23 Oct, 08:13PM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Diploma sufficient?

Subscribe to Diploma sufficient? 29 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    160 posts since Sep '11
    • My first post : 

I am Sec 3 in NA stream, people who ask me about my future always tell me to plan ahead when I told them I have no idea.

So I am wondering, is a Diploma sufficient to stop pursuing studies and head straight into the working world? Understand that competition from other countries coming in, more competitive so must have higher qualification, but its quite troublesome to go through Uni, and not cheap either..

Should I stop at Polytechnic? My dad started out at Diploma cert. and now able to support the family quite well.. My idea hence came from him.

All suggestions welcomed, would like to hear some of your views. 

Thanks,

Marcus.

67,571 posts since Feb '08
    67,620 posts since Dec '03
    • Can! But you got ask yourself your dad how old, and you how old? Diplomas back then and now are 2 ends of the rainbow apart.

Sure, can support the family well now, but could it have been better? Would it be the same 10, 20, 40 years down?

Man, if this world stayed stagnant, it'll be perfect.

3,739 posts since Apr '09
    • Originally posted by Tmarcus:

My first post : 

I am Sec 3 in NA stream, people who ask me about my future always tell me to plan ahead when I told them I have no idea.

So I am wondering, is a Diploma sufficient to stop pursuing studies and head straight into the working world? Understand that competition from other countries coming in, more competitive so must have higher qualification, but its quite troublesome to go through Uni, and not cheap either..

Should I stop at Polytechnic? My dad started out at Diploma cert. and now able to support the family quite well.. My idea hence came from him.

All suggestions welcomed, would like to hear some of your views. 

Thanks,

Marcus.

Well, you must understand that your dad has been in his job for quite a number of years. He is likely to have started out small in the company as well, but slowly worked his way up.

However, a lot of companies no longer just look at how much effort you put in and how many years you work at their company - A lot depends on what certificate you are holding as well. To add on, they may also employ degree holders to take up positions higher than yours - something which may prevent you from being promoted.

ditzy has very good points as well - you can expect challenges from the many degree holders from China/India, and they are more than happy to ask for a lower pay than you, even though you are a diploma holder and they are degree holders. 

Going to uni is not cheap, but you can use your father's CPF. Of course, you can join teaching or nursing, where you are paid while you are studying. 

7,290 posts since Dec '09
    19,846 posts since Nov '06
    • Diploma is sufficient for you to land into a normal not so good paying job, not really enough to support a family in this times.

In a long run, diploma is NOT sufficient, i am doing my diploma now, my lecturers have been telling me their degree are getting common, and many with degrees are doing their masters. Some of my lecturers are doctorates. Like wad you said, some of them are Foreigners.

The reason why your father is able to support your family now is because he have been working for a long time, and there may be pay increment, etc. And back when he started out, having a diploma back then is quite 'big'.

If you want to be fast, finish your N levels, then O levels, then go to JC if you can handle the stress. However if you choose this route, you must get into Uni, because the variety of jobs A level cert can land you is lesser than a diploma(i may be wrong)

Then again, it seems like you have more interest in polytechnic education. Poly is not too bad, but you should put in consistant work in the 3 years. Then go to university(strongly recommended)

Oh wait, we lost 2 years cos of NS.

The thing is, diploma is only sufficient if you plan to just work for people.

If you really don't know how to plan ahead, my advise to you is: skip ITE(not because it's bad, it's to save time), get into poly/JC and Uni.

After degree, you can get a better paying job, then further your education. After few years of work, you can become a lecturer. They seemed to be quite well paid from what i know

Edited by MyPillowTalks 10 Sep `11, 11:36PM
    160 posts since Sep '11
    • Wah, after reading your replies, I am motivated to get a degree. Probably in those days, a Diploma was indeed a big thing..
      Don’t want to sound like a troll here, but I will try to make it the Polytechnic through N-Level ( There is a new system ). After polytechnic then see how from there.
      Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed comments!

38,115 posts since Jun '05
    • Dear Tmarcus,

I am glad that you intend to plan your education pathway early. Can you share with us about the new system? angel.png

Best regards,
      Chin Seng
      Homework Forum Moderator

160 posts since Sep '11
    • The new system allows the top 10% scorers of the whole N-Level candidates to be admitted into polytechnic immediately.. I may be wrong there, but thats what my form teacher tells us.

P.S. Sorry for late reply.
      Marcus.

1,806 posts since Jan '09
    • You should look into what do you want to do with your life? Different careers have different requirements.

If you wan to become an engineer, getting a degree, followed by master would be good for your career.

If you wan to be a chef, then getting a diploma would be more than sufficient.

If you want to be an insurance agent, then any diploma would be good.

If you dont know what you wan, then you study hard and give yourself more career options in the future. Spend sometimes doing holiday work to broaden your horizon and open your eyes. 

