03 Sep, 12:28AM in sunny Singapore!

SM call to wealthy : Give 0.5% of annual pay to needy

Subscribe to SM call to wealthy : Give 0.5% of annual pay to needy 59 posts

Please Login or Signup to reply.
    3,012 posts since Sep '06
    • maybe they know there might be a public backslash on ministers to lead the example so thats y they came up with 0.5% instead of 5% instead.. Rolling Eyes

1,134 posts since Jun '06
    • The mother of revolution and crime is poverty-Aristotle

Is this a sign that GCT is feeling gulity because of the extreme absurbly marked up of ministers' salaries they are getting?

278 posts since Jun '05
    192 posts since Sep '05
    • Originally posted by Ito_^:
      sorry, they say 0.5%, not 5%

They're all the so-called leaders, all the more they should lead by example, that's y they should give more. Is giving 5% of their annual salary to the needy too much, I absolutely dun think so. It's always like this, for many years already, these people like to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Are their pockets filled to the brim with money that they cannot walk the walk??? Bloody hell!!!

302 posts since Aug '06
    3,355 posts since Feb '06
    • Country of philanthropy my ass ! The ministers’ high salaries come from taxes.
      The rich has moral obligation to return a part of their wealth to help the less fortunate, like what Sim Wong Hoo did
      How can the poor accept the ministers’ and top civil servants’ money that comes from taxes? That money comes from us, the taxpayers. A part of the taxes should go towards helping the poor. I don’t understand why the govt keep insisting that there’s no free lunch.
      They still don’t get it. It’s their high salaries that the citizens feel is not justified. No, I think they get it but they just don’t care.
      How I wish that there’s such a thing known as compensation in life. Let their anus have problems. Have intake but no exhaust. Slowly but steadily, all their internal organs start to fall sick. That will be the compensation for their contribution to the country.

12,915 posts since Sep '06
    • Even if they donate 50% of their salary, they still have $1 million worth of peanuts a year.

Edited by maurizio13 04 Feb `07, 12:26AM
    7,187 posts since Jul '02
    • I tink they should peg it to GST.... Gst increases... so do donations to needy...

if it's done this way... u can be sure that gst's not gg up to 7% Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

30,604 posts since Mar '05
    • Originally posted by the Bear:
      so.. people earning a million should give 5k to needy?

No wonder minsterial salaries have to increase.

They have to factor in this 0.5% that they supposedly may have to give.Laughing

1,450 posts since Jan '05
    • Originally posted by googoomuck:
      Country of philanthropy my ass ! The ministers’ high salaries come from taxes.
      The rich has moral obligation to return a part of their wealth to help the less fortunate, like what Sim Wong Hoo did
      How can the poor accept the ministers’ and top civil servants’ money that comes from taxes? That money comes from us, the taxpayers. A part of the taxes should go towards helping the poor. I don’t understand why the govt keep insisting that there’s no free lunch.
      They still don’t get it. It’s their high salaries that the citizens feel is not justified. No, I think they get it but they just don’t care.
      How I wish that there’s such a thing known as compensation in life. Let their anus have problems. Have intake but no exhaust. Slowly but steadily, all their internal organs start to fall sick. That will be the compensation for their contribution to the country.

This PAP Party's Motto.......No Free Lunches! No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches!No Free Lunches! Mr. Green

3,355 posts since Feb '06
    • Originally posted by charlize:
      No wonder minsterial salaries have to increase.

They have to factor in this 0.5% that they supposedly may have to give.Laughing

I think Ya kun kaya toast has decided to join goh chok tong’s “country known for philanthropy” scheme. I learned from another thread that ya kun has raised it’s coffee/toast breakfast by 20 sen.

3,473 posts since Feb '04
    • I think Ya kun kaya toast has decided to join goh chok tong’s “country known for philanthropy” scheme. I learned from another thread that ya kun has raised it’s coffee/toast breakfast by 20 sen.

Ya kun kaya toast still bread and kaya and coffee. if theu raise by 20cents, dont buy from them.

0.5% to them is peanust la. if i am millionaire and i say donate 0.5% i feel paiseh also. anyway, the skin is always thicker for the men in white.

