Subscribe to Why do Japanese wear masks in winter? 17 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    20 posts since Jun '16
  • Queen of sgForums
    驚世駭俗醜不啦嘰 moderatress
    263,584 posts since Dec '99
    12 posts since Dec '16
    10 posts since Oct '14
    • https://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/why-do-japanese-people-wear-surgical-masks-its-not-always-for-health-reasons

10 posts since Jan '17
    1 post since Sep '16
    • Sometimes cold air can irritate your nose, maybe that's why, but I think it's more of a fashion trend 

11 posts since Mar '17
    • Its to prevent germs getting on their face in case they sneeze since during rush hour their train is packed like sardine

16 posts since Mar '17
    1 post since Mar '17
    • I think is a habit + culture thing. When I was in Japan, I see Japanese wear mask all the time regardless of season. Might be because some of them are sick to. It's always more polite to wear a mask when you are sick

1 post since Mar '17
    2 posts since May '17
    • I am living in Japan, and have been for the past 3 years, the answer is a mixture of both culture and weather.

Weather: Cold wind makes your lips dry easily, or is extremely painful for your face in general if the cold wind directly contact your face.

Culture: When they feel that they are too lazy to put on make up (which is a thing here more so than in SG) they wear them to cover their face. (Cold winter is harder to wake up to)

11 posts since May '17
    21 posts since May '17
    • The air quality shouldn't be too bad in Japan. Big cities might be different though...

11 posts since Mar '13
    • they are very conscious about smog on the road. and afraid of the spread of diseases since a series of deadly Avian flu.

33 posts since May '17
    • risk of catching colds - they take very crowded public transit, and if someone is coughing, everyone is inhaling.  

2 posts since Jul '17
    9 posts since Aug '17
Please Login or Signup to reply.