Home Chit Chat

Pokémon Go in SG

Subscribe to Pokémon Go in SG 211 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    265,030 posts since Dec '99
    • Japan woman dies in Pokemon Go car accident

TOKYO: A driver who was allegedly playing Pokemon Go when he hit and killed a woman in Japan has been arrested, police said on Wednesday (Aug 24).

Media said that Tuesday's incident marked Japan's first fatal vehicle accident involving the popular gaming app.

Keiji Gooh, a 39-year-old farmer, allegedly struck two women on Tuesday evening on a road in Tokushima city, western Japan, as he played the app while driving, a police spokesman said.

One of the women, aged 72, died while the other, 60, was seriously injured, the spokesman said.

Jiji Press said it was the nation's first fatal accident involving a driver playing Pokemon Go while at the wheel.

Jiji also said there have been nearly 80 accidents in Japan involving modes of transportation including cars and bicycles since the app was introduced into Japan last month.

Authorities worldwide have issued a slew of warnings since the hugely popular smartphone app was launched in July.

It has already been blamed for a wave of crimes, traffic violations and complaints in cities around the globe.

The free app uses satellite locations, graphics and camera capabilities to overlay cartoon monsters on real-world settings, challenging players to capture and train the creatures for battles.

Pokemon has been popular in Japan since first being launched as software in 1996 for Nintendo's iconic Game Boy console.

It expanded into other media, most notably a wildly popular TV animation show and its popularity has never waned.

- AFP/ec

Edited by FireIce 24 Aug `16, 8:00PM
    • HAHAHA this Singaporean girl's complaint letter to Pokemon Go is hilarious!!!!

2 posts since Aug '16
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    10 posts since Aug '16
    9 posts since Aug '09
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    31,271 posts since Oct '02
    •  not much interaction with each other leh...

apart from gym, cannot challenge friends, cannot trade etc...

• they should maybe have a "challenge nearby" player function...

• Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • vivocity is indeed a pokemon heaven

All the Pokémon Go app updates you need to know about

Apparently a Redditor has found proof in the app's code that confirms trading, legendary Pokémon and new types of incense will be coming to the game.

The code strings "Trade_offer", "Trade_response" and "Trade_result" have been spotted in the code, which means that trading will be appearing soon but it is unclear whether this means that the trade will work only locally or globally. We're hoping for the latter as this would mean that players won't have to fly to other continents just to bag region specific Pokémon.

6 posts since Jul '15
    17 posts since Sep '16
    13 posts since Sep '16
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    493 posts since Jul '14
    10 posts since Sep '16
    9 posts since Sep '16
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • Ex-insurance agent earns hundreds a night catching Pokemon

His office is at Block 401, Hougang Avenue 10.

His working hours? 6pm to 6am.

Almost every evening, Mr Brandon Tan plonks himself down near a PokeStop.

He then plays the game on four iPads, his fingers flying across the screens, spinning PokeStops and throwing Pokeballs. He even looks like a deejay at the turntables.

But Mr Tan, 25, is actually being paid to "power-level" the accounts of other Pokemon Go players.

He charges these players $25 an hour. He will log in to their account and help them gain experience points in the game.

If a player "books" him for eight continuous hours, Mr Tan offers the ninth hour for free.

The New Paper reported on Aug 11 that other players are offering such levelling up services on marketplace application Carousell.

However, sharing an account is actually frowned upon by the game's developer Niantic Labs, which considers it cheating. Those caught doing it may be suspended or have their account terminated.

Mr Tan, who worked as an insurance agent for a year, is not holding a full-time job.

Since starting this service on Aug 16, he said he has earned a four-figure sum from about 20 clients.About half are based in Singapore. The rest are from countries such as Austria, Switzerland and the US.

"In other countries, PokeStops are far away from each other. We're lucky that in Singapore, we have clusters of PokeStops. So these players from other countries would ask me to help them level up," Mr Tan told The New Paper.

Local players, on the other hand, approach him because they may not have the time to play.

"Some paid me (to play) for nine hours a day, for five days straight," he said.

Mr Tan has advertised his services on his Facebook page. He also places two iPads - displaying an ad for his services - near where he sits every day to play the game.

COMFORTABLE

Apart from his six iPads, his nightly set-up includes two foldable tables, five power banks, a bag and, sometimes, foldable chairs.

