26 May, 08:09AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Anyone can help me please? (poly to JC)

Subscribe to Anyone can help me please? (poly to JC) 31 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    13 posts since Jul '12
    • Hi

This is my first year in polytechnic. Basically, I have no interest in the course though I'm doing very well in it. I'm planning to go JC next year and will be losing 1 precious year. I know it's a tough decision but it is better to dropout of the course if I have really no interest in it. 

Anyone who experience this situation, care to share your story with me?

Mail me or anything if it is sensative to you. I feel quite sad about it as I do not wish to disappoint my parents in the future.

6,522 posts since May '08
    •  

do you know that if you can get a very high GPA/ dean's list, and then have a diploma with merit/ distinction, thereafter you apply for any relavant degree course in any of our public universities, you can directly get into 2nd year of the degree course as well?

that means you will not lose any year in gap since you will "offset" the time when you compare this route to the JC route.

Edited by Rednano 03 Jul `12, 6:48PM
    13 posts since Jul '12
    • Hi Rednano. I'm aware of doing well in polytechnic might be a way of going uni but right now I don't even like what am I studying now. So is it better for me to switch?

16 posts since May '12
    • Hi Dingda,

I am in the same boat as you. I did quite well in a course that I have no interest in but I was able to perform. Probably worst than you, I don't even know what's my interest as I can't think of anything that interests me. I only know in which field that I can perform. I consulted many people too including my mum. 

So, I did complete my diploma and I was offered a place in NTU/NUS direct entry to 2nd year. But I am serving NS right now.  I do agree with rednano. You also have to remember that interest is something that you can nurture yourself with.

Let make this simple:

1. You complete your diploma - > 2nd year relevant degree / 1st year your so called chosen degree of your interest.Total = 6 / 7 years.

2. Dropout and go to JC -> 1st year degree. Total: 7 years.

The point is, even if you complete your diploma, you can still opt to choose other degree that is not relevant to your previous course provided that you did well.

Going to JC does not guarentee a good future either. And let say if you did not score well in JC, what is your chances of going to uni?

That's just my view la. No hurt feelings ya? :)

•  

even with above average diploma, still can find good diploma job.

but if your A level result just above average, you cannot even go inside our public universities and so it's either go SIM or go work already but get lower salary as diploma is > than an A level cert.

Edited by Rednano 03 Jul `12, 11:43PM
    13 posts since Jul '12
    • Hi guys

Thanks for sharing. I know an A level cert is useless but the admission of going to Uni is higher. I do not want to work after graduating from polytechnic (basically I don't like my course) 

Shadow08 

I know the feeling of studying something that you don't really like. It really hurt me. Opening the lecture notes to study is like a pain for me. I'm landed in this situation because of my colorblind problem. I got kick out from my selected course which upset me. I got very sad quite often as I can't forget the past. This thing keep bringing up into my mind.

Now, I am in IT school. I hate it much than my secondary school subjects so I think JC might be the best route for me now. I don't want to change to other course because I don't want to face the same problem again. Losing a year might be a painful experience for me but there is no option left as I need to study to succeed in my life.

My parents are quite worried about me and I do not wish to disappoint them anymore. I don't know what should I do. 

I know Dip > A level cert

but I don't plan to work after graduating from poly. Do you think it is better for me to go JC now?

I need more advice thank you.

8,468 posts since Apr '05
    • Originally posted by Rednano:

even with above average diploma, still can find good diploma job.

but if your A level result just above average, you cannot even go inside our public universities and so it's either go SIM or go work already but get lower salary as diploma is > than an A level cert.

Proof.

Where's the proof.

• Ironic.

I work with one of them now.

So again.

Where's the proof?

One doesnt just suka-suka whack about such things.

Are you sure that " if your A level result just above average, you cannot even go inside our public universities and so it's either go SIM or go work already."?

teeth.png

Edited by SBS2601D 04 Jul `12, 12:29AM
    19,955 posts since Nov '06
    • What type of IT course are you in? What is your GPA?

If i have no problem in doing well i will just continue with the course, the reason is because i know i am not a person who can score in subjects like English, Maths, Science, Chinese, etc..

