can survive well on your own without her worrying.

6,266 posts since Oct '05
    • Originally posted by Eiizumi:

If I were the mother, I wouldn't feel good about your reasoning even its for security.

If you are the only child, I think by default, the house will still be yours even though it is not in your name or willed to you.

Instead of worrying about housing security, I think you should work hard in your life and prove to your mother you can survive well on your own without her worrying.

im with you. icon_wink.gif

9,803 posts since Dec '07
    • i recently came across a case of my friend

Parents died in a car accident.

house automatic transfer to my friend

as his sister is not as occupier in the house.

emmmm

just move house, then add name together la..

766 posts since Feb '08
    • no need to add name, you get the house after the probate should mummy pass on...after about a year. since you are the one child of a single parent, you sure get it, no sweat....the law defines so..

17,875 posts since Jun '05
    • You wont need to ask her to inlcude your name into the HDB flat.

You however, might need to advise your mother to do up a Last Will and Testament or at least update her CPF & insurance nominations.

Because even if she is divorced, when she passes on.  Her assets will automatically be spilt between her ex husband and children. 50 to 50%.

In other words, marriage invalidates any nomination and last wills.

But divorces does not.

1 post since Nov '05
    • it would be better to sit down and talk about it. you might just say it out straight instead of thinking of ideas to beat around the bush.

like what kitty said, it's better to put up a will or nomination so that in future, when she passes on, she can choose who to give her assets to. it's a wiser choice to go instead of asking her to put your name in. since you are the only child, chances are you will get all of her asset unless you are not in her books.

give her choices instead of telling her what to do (don't push her into a corner).

587 posts since Nov '09
    • Originally posted by viciouskitty74:

You wont need to ask her to inlcude your name into the HDB flat.

You however, might need to advise your mother to do up a Last Will and Testament or at least update her CPF & insurance nominations.

Because even if she is divorced, when she passes on.  Her assets will automatically be spilt between her ex husband and children. 50 to 50%.

In other words, marriage invalidates any nomination and last wills.

But divorces does not.

She has nominated me and my grandmother in 1994 to inherit her cpf money should she pass on.

Now still need to update again meh?

Anyway, the house use to be in my father and mother name. When they divorce, my father sold the house to my mother and he got remarried.

Like that the house will still be spilt between him and me meh?

• Originally posted by dukedracula:

no need to add name, you get the house after the probate should mummy pass on...after about a year. since you are the one child of a single parent, you sure get it, no sweat....the law defines so..

My grandmother is still alive.

If my mother pass away before her, maybe my grandmother will fight for me for the house?

My grandmother is the materalistic type and like money alot..she is something like Empress Dowager Cixi..old already but still want power and money..

9,803 posts since Dec '07
    587 posts since Nov '09
    • Originally posted by youyayu:

more like LKY icon_lol.gif

True. My grandmother is 77 years old. I think around the same age as LKY too

• Originally posted by youyayu:

i recently came across a case of my friend

Parents died in a car accident.

house automatic transfer to my friend

as his sister is not as occupier in the house.

emmmm

just move house, then add name together la..

My mother don't want to move house..

I think his sister if she want to go to court to fight the case she got chance to win de..

43 posts since May '09
    • Call HDB and check it out..Let them tell you the options.

Do not assume. We wish this and that.

If you got the wrong advise.. you will become poor and no house.

Not long time ago, a taxi uncle told me his father is sole owner of house and children are occupiers. After father passed on, children had to pay HDB again to keep the house. I do not know taxi uncle's account is accurate or not, better to check with HDB instead of guessing..

She will want you to have the house when she pass on. Go check it out how to make it happen. Its not cruel.

17,875 posts since Jun '05
    • Originally posted by keeptouch:

She has nominated me and my grandmother in 1994 to inherit her cpf money should she pass on.

Now still need to update again meh?

Anyway, the house use to be in my father and mother name. When they divorce, my father sold the house to my mother and he got remarried.

Like that the house will still be spilt between him and me meh?

HDB and CPF is different thing.

And you did not mention your own age which means I can only give you general answers.

So Yes.  The HDB flat could be under yours and your fathers name if she passes on.

And in the event that your grandmother survive, the CPF will pay out to you and your grandmother, and if you are below legal age, the finances will be managed by your grandmother till you turn 21.

587 posts since Nov '09
    • Originally posted by viciouskitty74:

HDB and CPF is different thing.

And you did not mention your own age which means I can only give you general answers.

So Yes.  The HDB flat could be under yours and your fathers name if she passes on.

And in the event that your grandmother survive, the CPF will pay out to you and your grandmother, and if you are below legal age, the finances will be managed by your grandmother till you turn 21.

I am 10 years younger than you.

Please Login or Signup to reply.