18 Sep, 11:30PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Cash Cheque $$$

Subscribe to Cash Cheque $$$ 17 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    4,682 posts since Oct '99
    • Anybody knows how Cheques work here?

In North America, if you are not a Payee and want to cash a cheque. You can ask the Payee to sign (endorse) the back of the cheque and the bank will cash your cheque even though you are not the Payee.

Does it work the same way here? Will it still work if there is "A/C Payee Only" marked on the cheque?

because I have a cheque going to my sister. She's is now pregnant and overseas and cannot travel till about 1 more year? She wants me to cash it for her but she does not have an open account in Singapore.

Any solution to this problem?

10,499 posts since Jul '01
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    245,635 posts since Dec '99
    13,150 posts since Dec '99
    • If the payee is your sister's name then there will be a bit of a problem.
      Can you bank into her account?

993 posts since Sep '01
    • Smile Sad

Originally posted by Ponders:
      Anybody knows how Cheques work here?

In North America, if you are not a Payee and want to cash a cheque. You can ask the Payee to sign (endorse) the back of the cheque and the bank will cash your cheque even though you are not the Payee.

Does it work the same way here? Will it still work if there is "A/C Payee Only" marked on the cheque?

because I have a cheque going to my sister. She's is now pregnant and overseas and cannot travel till about 1 more year? She wants me to cash it for her but she does not have an open account in Singapore.

Edited by sgboy 26 Apr `03, 7:22PM
    10,722 posts since Dec '01
    • Originally posted by Ponders:
      Anybody knows how Cheques work here?

emm...the way U put it...I take it as the check is to be sent to U in singapore and your sister is overseas and cannot be back in singapore in time to cash the check...that's why U need help...

One way I can think of is...depending on what's the issuing bank of the check...can see if U can send your sister the check then she cash it out from overseas...

Another way is for her to write U a letter of authorisation for U to cash it locally...but I suggest U call the local bank and see if they accept this kind of thing...
      Laughing Mr. Green

• Basically it's like this.

Payee is my sis. Cheque is sent to my house.

Sis is overseas, can't be back here till for another month.

So can i do anything that I get money off the cheque?

I am trying letter of authorisation. But I doubt it.
      ASking her to cash it overseas. I doubt it too.

Is there anything like endorsing the cheque so only bearers can cash it?

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    245,635 posts since Dec '99
    10,722 posts since Dec '01
      She's is now pregnant and overseas and cannot travel till about 1 more year?
      Originally posted by Ponders:

1 month can wait...check valid for 6 months...

if not take the easy way out...call your bank and ask...

Edited by Xcert 26 Apr `03, 8:08PM
    14,922 posts since Jan '02
    • she got a bank account in singapore rite?

just rite her acc no. at the back of the check and drop it into the cheque deposit box at the branch of her bank.
      then the nxt day just use atm card to withdraw the money loh

20,187 posts since Jan '03
    190 posts since Nov '02
      Basically it's like this.

Payee is my sis. Cheque is sent to my house.

So can i do anything that I get money off the cheque?

I am trying letter of authorisation. But I doubt it.
      ASking her to cash it overseas. I doubt it too.

Is there anything like endorsing the cheque so only bearers can cash it?

can check wif u if the bearer is cancelled??
      and if the chq got cross two lines at the top left edge of the chq??

• if the bearer is cancelled, i'm afraid u cannot encash it unless she do it herself... which is impossible as u had said.... and if its crossed at the top left edge then must bank into her a/c...

if she dun haf a/c here then y not ask ur sis to call up that company or the person who gives issue the chq n ask them if they can issue a new chq but payable in cash and that you will go n collect on behalf of her....(of cos rtn them tis chq as well lar..)

if they dun agree, then only way is to send it to ur sis. ask ur sis open an a/c at that country she in then bank in...BUT the money will only be credited to the a/c bout 4 to 6 wks time lor...which is very long.... AND there will be charges incurred....so if it is a small amt then its not worth it....

if ur sis will be back within 6 mths from the date of the chq then its ok cos chq can tahan 6 mths....

• Ok. i think i made a mistake just now.

My sis wun be back for a YEAR. She got no account here.

The cheque does not have "or bearer" on it.

IT's actually a refund cheque from good 'ol Singtel because we d/c our dial-up account.

And on it they put "A/C Payee Only. Not-negotiable" (that two stripes equivalent).

I guess i will just call the bank on monday.

Funny how chqueing law differs from country to country.

190 posts since Nov '02
      Ok. i think i made a mistake just now.

My sis wun be back for a YEAR. She got no account here.

The cheque does not have "or bearer" on it.

IT's actually a refund cheque from good 'ol Singtel because we d/c our dial-up account.

And on it they put "A/C Payee Only. Not-negotiable" (that two stripes equivalent).

I guess i will just call the bank on monday.

Funny how chqueing law differs from country to country.

no point callin the bank.... me work in the bank tats wat they goin to tell u.....

190 posts since Nov '02
Please Login or Signup to reply.