Usually in the second and third year, poly modules gets tougher, and you have to work harder just to maintain the same GPA you have, if you already have a high GPA for the first year, it's a good choice to continue maintaining it, because you will have a higher chance of getting into university with a high GPA.

And most importantly, if you choose to continue your poly, you must not stop studying for your modules just because you have no interest, as that will cause your GPA to drop and lessen your chances of getting into local uni.

I will continue the poly route, i feel that poly will give you more exposure than JC(correct me if im wrong).

Depending on your course, you may get to learn different softwares, different skills, meet different people, meet hot girls from other faculty, make friends with lecturers and ask them what they will most likely set for the exams.

I duno in JC, but for poly, if u are driving, you can drive out during breaks between classes to have lunch, drive girls go dating etc etc.

• Originally posted by SBS2601D:

Ironic.

I work with one of them now.

So again.

Where's the proof?

One doesnt just suka-suka whack about such things.

Are you sure that " if your A level result just above average, you cannot even go inside our public universities and so it's either go SIM or go work already."?

teeth.png

please go dig the past press releases and statistics from both MOM and MOE, and as well as media reports that you can readily search from google.com

i got the info from there... and from www.singstat.gov.sg too.

and even if you work with one of them now, you cannot say you know it all and info under your one hand.

if you want your proof, then please go do research by yourself since it's you who want the proof.

i have already back up my comments with the sources that i get my info from.

Edited by Rednano 04 Jul `12, 12:44AM
    • Just be prepared to work your bums off for JC.

And one advantage JC has over poly is that being able to enter a public uni is almost a given unless you screw up.

Its much harder for poly students from my understanding.

Its a different story about your ability to choose the courses you like.

please go dig the past press releases and statistics from both MOM and MOE, and as well as media reports that you can readily search from google.com

i got the info from there... and from www.singstat.gov.sg too.

and even if you work with one of them now, you cannot say you know it all and info under your one hand.

I challenge you, and you reciprocate. Did you learn that from MIW?teeth.pngteeth.png

Edited by SBS2601D 04 Jul `12, 12:47AM
    • Originally posted by SBS2601D:

Why me?

Why not you?

I've already been down that road before.

Where's your proof??teeth.png

I challenge you, and you reciprocate. Did you learn that from MIW?teeth.pngteeth.png

if you want your proof, then please go do research by yourself since it's you who want the proof.

i have already back up my comments with the sources that i get my info from.

16 posts since May '12
    • I still think that you should not go to JC just because you are not interested in your current course. Since you are doing well, why not just complete the course and then choose a different course in uni? I personally think that its a was of time, energy and money to switch to JC. I don't think its worth it.

What's your ideal course that might interest you by the way? If it is business, you can still study business while pursuing your main degree.

In SP, if you did well during your 1st sem, you will be offered a diploma plus program. Which Poly are you from?

13 posts since Jul '12
    • Hi

I know that this is a very difficult decision as I will be wasting a year. It is impossible to go back the past but to move forward. I was being kicked out of my desired course because of my vision problem ( colorblind). Hence i went into another course. I was quite upset and couldn't forget this stupid thing that happen onto me. 

Now, I don't really like my course. It is boring than my secondary school. I wonder how long can I hold on to this course. I know JC is hard and I might not be able to make it as my English is bad.

But right now, I totally lost interest in studying my current course. Though I can force myself to study but I will not be happy for like 3 years. It is a sad thing to say. If I change to JC and did not do well for my A level, then i will be otally screwed as I do not have any future plan after that. 

If anyone face this situation, what will you do? You want to be happy in your life or you want to do something that you don't like in your life. Please advice me more.

Thank you.

616 posts since Aug '06
    • no such thing as cross-faculty modules?

you have no interest in this course at all and yet you still can score so well in it...?

you are born with the capability to excel in this course..

you are academically inclined in this field..it's gifted...

seems that it's god's will that you complete this course and don't give up halfway

you will go very far and grind out creditable achievement if you stick to this course. 

Edited by No_10_Tomas 04 Jul `12, 1:28PM
    13 posts since Jul '12
    • Originally posted by No_10_Tomas:

no such thing as cross-faculty modules?

you have no interest in this course at all and yet you still can score so well in it...?

you are born with the capability to excel in this course..

you are academically inclined in this field..it's gifted...

seems that it's god's will that you complete this course and don't give up halfway

you will go very far and grind out creditable achievement if you stick to this course. 