He changes his set-up depending on where he can find a comfortable spot, whether it is a playground next to Block 401, the void deck or a nearby coffee shop.

"On good nights, I earn $200 to $300. Some nights, I get no clients at all, so I don't earn anything," he said.

Mr Tan, an active gamer of about seven years, has a YouTube channel, BrandonTan91, where he uploads videos of himself playing Clash Of Clans and Clash Royal. The channel has over 166,000 subscribers.

He said he earns about $1,000 of advertising revenue from YouTube every month.

Pokemon Go players The New Paper spoke to said they probably would not hire Mr Tan.

Student Jedidiah Seah, 24, said doing so would take away the joy of playing the game.

"When I catch rare Pokemon or level up, it is my own personal achievement," he said.

On good nights, I earn $200 to $300. Some nights, I get no clients at all, so I don't earn anything

- Mr Brandon Tan

TNP

• All the Pokémon Go app updates you need to know about

Update: Next update will bring companion Pokémon, new Nearby feature still in beta

If you've been frustrated with the current Nearby feature in Pokémon Go, hold on. A new updated Nearby that will let you find nearby Pokémon is already in beta testing but only in San Francisco at the moment. Screenshots from Twitter user @ummjackson has shown the update in action and it looks like it will drastically cut down on the time needed to catch a Pokémon.

In more official news, Niantic has posted on its Facebook page that the next update will let trainers choose a companion Pokémon on their journeys. Walking around with your Pokémon will net a small amount of candy, and you can switch out your companion for a different Pokémon whenever you wish.

Your Pokémon companion will also appear with you in-game, which will likely make Pokémon fans pretty happy nostalgia-wise. Having a little Pokémon buddy that also contributes to your gaming experience is a pretty nifty idea, but note to Niantic: we'd be happier if you get that Nearby feature working ASAP.

There's currently no word when either feature goes live but we'll keep you update as soon as it happens.

[Source: @ummjacksonNiantic]

image: http://images.cdn.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/Nintendo/pokemon_go_teams.jpg?itok=mo_Kk3fG

At the Pokémon Go Comic-Con panel, Niantic CEO John Hanke revealed that yes, Pokémon Go will have more Pokémon added beyond the current first-gen available in the game. To players complaining the game forces them to go outside, Hanke revealed that it was the game's intent all along. He said, "The game's really an excuse to go outside, see your city, and have fun with other people."

While not revealing an exact timeline, Hanke said that besides the current first generation Pokémon 'some others' will also make an appearance in future. Niantic is currently working on the basics, such as keeping the game's servers up and running.

PokéStops are also likely to see modifications, including the ability to convert them into healing Pokécentres. Trading and training Pokémon are in the pipeline and Niantic hasn't discounted the possibility of Pokémon breeding features. 

image: http://images.cdn.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/Apps/Pokemon_Go/pokemon-go_2.jpg?itok=fa1thyHf

Trainers on Reddit have noticed what seems to be server-side updates to the game. Comparing some newly evolved Pokémon with older evolutions seems to confirm it. Also changed: dodging, set to 75 per cent damage evasion in battles.

Some players have also seen regional spawn rates increase, though it is not something enjoyed by all players however. There have also been reports of better potion drop rates, rare spawn increase as well as what looks like faster egg hatching due to the game server updating egg distance progress more rapidly.

It could be that some areas are seeing a better Pokémon Go experience than others for the time being, perhaps we'll see things improve globally once the next game update rolls out.

[Source: The Verge]

image: http://images.cdn.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/Nintendo/pokemon_go_screens03.jpg?itok=piS84h67

Niantic made a formal announcement that it is rolling out a new update to phones. For Android, the game will be updated to version 0.35.0 and 1.5.0 for iOS.

Trainers will now get to know about specific Pokémon’s attack and defence capabilities from their team leaders, to better determine which is the better Pokémon for battles.

Niantic also said that it was prepping other features to come soon for the app, so watch this space.

image: http://images.cdn.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/Nintendo/pikachu_mewtwo.jpg?itok=GadBAJdL

Hold on to your Pokémon, trainers. If you've been feeling the Pokémon Go fatigue (look, there's only so many Magikarp you can catch before wanting to toss your phone) then be patient as new updates are coming.