1,134 posts since Jun '06
    • Originally posted by reyes:
      [b]
      0.5% to them is peanust la. if i am millionaire and i say donate 0.5% i feel paiseh also. anyway, the skin is always thicker for the men in white.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

1,142 posts since Nov '04
    • Originally posted by sunny6110:
      I tink they should peg it to GST.... Gst increases... so do donations to needy...

if it's done this way... u can be sure that gst's not gg up to 7% Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

i think that's a good idea to peg their donation to gst to show their sincerity and concern for the singapore poor!

149,790 posts since Feb '01
    • charity should be from the heart...

if they have a heart or what colour it is, is another argument altogether Laughing

1,387 posts since Jul '06

• He will creat a fund which is known as Mr Peanut's fund and colect our $ and operate like NKF sucking dry all the $ and then say this is f the needy!!!

Very smart move!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

4,307 posts since Jul '04
    • By means of artful and dubious arguments, ministers have gone to the parliaments and got their own mps to recommend and vote for their own salary jumps from peanuts (S$600,000.00 pa) which were already too high in the early days (1070s) to S$2,000,000.00 pa not to mention the other rewards like super-bonus of 6 months which the citizens were not entitled to and annuities at 2/3 of S$2,000,000.00 pa for life after two terms.

The ministers seem to think that as long as they can command the mps and influence them into passing the motions or laws, they could be justified in such self-rewards.

This type of passing of relevant motions in parliaments to benefit themselves is against the company acts and regulations and have been deemed conflicts of interest, illegal and unlawful in the running of management corporation where chairman who spend on public funds on dining were made to return to the management corporation. Government MPs who sit as directors on public listed companies were open to prosecution for self-approving of loans to their associates.

If our ministers want to maintain their dignity and reputation and have the moral and legal right to sue anyone for defamation, in the first place they should desist from such self-approval and self-recommendations and lead by example.

Such self-rewards might have been approved by parliament by voting but the comparisons with private sector's highest paid CEOs are flawed and illogical and were made without proper apple-to-apple comparisons as many of these private sector ceos were entrepreneur investors who stand to lose their millions of investments should their business fail whereas our ministers and public servants do not incur such risk of their own monies. Many CEOs have proven their worths to their own board like having invented or originated a successful product before they were granted their ceo salaries or bonuses.

It will be wrongful to claim that our ministers of civil servants were like Osim or Venture Manufacturing bosses and deserve to be paid their equivalent of salaries.

Independent salary assessments should have been made by an independent panel of experts which will provide all facts which can be vetted by the people.

This kind of conduct or behaviour by the ministers themselves appears to have been copied by NKF/Durai as testified in court last week which were described as shameful, hypocritical, and abuse of public donation monies for their own benefits.

Our ministers and their wives have openly praised Durai and supported his various actions from paying only 4 cts per charity donation dollar towards patients' treatment costs to hoarding of donation monies into 30-year reserve thereby depriving patients of their entitled treatments.

Such super-peanut salaries like S$2,000,000.00 pa should be brought down to size or re-assessed by independent panel and excesses refunded back to the people before SM Goh donates 0.5% of it to charity or the the poor and deprived.

Edited by robertteh 05 Feb `07, 10:30AM
    1,450 posts since Jan '05
    • Originally posted by robertteh:
      By means of artful and dubious arguments, ministers have gone to the parliaments and got their mps to recommend and vote for their own salary jumps from peanuts (S$600,000.00 pa) in the early days (1070s) to S$2,000,000.00 pa not to mention the other rewards like super-bonus of 6 months which the citizens were not entitled to and annuities at 2/3 of S$2,000,000.00 pa for life after two terms.

Such self-rewards might have been approved by parliament by voting but the comparisons with private sector's highest paid CEOs are flawed and illogical and were made without proper apple-to-apple comparisons as many of these private sector ceos were entrepreneur investors who stand to lose their millions of investments should their business fail whereas our ministers and public servants do not incur such risk of their own monies. Many CEOs have proven their worths to their own board like having invented or originated a successful product before they were granted their ceo salaries or bonuses.

It will be wrongful to claim that our ministers of civil servants were like Osim or Venture Manufacturing bosses and deserve to be paid their equivalent of salaries.

Independent salary assessments should have been made by an independent panel of experts which will provide all facts which can be vetted by the people.

This kind of conduct or behaviour by the ministers themselves appears to have been copied by NKF/Durai as testified in court last week which were described as shameful, hypocritical, and abuse of public donation monies for their own benefits.

