23 Oct, 08:25AM in sunny Singapore!
Home Chit Chat

Will I Get Jailed for Not Paying Starhub Bills?

Subscribe to Will I Get Jailed for Not Paying Starhub Bills? 35 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    63 posts since Apr '10
    • Just as I thought termination of cable tv signals was the end of it, I was dead wrong! Starhub still continue to bill me every month long after the signals had been terminated and I had ignored those bills.

I owed Starhub over 8 months of bills totally $420 and they had sent me a final remainder letter warning me legal action will be taken against me and I have to bear the legal costs if I still do not settle the payment in a week! Looks like I'm in trouble as my total bank account savings is even less than the total amount of bills I had owed and I have less than a week to settle the payment! I know I sound poor and as I use the majority of my monthly salary to pay off my gambling debts and left with just enough money for food. Hence, I am not able to foot my bills until things turn out this way!

Either I go borrow from loansharks or simply ignore the bills and allow Starhub to take me to court! My parents said I can be jailed for oweing Starhub montly bills and legal costs and I am now a worried man! Can the court sentence me to a jail term if Starhub takes me to court or are there any other predictions on what might really happen?

I don't mind spending a few weeks in jail but I am worried that I might lose my security license and my job if I am sent to prison! I'll be as good as dead after being released!

414 posts since Jan '13
    • borrow from the bank(lower interest rate,that is if they allow) Borrow from close  friends and pay back in 1 month.(That is if they are willing to lend you) Alright,quit gambling away your money.website to quit gambling:http://www.gamblingaddiction.tv/page/2

Now is not too late,you have an opportunity to change your life.I know that the worst thing one can live with in Sg is to live with debts.You get so stressed up till you feel like committing suicide. Yeah,you might lose your job,so I suggest you use the above methods instead of loaning from the loan sharks(looking at how you can't afford to pay your bills) as the interest rate is high>it will only accumulate more debts. 

Like i said,borrow from friends,pay starhub,avoid jail,then quit gambling(reduce burden from your family) I am sure that your family members are supportive of you to kick the habit,you can ask them for the money to pay your bills(worse come to worse,I know it is difficult,you feel like your pride is drawn away,but you got to suck it up since you have to avoid prison.I believe your family members don't want you to be sent there.  

Also,do consider this,how much pay are you losing if you were to spend a few weeks(2-3) in jail,I believe that will be enough to clear more of your debts or repay back your friends/family members/bank.

67,620 posts since Dec '03
    910 posts since Jan '12
    • You are dead.

You did one wrong thing after another.

Go talk to them (Starhub) about paying by instalments.

As a business entity, I would rather collect the money slowly then to pay for legal, not worth the effort, unless you owe millions.

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    246,089 posts since Dec '99
    • ignore?

u shd have called to tell them the service had been terminated and they billed wrongly
      or maybe u relli din terminate?

6,585 posts since Jan '06
    • call Starhub and ask them let u pay by installment la....

u think they also want take u to court over a few hundred dollars meh?

63 posts since Apr '10
    • Starhub still continue to bill me every month even after they cut off my signal 4 months ago! I refused to pay up at first because they continue to bill me for 4 months without me even touching my cable tv set! 

Starhub expect me to settle the payment immediately. Even if I negotiate with them, how long do you think Starhub is willing to wait till the entire payment is settled in monthly installments? If Starhub is willing to wait around 10 months, I can settle it. If not, it's impossible for me to make payments as I am still struggling to pay of my gambling debts not to mention monthly mainteance fee to my parents! I can't afford not to clear my gambling debts otherwise someone will come looking for me at my home and my whole family will get into trouble!

Then, I guess I just have to resign to fate and face the music. If imprisonment is really neccessary over such a trivial civil matter, and a week's jail is enough to settle my debts with Starhub, I will gladly take it for now! 

149,791 posts since Feb '01
    • seems like you're more intent on "going to prison" than you are solving the situation...

30,151 posts since Oct '02
    • Originally posted by the Bear:

seems like you're more intent on "going to prison" than you are solving the situation...

TS is more interested to ignore then to solve the problem...

cannot be bothered...

7,456 posts since Aug '05
    • Originally posted by the Bear:

seems like you're more intent on "going to prison" than you are solving the situation...

Hope he's not asking for fun and heel some sound advice given. But if he's asking for fun, here's some "fun" scenerio: No, they won't jail you. (I think) but they will continue to bill you with all the interest add-on. Then, the bill will keep rolling until they sue you for none payment. If you still ignore, then they will summon baliff to start putting stickers in your house followed by declaring you a bankrupt if those stickers still cannot be converted to enough cash to offset your debt. Bless you :(

Edited by SevenEleven 31 Jan `13, 8:55AM
    49,302 posts since Mar '05
    2 posts since Oct '09
    • Hi TS , im able to help as im currently working in starhub , firstly u are able to pay in installments , the installments will be set by starhub , as long u make the payments nothing will happen , but if u default on the installments , then u will be liable to legal actions 

63 posts since Apr '10
    • I think I should return the box and hope to negotiate a good settlement. If the installments are a little unreasonable, I will have to sadly face what's coming next!

2 posts since Oct '09
    • hi TS , so i assumed u have terminated the cable tv service but yet to return the boxes? how many boxes do u have ? 

63 posts since Apr '10
    • I have only 1 box which is the old outdated digital set-top box. I'm not sure Starhub would still want such an old box back. 