Apparently a Redditor has found proof in the app's code that confirms trading, legendary Pokémon and new types of incense will be coming to the game.

The code strings "Trade_offer", "Trade_response" and "Trade_result" have been spotted in the code, which means that trading will be appearing soon but it is unclear whether this means that the trade will work only locally or globally. We're hoping for the latter as this would mean that players won't have to fly to other continents just to bag region specific Pokémon.

As for the legendary Pokémon, the string "activity_catch_legend_pokemon" has been spotted before, maybe now is the time the rare Pokémon actually appear? More code has also shown incense that is spicy, cool and floral, perhaps to attract specific type of Pokémon.

There is no ETA for the code to actually activate but with the servers stabilising so far and a noticeable drop-off in players (which might make it manageable), Niantic might finally be ready to end the current drudgery of catching 'em all and having nothing else to do besides.

[Source: Forbes]

image: http://images.cdn.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/Nintendo/pokemon_go_starters.jpg?itok=eoOC5WZ9

If you've been banned unfairly (e.g you didn't cheat), there's hope you just might get your account reinstated on Pokémon Go. The official site confirmed that some accounts have been reinstated, namely those who had been using apps that scrape data from Pokémon Go servers such as Pokévision.

While Niantic will continue blocking apps that scrape data from servers, saying that these end-user apps "can be used as a collection tool", it will unban accounts that were previously blocked not for cheating but for using these disallowed add-on map tools.

However if you have been using apps or websites to remotely play the game, using bots and the like, your account will remain banned.

In other news, Pokémon Go players who had been facing problems with gyms will be pleased to know that Niantic seems to have fixed whatever issue the gyms have had so you can go forth and keep pummeling the rival teams.

Stuff.tv

8 posts since Jun '09
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    • Singapore guy goes around the world to catch all 145 Pokemon without cheating -- and uploads plane tickets as proof

Is this the first Singaporean guy who has completed his Pokedex with 145 Pokemon?

Chapman Sim shared his epic Pokemon journey in a Facebook album with screenshots of his catches and snapshots of his plane tickets and travels.

According to Chapman, he completed his quest to catch 'em all in one month -- completely without cheating or spoofing.

He wrote:

"I've been a professional gamer for over a decade and as one of the first few players in the world to complete Pokemon Go (and probably first in Singapore and first in Asia as well).

"I'm incredibly proud, especially when I did it in just around 1 month and without cheating such as GPS spoofing or getting someone to log in for me!

"My account is clean and that is another source of pride!"

He managed to catch region-exclusive Pokemon like Kangaskhan, FarFetch'd, Tauros and Mr. Mime by flying to various countries like Australia and USA.

He camped at various sites for the exclusive Pokemon. In a Facebook comment, he revealed that he has some days where he spent 12 full hours hunting for Pokemon. 

True Pokemon master indeed! Check out the gallery to follow him on his Pokemon journey.

31,271 posts since Oct '02
    • Originally posted by FireIce:

Singapore guy goes around the world to catch all 145 Pokemon without cheating -- and uploads plane tickets as proof

Is this the first Singaporean guy who has completed his Pokedex with 145 Pokemon?

Chapman Sim shared his epic Pokemon journey in a Facebook album with screenshots of his catches and snapshots of his plane tickets and travels.

According to Chapman, he completed his quest to catch 'em all in one month -- completely without cheating or spoofing.

He wrote:

"I've been a professional gamer for over a decade and as one of the first few players in the world to complete Pokemon Go (and probably first in Singapore and first in Asia as well).

"My account is clean and that is another source of pride!"

He managed to catch region-exclusive Pokemon like Kangaskhan, FarFetch'd, Tauros and Mr. Mime by flying to various countries like Australia and USA.

He camped at various sites for the exclusive Pokemon. In a Facebook comment, he revealed that he has some days where he spent 12 full hours hunting for Pokemon. 

True Pokemon master indeed! Check out the gallery to follow him on his Pokemon journey.

Ok la, gotta give credit.

Someone give him a pack of cai png~

4 posts since Sep '16
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    2,748 posts since Jan '08
    • Pokemon is back again - wow.  I don't see the obsession with the game?  You just collect them and that's all!  I have better things to do in my spare time!  My brother collected those cards a very LONG time ago.

Please Login or Signup to reply.