Hi Tomas

I'm a year 1 student. Currently, the subjects are quite basic and that's why I am able to do well for it. I'm not gifted or something. Basically, I'm trying to do well for it just to change course or school. If I do not have any options left, then I will stay in this course and do well for it reluctantly. Anyway if a student doesn't have interest in the course, doesn't mean he can't study and do well in exam. It is more like forcing yourself to study as you do not want to disappoint your parents. 

I know giving up halfway is not a good thing. By going to any courses or school, you can become a top student if you choose to grind and work hard to score well in order to enter a good university. Making yourself a top student doesn't mean you are happy. Though the achievement and the effort you put in might make you feel proud of it but it is impossible to be happy if you don't really like what you are studying.

•  

now then i recalled...

a few years ago, my ex-CCA secondary school junior ("hi-bye" type aquaintance, so i forgotten about her) went to poly, then after 1 semester, jump to JC1, then JC2 prelim still ok-ok, but then 'A' level cert is called 'partial pass', but still given the cert.   next, she went back to poly year 1 semester 2, suddenly became , got GPA more than 3 out of max 4, went to NTU's BBA. heard now happily married.

Edited by Rednano 04 Jul `12, 4:29PM
    13 posts since Jul '12

now then i recalled...

a few years ago, my ex-CCA secondary school junior ("hi-bye" type aquaintance, so i forgotten about her) went to poly, then after 1 semester, jump to JC1, then JC2 prelim still ok-ok, but then 'A' level cert is called 'partial pass', but still given the cert.   next, she went back to poly year 1 semester 2, suddenly became , got GPA more than 3 out of max 4, went to NTU's BBA. heard now happily married.

I feel sad for her. I know the risk and the danger of that... I also do not want to fall into her state but I am so called  already cause I don't even want to study in that course. I am a bit fuck up right now as I feel very helpless. My decision is so unclear right now because of my current situation. I believed that your friend must have suffered much.

Anyway how much did she get for her O's? I am afraid that I might not be able to do well in JC too. The risk is much higher but I will be more happy while studying in JC more than polytechnic. I supposed it should be. In polytechnic, there's a lot of project work and assignments. I'm not the type who do project work and assignments but more of the studying type... If I change to JC next year, I might be wasting a year. From that 1 year that I have wasted, I will feel more passionate in my studies than being as playful as usual. 

•  

i'm not sure of her exact 'O' level results, but she did well enough to go into TPJC before.

Edited by Rednano 04 Jul `12, 10:42PM
    13 posts since Jul '12

i'm not sure of her exact 'O' level results, but she did well enough to go into TPJC before.

Oh I see. I'm planning to appeal into TPJC too. Now I'm afraid that I might face the same problem as her. Haha tough decision. 

• Thank you guys. 

I hope I will make the best decision out from you guys!

2 posts since Jul '12
    • Hello there! I’m currently in Ngee Ann polytechnic Business Studies but I really do not know what I want to do in future and I’m not sure if poly is the right route for me. I have always been very academically driven and like I was always the top in my class (normal acad) and I got 13 L1R5 for o’s, including CCA bonus, 11. And I want to appeal to get into CJC next year. Is it possible? How do I go about doing it? I really have no idea how.. :/ apart from CJC, what other JCs are like this standard? Help please!

13 posts since Jul '12
    • Originally posted by Isabellalimhuijuan:

Hello there! I’m currently in Ngee Ann polytechnic Business Studies but I really do not know what I want to do in future and I’m not sure if poly is the right route for me. I have always been very academically driven and like I was always the top in my class (normal acad) and I got 13 L1R5 for o’s, including CCA bonus, 11. And I want to appeal to get into CJC next year. Is it possible? How do I go about doing it? I really have no idea how.. :/ apart from CJC, what other JCs are like this standard? Help please!

Hi bella

I know how you feel but can you tell me about your situtuation that you are facing now? I am tempted to move on to JC too after finding my course is too boring. 

Please Login or Signup to reply.