It is not that you get a degree means you will be very good.Even if you go to do ITE and become a car mechanic, you can open a workshop in the future. You can earn as well.

1,566 posts since Oct '06
    • It's not about the higher the qualifications, the merrier... It's about what career/job you want to do that require what kind of qualifications.

In one of my ex-companies, I've a doctorate colleague (Phd, yes you're reading correctly) doing sales/quota-driven kind of job. Overqualified!

The new system allows the top 10% scorers of the whole N-Level candidates to be admitted into polytechnic immediately.. I may be wrong there, but thats what my form teacher tells us.

Marcus.

You should ask your teacher about this. Currently, the univeristy entry score is compiled by O level grades and Poly GPA. So if you do a direct entry to poly, and skip O level, are you still qualify for Uni?

The new system allows the top 10% scorers of the whole N-Level candidates to be admitted into polytechnic immediately.. I may be wrong there, but thats what my form teacher tells us.

Marcus.

Dear Tmarcus,

Thank you for your reply. angel.png As far as I know, there is Direct Polytechnic Admission (DPA) that is similar to what you mentioned. The 10% could be insider's gauge.

Best regards,
      Chin Seng

• Originally posted by Lokey:

You should ask your teacher about this. Currently, the univeristy entry score is compiled by O level grades and Poly GPA. So if you do a direct entry to poly, and skip O level, are you still qualify for Uni?

Leave this question for me angel.png Will call the relevant authority and reply back asap.

Best regards,
      Chin Seng

2,694 posts since May '06
    • abit off topic....if u wanna hav a good pay, u need to keep changing job. work 2-3 yrs than change job. every job u change u can ask for 10-20% increment.

160 posts since Sep '11
    • Oh no… Teacher mislead us.
      Anyways, Thank you for going the extra mile to help me clarify with the authorities.

Edited by Tmarcus 11 Sep `11, 2:49PM
    • Dear Tmarcus,

Pelase forgive me for my lack of current knowledge.  Your teacher have not mislead you. After clarifying with my associates, it happen that it is indeed true that this 'new system' exist and will come to force in the year 2013.

Here is the source: http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/secondary/normal/changes/

This new sheme was briefly mentioned in the National Day Rally Speech.

Cheer!

Best regards,
      Chin Seng

• Originally posted by RaTtY8l:

abit off topic....if u wanna hav a good pay, u need to keep changing job. work 2-3 yrs than change job. every job u change u can ask for 10-20% increment.

Very true! icon_mrgreen.gif I would say 4-5 years. Try not to change too many jobs, it wouldn't look nice on the re`sume.

Edited by Darkness_hacker99 11 Sep `11, 3:43PM

Oh no… Teacher mislead us.
      Anyways, Thank you for going the extra mile to help me clarify with the authorities.

LOL. The teachers have misled you! This year Tmarcus is sec 3 NA (2011). Next year Sec 4 NA (2012), Sec 5 NA (2013). This means that you are one year late to enter this scheme.

But whether this scheme is enforced or not, I would advise you to take the O level.

Supposed you drop out from poly later, you still have your O level cert to wave around. If you take up this scheme, you will have your N level cert only.

40,822 posts since Apr '06
    • The new scheme no diff la

You go sec 5 then go poly is 4 years ( sec 5 + 3 years diploma )

you go via the new scheme you are going for 4 years poly (1st year is foundation in poly + 3 years diploma)

160 posts since Sep '11
    • Oh my…. Maybe I retain one year then can use the system, Haha!
      But seriously speaking, I will choose to do O-Level, then I would have N and O level Cetus to wave. This new system is rather redundant, to begin with.
      Either way will have to go through another 1 year.
      I only have myself to blame for, was too immature to take PSLE seriously when I was primary 6!
      Thanks for all of your replies,
      Marcus.

5 posts since Sep '11
    • dun listen to those what diploma not sufficient to live.

nonsense. it depends on how you manage your money. It is not possible for a country to have 100% degree holders. in a company, how many managers can there be? it's not that things are expensive. it's people are buying things beyond their means. so it depends on what you want in life. If simple living, O levels also enough.

789 posts since Nov '05

Oh my…. Maybe I retain one year then can use the system, Haha!
      But seriously speaking, I will choose to do O-Level, then I would have N and O level Cetus to wave. This new system is rather redundant, to begin with.
      Either way will have to go through another 1 year.
      I only have myself to blame for, was too immature to take PSLE seriously when I was primary 6!
      Thanks for all of your replies,
      Marcus.

Work hard and shine Tmarcus .I was from Normal Acad and go poly :)

You can do it x 45 

Normal Academic student go one year late in life but one year to learn the fundamental .

Steady and all the best !!

40,822 posts since Apr '06
    5 posts since Sep '11
    • O level is enough to get a job to survive. The pay is enough for your food and clothing. Don’t think too much about those luxuries.

Please Login or Signup to reply.