Actually, the service has not officially terminated. The signals were just cut off 4 months ago due to unpaid bills. I'm rather surprised Starhub still continue to bill me in those 4 months without me using their service! If Starhub could waive those 4 months of bills, I may be able to settle the amount in full. 

• Originally posted by Country Boy:

I have only 1 box which is the old outdated digital set-top box. I'm not sure Starhub would still want such an old box back. 

Actually, the service has not officially terminated. The signals were just cut off 4 months ago due to unpaid bills. I'm rather surprised Starhub still continue to bill me in those 4 months without me using their service! If Starhub could waive those 4 months of bills, I may be able to settle the amount in full. 

and you sit on your hands.. go talk to them!

yammering online isn't going to do anything

475 posts since Dec '10
    • Quit ur gambling habit before it kills you, starhub issue wont kill u, but gambling is a big yes.

63 posts since Apr '10
    • I acknowledge that gambling has always been an issue for me! I gamble on sports ranging from soccer, basketball, american football and darts. It is difficult to quit especially if I have an online betting account and sometimes betting with advanced credits which is where I began being laden with debts! I was lured into the temptation of 'bet first and pay later' scheme which got me into trouble later on.

I used to be a recreational punter until I met this guy at my workplace who 'doubles' as a betting agent and introduce me to online credit betting. How I wish I should not had talked to him about football then and this wouldn't happen!

I've quit betting with this agent now and only uses my existing betting account with a British betting website which I still use to place small bets every now and then. I am still paying off the money I owed this agent in installments until now!

• Looks like all efforts to resolve this issue is redundant now! I did manage to find time off from work to return the set and negotiate with Starhub just before the Chinese New Year. But they had already mailed me a lawyer letter a day before! Starhub are really impatient and not showing any mercy!

I was instructed to not only settle the bill but also the lawyer fees plus interests! The amount had become close to quite close to $1000 now! If the sum is not being paid, I will bear more legal costs. I think it's game over for me! I am waiting for the final lawyer letter.

I had consulted a friend who told me not to worry as no one gets jailed for not paying bills to a private company and they can't sue me for bankruptcy if the bills and legal do not exceed 10k and they will probably just send me another lawyer letter to blacklist me from Starhub forever and legally list me as a bad creditor which may be reflected at other telcos.Is what my friend told me true? If so, I just resign to my destiny! Can anyone guess the final verdict as I'm still a little worried!

• Originally posted by Country Boy:

Looks like all efforts to resolve this issue is redundant now! I did manage to find time off from work to return the set and negotiate with Starhub just before the Chinese New Year. But they had already mailed me a lawyer letter a day before! Starhub are really impatient and not showing any mercy!

I was instructed to not only settle the bill but also the lawyer fees plus interests! The amount had become close to quite close to $1000 now! If the sum is not being paid, I will bear more legal costs. I think it's game over for me! I am waiting for the final lawyer letter.

I had consulted a friend who told me not to worry as no one gets jailed for not paying bills to a private company and they can't sue me for bankruptcy if the bills and legal do not exceed 10k and they will probably just send me another lawyer letter to blacklist me from Starhub forever and legally list me as a bad creditor which may be reflected at other telcos.Is what my friend told me true? If so, I just resign to my destiny! Can anyone guess the final verdict as I'm still a little worried!

you're an idiot to have ignored the counsel of the people here and let it come to this...

63 posts since Apr '10
    • It is not that I wish to ignore, the conclusion is that I can't afford to pay up period. I still owe debt to my bookie and of course I will always settle that first as it is more serious! After that, I won't have any money to spare.

I also spoken to a relative who works at Starhub and he told me Starhub will only only me to pay 4 months of installments and that will work out to be about $100 every month. Something I can't afford! Therefore, I chose not to do anything and just wait for lawyer's letter. Then, I finally found a day which I am free to probably settle the problem. Too bad they had mailed me their infamous lawyer's letter the previous evening!

30,151 posts since Oct '02
    • Therefore, I chose not to do anything and just wait for lawyer's letter

nuff said... Why complaining since u chose to wait? U made ur choice...

1,450 posts since Nov '11
    • just ignore nothing will happen,don.t be a coward!they r not going to sue for a few hundred dollars!they r only using scare tactics!

8,408 posts since Apr '05
    • I used to work in the debt-collection line. hahaha

They may not sue you, but they can do many things to arm-twist you, and if you don't comply, they can also black-list you from purchasing things in the future.

Those in the debt-collection line are also human, if you are sincere in paying up and showing that you really cannot afford to pay at the moment, we do have the flexibility of acceding on your behalf and helping to arrange for your arrears slowly.

And no. No interest involved in such things. All the more reason to settle it!

But if you do not cooperate with us, we have ways to track you down and skip-trace. And when that happens, we will also do debt-collection, ah-long style, the legal way. i.e visiting house, relatives, spamming mail-box with colourful pink paper etc etc.

And dont think for a moment that Starhub will forget you so easily. Because external debt-collectors who fail to get $$$ from you will simply pass it on to another one, and the whole process repeats.

Save yourself the trouble and just communicate with Starhub la.

4 posts since Feb '13
    • Bro .. the money you own starhub is a small amount so you never get jail.. but no such thing where you get jail for this. My advised negotiate with them for installment. I think you can adsk for temporary disruption . Only continue when you make full payment. . Do not go on silence cause it will only add up more for you like you have to pay termination fees plus legal fees and this can crazily add to $2000 plus..

Please Login or Signup to reply.