Our ministers and their wives have openly praised Durai and supported his various actions from paying only 4 cts per charity donation dollar towards patients' treatment costs to hoarding of donation monies into 30-year reserve thereby depriving patients of their entitled treatments.

Such super-peanut salaries like S$2,000,000.00 pa should be brought down to size or re-assessed by independent panel and excesses refunded back to the people before SM Goh donates 0.5% of it to charity or the the poor and deprived.

Well done!!! Mrs Peanut Goh Chok Tong and Mdm ho ching!!!

2,589 posts since Nov '06
    • Get Peanut Goh to donate 10% of his annual income to help those lower income groups who have been affected by the hike in GST. He will have to personally go down to sheng siong supermarket and buy milkpowder and bags of rice to give them out blocks by blocks, unit by unit.

This way, it will really goes to show he is a minister who care for his people and maybe atone the sins for Mrs Peanut Goh.

4,740 posts since Feb '06
    • Originally posted by SevenEleven:

How about the government taking a lead into the giving process? Having our PM, SM, MM and the President in giving their 0.5% of their annual remurations to the needy...

Lead by example mah! Mr. Green

11,473 posts since May '04

• 1. 2% increase in GST is to help the poor isn't it? So LHL mis-calculated?

2. Trust in the charity bodies, government bodies are broken by the very people who ask us to donate : Peanuts for salary, GCT wife denies everything, ministers in Singapore are best paid, high pay =/= no corruption rubbish, and many many more lies. Who knows who really build Singapore .. everything that happened might just be lies, and empty shell without substance.

3. When the ministers donate, are they not taking our tax dollar and donating back to us? This feels like a slap.

4. If the ministers donate, would they approve for a further increase to their million dollar salary to cover for the loss of monies due to donation?

5. Once again, appealing the public to donate. The public to give. But the government is so tight fisted. Poor people have to jump tracks. LHL is always talking about a wonderful future where the the money will be used. So isn't now time?

6. The government tell us there is "No Free Lunch!", Welfare state is evil. We have to tell them, they are having free lunch off our blood and sweat.

7. Prices of common goods keep increasing. Transport, erp, coe, housing, water, electricity, more fines and etc. These could easily be diverted to help the needy.

8. Its time to be more humble.

1,775 posts since Dec '06
    • The shining hypocrisy of the Singapore Govt has never surprised me, although this is the most blatantly hypocritical statements ever issued.

Seriously, these guys are rich on our freaking money. What the hell!?!

1,642 posts since Dec '06
    • I have been thinking about some thing recently.

In other countries, some politicians MAY practise corruption, but maybe the amount that they embezzle or get out of the whole thing might be $900,000 (just to give it a figure).

In Singapore, they just openly give themselves a high salary, pegging it to the top income earners in the private sector. Say maybe they get $1 million a year... so to compensate the 0.5% given to charity, a 2 months bonus will compensate everything.

So can I safely say that corruption is totally none existant in Singapore, as in no favorism given to any particular companies or individual, no particular policies or situation being more advantageous to certain companies or individual?

Another thing to think about...

I am quite surprised that companies like Temasek Holdings can accept blunders by their top guys so graciously, or is it they cannot do anything to the top honchos?

29,889 posts since Jun '03
    • Originally posted by foomwee88:
      He will creat a fund which is known as Mr Peanut's fund and colect our $ and operate like NKF sucking dry all the $ and then say this is f the needy!!!

Very smart move!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

hanor, quite worry dat whether this money really will go to the poors... maybe it landed up to be in the MIWs' pockets instead. Confused

if the poors really benefit from it, there will be less pple jumping off the mrt track.

1,387 posts since Jul '06
    • Originally posted by 798:
      hanor, quite worry dat whether this money really will go to the poors... maybe it landed up to be in the MIWs' pockets instead. Confused

if the poors really benefit from it, there will be less pple jumping off the mrt track.

Knowing them 2 well liao,only used their legal suit win $ to donate to the poors!!
      In Hokkien take other pps'backside to cover his face ,Never!!! using their single cents to help the needly!!!

We Sillyporeans dont dream lah,they r the sucker and not giver!!!!that why my C always feel the pain!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Please Login or Signup to reply.